Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Living wage in the UK is simply enough to feed, shelter and transport yourself. Not about supporting a family too. So the minimum wage is an absolute joke because it doesn't actually meet minimums. I have no clue how that compares to the US right enough.

Which is the point/purpose of a minimum wage. And exactly as it should be.

The minimum doesn't include providing for anyone else.

My point is, our minimum wage is below the living wage. Although the government rebranded the minimum as the living wage without making it an actual living wage.

Whether or not the UK minimum wage is sufficient to support a single person depends on quite a few factors, primarily their location. In many parts of the country (aka not London/commuter belt) it's perfectly possible - but probably not fun unless you're into cheap hobbies. I've done it myself so it does get on my nerves slightly when people blanketly claim the minimum wage isn't enough for a minimum living cost. It isn't in London, but that's a different claim.

Just as in the US(Excepting NY, DC, Seattle, LA/SF) It's quite sufficient. and in some places more than sufficient. Places like Montgomery AL, or Columbia, SC, or Abilene TX, It's sufficient for a couple on a single income, these are obviously examples, and not an exhaustive list.

The last statement does not make sense to me. Minimum wage in the U.S. is $9.00/hr. At 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year ($18,720 annually), that puts the earner in the 2nd to lowest income bracket for 2017, which means they would take home about $1400 if filing married/jointly. I just checked Craigslist and see an average rental for an apartment in Columbia SC could easily be $750/mo. (rents ranged from $575 up to $1200, though the higher end were clearly luxury apts.) So a budget for two people is supposed to look like this?
    Rent $750
    Utilities (gas/electric/water) $150+ (in my experience, this can be more)
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Phone (basic cell plan for 2 people) $60
    Car payment $250 -OR- Cab/Bus fare for travel to/from work, stores, etc. $120
    Laundry $25

That leaves $150-$270 for all the rest... groceries (for 2), life insurance, internet service, healthcare co-pays, haircuts, clothing, car insurance. Not all of those are "necessities", but realistically are a part of most people's lives. How is that quite sufficient? Even if they do get some assistance through SNAP, I just don't see it as "quite sufficient." Even the lowest earners deserve to have an extra $100 a month to put in an emergency fund, you will notice there's no room for that in this hypothetical budget.

Took me forever to type this response, so apologies if anyone covered this angle in the interim.

I'm going to copy your list and make some adjustments - obviously I'm in the UK so serious pinch of salt required...

Rent $750
    Utilities (gas/electric/water) $150+ (in my experience, this can be more) I pay £50 ~ $70 in the UK - is it really so much more expensive in the US? I have a big flat with 10ft ceilings, it isn't cheap to heat...
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Phone (basic cell plan for 2 people) $60 Twice my mobile bill of £15 gives me ~$40
    Car payment $250 -OR- Cab/Bus fare for travel to/from work, stores, etc. $120 If you work a minimum wage job wouldn't you walk to work/stores/etc? I get the occasional local bus/cab/train, maybe £20/month ~ $25?
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

Do you not have any sort of property/local amenity taxes to pay though? Or is it all income tax?

I do often find that people who have never had to live on less don't understand just how little it is possible to get things for. If you've never known any different they might well be happy with that :) And they might enjoy the time they have too!

As a caveat I should have said, I'm using approximate figures, but trying to not be crazy-high on my estimates.

Property taxes are paid by the owner of the property (and theoretically incorporated into the rent amounts). There are state and local sales taxes in my state. Those are just paid at the store when buying taxable items. I live in a fairly low-cost state (Nebraska) have lived in a large city and in two different towns of <200 residents, and my lowest electric bill while living in an apt. was $60, highest about $150. (In a house, bills were $150 up to $375 at times). But there's also a separate natural gas company avg. $50-75/mo. Water bills range from $30-75/mo. Sometimes water is included in rent, but not always.

Yes, you have a point about the transportation. Walking and biking are mostly free except for shoes and maintenance. So we could eliminate that completely, or drop it down to $20/mo for ongoing maintenance.

If you live in apartment you don't usually have a washer/dryer. $1.25+ per load to wash, $1.50+ per load to dry. Average of 3 loads per week for 2 people (example - linens, business clothes, casual clothes) comes to $33 per 4 weeks.

Phone - that is straight out of my budget. Husband and I have 2 flip phones (i.e. not smart phones) with a very basic plan and it costs us $55/mo. When we each had a smart phone with internet the bill was about $175/mo.

Maybe I'm wrong about how these costs play out when compared over the US.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Living wage in the UK is simply enough to feed, shelter and transport yourself. Not about supporting a family too. So the minimum wage is an absolute joke because it doesn't actually meet minimums. I have no clue how that compares to the US right enough.

