Anyone here do intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I eat 20/4 and find the smaller eating window makes it easier to feel satisfied on a limited amount of calories.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The information given by GBTA is actually incorrect. IF is not mere caloric manipulation. It's success lies mainly on the hormonal manipulation and it's implications on both body fat access and use, as well as the resulting health benefits.
    I'm on the 16:8 protocol for a while now and I have seen really great results, despite the fact that my caloric intake has remained the same (if not a bit higher). I'm still losing body fat eating between 2200 and 3000 calories (depending on my activity levels on the day), on high carb vegan diet. Bliss!
    Give it a go.. You have nothing to lose!

Then you have been eating in a deficit. IF is nothing more than a timing tool.

I've read that it works as a timiing tool and because of the hormonal effect of not spiking insulin.

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The information given by GBTA is actually incorrect. IF is not mere caloric manipulation. It's success lies mainly on the hormonal manipulation and it's implications on both body fat access and use, as well as the resulting health benefits.
    I'm on the 16:8 protocol for a while now and I have seen really great results, despite the fact that my caloric intake has remained the same (if not a bit higher). I'm still losing body fat eating between 2200 and 3000 calories (depending on my activity levels on the day), on high carb vegan diet. Bliss!

if you are losing fat then you are in a deficit of calories. you cannot lose fat if you are not in a deficit unless you are doing whats called a recomp. IF doesnt burn body fat any faster or quicker than not doing IF.

Some people do IF in conjunction with a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF), which promotes fat burning. It requires a lot of planning and is quite strict. There are threads here and a good amount of info about it on the web. The Cleveland Clinic PSMF diet is on the web.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »

I've read that it works as a timiing tool and because of the hormonal effect of not spiking insulin.

Insulin does not cause fat gain or prevent fat loss in a calorie deficit. Insulin spikes only matters if you're diabetic. There are people who "cheat" on IF and use 50 or so calories of creamer/milk/sugar in their morning coffee and still lose weight just fine.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

if you are losing fat then you are in a deficit of calories. you cannot lose fat if you are not in a deficit unless you are doing whats called a recomp. IF doesnt burn body fat any faster or quicker than not doing IF.

Some people do IF in conjunction with a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (PSMF), which promotes fat burning. It requires a lot of planning and is quite strict. There are threads here and a good amount of info about it on the web. The Cleveland Clinic PSMF diet is on the web.

PSMF doesn't do anything special for fat burning. It's a very low calorie crash diet. Most followers even recommend multiple meals per day instead of the one or two that most IFers have per day because it can be difficult to take in that much lean plain protein at one time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

My understanding is that any benefits of IF related to hormone manipulation (for lack of a better term) require some VERY specific conditions and are pretty minor when viewed in the bigger picture of diet and exercise.
  • TammyL8
    TammyL8 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've got six meal labels for my diary, each split into four hour windows. Midnight to 4am, 4am to 8am, and so on. I do this because my days are not uniform. One day my supper can come at 3am and bedtime be around 7am while the next day my supper can be closer to 7pm and bedtime be 2am. I know my digestive system well enough to know that if I eat anything within 2 hours of going to sleep, I get nauseous. IF results are as individual as anything else related to weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

you are only going to burn so much fat and its done in a deficit or a recomp. IF is not going to make the fat loss any faster