My point is, our minimum wage is below the living wage. Although the government rebranded the minimum as the living wage without making it an actual living wage.

Whether or not the UK minimum wage is sufficient to support a single person depends on quite a few factors, primarily their location. In many parts of the country (aka not London/commuter belt) it's perfectly possible - but probably not fun unless you're into cheap hobbies. I've done it myself so it does get on my nerves slightly when people blanketly claim the minimum wage isn't enough for a minimum living cost. It isn't in London, but that's a different claim.

Just as in the US(Excepting NY, DC, Seattle, LA/SF) It's quite sufficient. and in some places more than sufficient. Places like Montgomery AL, or Columbia, SC, or Abilene TX, It's sufficient for a couple on a single income, these are obviously examples, and not an exhaustive list.

The last statement does not make sense to me. Minimum wage in the U.S. is $9.00/hr. At 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year ($18,720 annually), that puts the earner in the 2nd to lowest income bracket for 2017, which means they would take home about $1400 if filing married/jointly. I just checked Craigslist and see an average rental for an apartment in Columbia SC could easily be $750/mo. (rents ranged from $575 up to $1200, though the higher end were clearly luxury apts.) So a budget for two people is supposed to look like this?
    Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

That leaves $150-$270 for all the rest... groceries (for 2), life insurance, internet service, healthcare co-pays, haircuts, clothing, car insurance. Not all of those are "necessities", but realistically are a part of most people's lives. How is that quite sufficient? Even if they do get some assistance through SNAP, I just don't see it as "quite sufficient." Even the lowest earners deserve to have an extra $100 a month to put in an emergency fund, you will notice there's no room for that in this hypothetical budget.

Took me forever to type this response, so apologies if anyone covered this angle in the interim.

I'm going to copy your list and make some adjustments - obviously I'm in the UK so serious pinch of salt required...

Rent $750
    Utilities (gas/electric/water) $150+ (in my experience, this can be more) I pay £50 ~ $70 in the UK - is it really so much more expensive in the US? I have a big flat with 10ft ceilings, it isn't cheap to heat...
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Phone (basic cell plan for 2 people) $60 Twice my mobile bill of £15 gives me ~$40
    Car payment $250 -OR- Cab/Bus fare for travel to/from work, stores, etc. $120 If you work a minimum wage job wouldn't you walk to work/stores/etc? I get the occasional local bus/cab/train, maybe £20/month ~ $25?
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

Do you not have any sort of property/local amenity taxes to pay though? Or is it all income tax?

I do often find that people who have never had to live on less don't understand just how little it is possible to get things for. If you've never known any different they might well be happy with that :) And they might enjoy the time they have too!

Unfortunately electric costs vary so wildly it's hard to estimate or compare from one region to another.

And yes, walking is an option in many places, although most Americans outside of a few large cities believe that having a car is a civil right.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

ETA: I guess minimum wage in South Carolina is actually $7.25, so that changes the take home to $1,131 per month. They changed minimum wage to $9 in my state a few years back and I forgot that wasn't nation-wide.

You're talking about expenses for 2 people. Why isn't the second person working to double the income?

If not married, find a roommate and cut the rent in half.

Yes, I am talking about that (and I agree, 2nd person having a job obviously makes it better) but I was responding to someone's statement that 2 people could live "quite sufficiently" off a single income in a low-cost area such as those that the poster listed.

On a related note, maybe my own state is not as low cost as I thought. :)

Switching to my state now, since that's what I know best. If I were to average the rents here in Nebraska, I would maybe drop it down to $550. Yes, buying is cheaper...but we're talking about low income, so assuming they have no existing debt, a "good" credit score and $1000 down payment, they could afford $63,000.00 house (monthly payment $600). In order to do a no or low money down loan the house has to meet an FHA inspection. Honestly, you're not going to find a home that meets FHA requirements for that price here. (I know -I've been looking to buy for the last 15 months, and most houses under $90K aren't going to meet those minimum inspection requirements.) I get what you're saying but it's not as simple as that.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

ETA: I guess minimum wage in South Carolina is actually $7.25, so that changes the take home to $1,131 per month. They changed minimum wage to $9 in my state a few years back and I forgot that wasn't nation-wide.

You're talking about expenses for 2 people. Why isn't the second person working to double the income?

She was responding to my assertion that a young couple can subsist in several locations on a single minimum wage income.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Yes, I am talking about that (and I agree, 2nd person having a job obviously makes it better) but I was responding to someone's statement that 2 people could live "quite sufficiently" off a single income in a low-cost area such as those that the poster listed.

Switching to my state now, since that's what I know best. If I were to average the rents here in Nebraska, I would maybe drop it down to $550. Yes, buying is cheaper...but we're talking about low income, so assuming they have no existing debt, a "good" credit score and $1000 down payment, they could afford $63,000.00 house (monthly payment $600). In order to do a no or low money down loan the house has to meet an FHA inspection. Honestly, you're not going to find a home that meets FHA requirements for that price here. (I know -I've been looking to buy for the last 15 months, and most houses under $90K aren't going to meet those minimum inspection requirements.) I get what you're saying but it's not as simple as that.

what calculator is putting a 600 monthly payment on a $63K home?
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

As a caveat I should have said, I'm using approximate figures, but trying to not be crazy-high on my estimates.

Property taxes are paid by the owner of the property (and theoretically incorporated into the rent amounts). There are state and local sales taxes in my state. Those are just paid at the store when buying taxable items. I live in a fairly low-cost state (Nebraska) have lived in a large city and in two different towns of <200 residents, and my lowest electric bill while living in an apt. was $60, highest about $150. (In a house, bills were $150 up to $375 at times). But there's also a separate natural gas company avg. $50-75/mo. Water bills range from $30-75/mo. Sometimes water is included in rent, but not always.

Yes, you have a point about the transportation. Walking and biking are mostly free except for shoes and maintenance. So we could eliminate that completely, or drop it down to $20/mo for ongoing maintenance.

If you live in apartment you don't usually have a washer/dryer. $1.25+ per load to wash, $1.50+ per load to dry. Average of 3 loads per week for 2 people (example - linens, business clothes, casual clothes) comes to $33 per 4 weeks.

Phone - that is straight out of my budget. Husband and I have 2 flip phones (i.e. not smart phones) with a very basic plan and it costs us $55/mo. When we each had a smart phone with internet the bill was about $175/mo.

Wow - even the smallest places I've seen here have a washer at least - not always a dryer, but at least a washer.

I guess with the US being so much bigger some things do just cost more to provide than in a more dense country.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

Wow - even the smallest places I've seen here have a washer at least - not always a dryer, but at least a washer.

I guess with the US being so much bigger some things do just cost more to provide than in a more dense country.

Unfortunately, this is one of those areas where "poor lifestyle decisions" are to some degree forced on people in certain living situations.

An inexpensive Washer can run $85 used... but unless there's a spot to put it in the house/apartment, it doesn't work out so well. Laundry fees at a pay laundry can run $25 a month. at which point, getting a washer/drier breaks even within 6 months or so.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Perhaps the second person is a child.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

I'm 35, I started working when I was 15. I have had quite a few jobs and only two of them was it feasible to walk to. Moving closer to the jobs was unaffordable.

My utilities are £75pm (about 50 for g&e, I am home a lot so mine are probably a bit higher than most in identical circumstances, 25 for water) but if you live in Scotland water is included in your council tax. But there's something to add on that isn't on the US budget, the amount of which of course varies. Mine would be £120pm. I have friends in the US and indeed, their utilities are eye watering.

I'm not including rent with mine because I do live in London and while my rent is comparatively cheap it's not representative of much of the UK, though the disparity isn't what it once was.

Many people in apartment buildings in the US don't have laundry facilities in their own home but a shared facility in the building that is coin operated. Or they literally go to the laundrette/laundromat.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

Unfortunately, this is one of those areas where "poor lifestyle decisions" are to some degree forced on people in certain living situations.

An inexpensive Washer can run $85 used... but unless there's a spot to put it in the house/apartment, it doesn't work out so well. Laundry fees at a pay laundry can run $25 a month. at which point, getting a washer/drier breaks even within 6 months or so.

Yeah, it's ironic really that being poor can be more expensive. You might struggle to buy things in bulk as well. If you've got the space though, it isn't a massive amount to try and scrape together. 9 months @ $10 a month for instance. Then you get a spare $30 a month (laundry saving+previous saving amount) for the next improvement and so on... this sort of long term planning is hard though. I'm not great at it even though I try. Especially with food which is why I'm here!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Perhaps the second person is a child.

In that case, the income is increased due to WIC/free school lunch programs, earned income credit, rent subsidies, child support from other parent, etc, so the single parent and child is not subsisting on the minimum wage. Still not a ton of money.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

ditto. At lowest percentile wages, haven't people traditionally NOT expected to afford their own place - either renting a room as a boarder, or sharing with roommates. But it is now apparently often-times expected (and people expect to be able to easily afford perishable non-local food that wouldn't have been available to buy at all decades ago). Expecting to own a car when dirt poor is a pretty new expectation too (at least outside rural areas). It wasn't the case 20 years ago - you took the bus (currently $75/mo in my city or $37.50/mo if you qualify for a reduced fare).

And to a later post- who the hell needs to do 3 loads of laundry per week for 2 people?! from "business clothes", I'm assuming it's not 8 hours/day of hard physical labor. Clothes don't usually need to be washed after a single wear (and I'm guessing most people without their own washer and dryer and without loads of excess time realize this).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

That sounds about right where I am (at least ~15 years ago).. Mortgage after 20% down was $62,000. Our payments with taxes, interest (we had a good rate), and insurance were ~$600/mo. And that is with no PMI added (we had 20% down). (Note: you wouldn't be able to find a house for $80,000 in my area now that wasn't a non-livable as-is fixer-upper).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    BTW, up here there is no such thing as food stamps. Very few schools have any sort of food program - a small number offer a bit of extra breakfast. There are food banks through donated foods but that's it. And food is more expensive up here by quite a lot.

So you are asserting that people in poverty in Canada do not get gov't aid? Or just that it is not in the very specific form that some of it takes in the US (i.e., food assistance, school lunches).

For example, we've established that Australia (for the most part) does not have aid in the SNAP format, but instead provides non-earmarked funds that cover a variety of needs.

How does aid to needy people work in Canada, if anyone can answer? I'm reasonably certain it's not just private aid/charities.

There is some welfare. It varies between provinces

Up here in Alberta (Canada) a family of 5 could get just under $500 for a month's worth of groceries, and just over $500 to cover other bills like shelter, electrical, and and water bills, and transportation. It is something of a joke. I spend about $300 a week on food for us, over $1200/month, and that excludes some of our meat that we get from a family member's farm. Property taxes are well over $3000 a year. Heating is ridiculous in the winter. Renting would be impossible too as a below average 2-bedroom rental is over a $1000 and may not cover all bills.

One NEEDS to rely on charity to get by up here. Our food banks and drop in centres are charities.

Surprisingly, it looks like the States gets better benefits for their needy.

Based on what?

Edit: here's a pretty good comparison that indicates for poor families there's a lot more available in Canada than in the US. https://gspp.berkeley.edu/assets/uploads/research/pdf/hoynes_stabile_submission_04272017.pdf

I started to scan that but it is 52 pages long and mind numbing. It doesn't appear to address Canada's higher cost of living... What would you like me to read in it?

The difference in the extent to which lower incomes are adjusted up appears inconsistent with the claim that the US provides more income support/aid for lower income people.

Also hard to say Canada, as a whole, has a higher cost of living than the US, as a whole. I'd be curious how my housing costs compare to yours, for example.

Average house sales in my city are between $480,000 and $501,000 over the last two months. That's average. Half cost more. I do live in an expensive city though. It tends to be more expensive in the west. The prairies are cheaper. So is the east.

Rental rates are high too. A 2-bedroom condo is around $1200 but the average has approached $1500 when times were good. It's fallen with the oil prices.

Food costs are high here too.
    Examples are here:
    https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/calgary

In Alberta, welfare doesn't go far.

• stanmann571
    edited August 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

That sounds about right where I am (at least ~15 years ago).. Mortgage after 20% down was $62,000. Our payments with taxes, interest (we had a good rate), and insurance were ~$600/mo. And that is with no PMI added (we had 20% down). (Note: you wouldn't be able to find a house for $80,000 in my area now that wasn't a non-livable as-is fixer-upper).

The change in rates from ~7% down to sub 4% is a reduction of 150-200 dollars a month(at $60K)

I refinanced a few years back and took almost $300 a month off our payments.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25

Rent $750
    Renter's Insurance $15
    Laundry $25 Ehh???

I'm in Chicago, so not participating in the cheap living discussion, but here generally speaking rentals won't have in unit washer/driers (and I've never heard of having a washer and no drier since driers got common). Condos all have washer/driers. That was one of the big perks for me years ago when I decided to buy, ridiculous as it sounds.

That doesn't mean you have to go to the laundromat (although I had a place where I did -- in a reasonably expensive part of town, even, although this was late '90s). You will often have a place in the building (but coin operated). Renting a house or a condo or maybe some 2-flats might be different (although my laudromat place was a 2-flat). (Generally if it doesn't have a washer/drier you aren't permitted to add one and there's usually nowhere to do it.)

For the record, here a 30-day pass for public transportation is $100.