Seeking advice: Increasing body fat % and maintaining muscles

Options
I'm simply seeking some advice from the community (besides "go see a doctor," because I plan to see one soon). I'm sorry for this essay, thank you for reading on.

To briefly introduce my body: Around a week ago, I had a body fat % of around 11 and weighed 44.5kg (98lbs). I am 18, a female and I'm around 153cm (5'0''). I was on a fairly strict diet and I exercised somewhat excessively. I lost my menstrual cycle and I'm worried for my health. I had been on a horrible cycle of binge-eating and dieting (no purging-besides exercise).

I went to talk to a Personal Trainer about my diet and exercise. I told him my issues and the trainer recommended me to first bulk up by increasing my calorie intake and having a high-carb diet.
And starting a week ago, I increased my calorie intake from 1400 to 1800, and now I'm eating around 2200 calories a day, with no binge-eating or excessive dieting (which is a great improvement). I was trying to do a "clean bulk" with a surplus of around 250 cals. I exercised daily (doing high intensity, weights, etc.) and tried to incorporate lots of protein into my diet as well.

From that day on, I ate more calorie-dense foods such as nuts, nut butters, Greek yogurt and meats.

Today, I checked my body fat %, and it decreased to around 8 and I gained 0.9kg (2lbs) [now I'm around 45.4kg (100lbs)]. I have no clue what happened, but I believe I may have exercised too excessively and I didn't allow my muscles to recover (and the exercise also may have cancelled out the surplus calories I incorporated into my diet).
Despite some improvement in my overall mobility, energy levels (I feel a lot stronger compared to before) and eating habits, I'm not satisfied because my body fat is decreased far too low...

When I first saw my body fat % today, I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I had increased my body fat % because my overall body is thicker (and the appearance of muscle is more prominent) and I gained weight. I know many other girls who are thinner than me but still have their periods (meaning a healthy body fat %). I have difficulty believing that I have such a low body fat %. Because if it's so low... then what is all this meat on my body??

I'm not a bodybuilder but I know that this community is very knowledgeable on bulking and cutting. How can I increase my body fat % in a healthy manner via both diet and exercise?

Thank you all!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What method was used to determine body fat? If it was a hand held device or a scale that you stand on those are highly inaccurate.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are getting bigger which is the right direction. I think all you need to do is tweak. Incorporate rest days and add another couple hundred calories a day (ice cream, energy bar, shake).
  • ShopCart2
    ShopCart2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp It was a scale. How inaccurate is it?
  • ShopCart2
    Options
    @jgnatca Thank you for your advice! Should rest days be every other day?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    ShopCart2 wrote: »
    @usmcmp It was a scale. How inaccurate is it?

Easily 5% either direction, but can be more. If you are more or less hydrated you can see huge swings in body fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, for runners it is four rest days out of seven. Maybe anecdotal but it seems I get stronger on my rest days. A pattern of set-up then growth.

You are monitoring your body closely. Learn from experience. If an exercise is not doing it for you, change it.
  • Causalien
    Causalien Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    More consecutive rest days. Most guys would dream of being in this situation, but if you lost the menstruel cycle, something's wrong if it is not pregnancy.

But yeah, get a second opinion on bf% besides the scaoe. The community is preety good at visually estimating it as they did for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    -11%
    -female
    -strict diet
    - excessive exercise

Please seek medical/professionals help
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Well, for runners it is four rest days out of seven. Maybe anecdotal but it seems I get stronger on my rest days. A pattern of set-up then growth.

You are monitoring your body closely. Learn from experience. If an exercise is not doing it for you, change it.

4 rest days out of 7, for a runner, is waaaaaay excessive and unnecessary. Only running 3 days a week? I mean sure that's fine, but no way are 4 rest days/week necessary. Lol. Maybe you were making a bad joke?

OP, the bf% reading from the scale is most likely not super accurate. Your plan sounds good though. Keep it up, and follow through with your plan to see a doc.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    donkey9512 wrote: »
    I think sleep, nutrition and rest days are the most important factors improving fitness. Excercise is catabolic and weakens you. Excercise is merely the catalyst.

Absurd
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    donkey9512 wrote: »
    I think sleep, nutrition and rest days are the most important factors improving fitness. Excercise is catabolic and weakens you. Excercise is merely the catalyst.

So following that logic the more I sleep and the less I exercise the fitter I will get?
    Wow.

That sounds great! Time to change my program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you lose your menstrual cycle, you really should see a doctor as you will need some blood test to see if there is an issue. Obviously being under weight is not helping the situation, but you seem to be working on that component.

Id also recommend tapering down on cardio until you work out this situation, just so you arent burning a ton of calories.
  • ShopCart2
    Options
    @usmcmp Thanks! I'll ask my doctor to see what my body fat % is. Hopefully that'll clear it up.
  • ShopCart2
    Options
    @jgnatca That sounds solid. I think I'll incorporate 2 rest days a week because my workouts aren't that intensive.
  • ShopCart2
    Options
    @Causalien I think even some hardcore female bodybuilders and athletes lose their menstrual period when they go below a certain body fat %. Thanks for your input! I'll get my body fat % checked at the doctor's.
  • ShopCart2
    Options
    @MichSmish Thanks, I plan to follow my plan, and increase my calories and incorporate some rest days!
  • ShopCart2
    Options
    @donkey9512 Yeah my personal trainer told me that your muscles actually build on rest days after hitting the gym. Gym time is when you're ripping the muscle fibres. When resting, you're letting your muscles repair themselves and become stronger. So in reality, going to the gym isn't building your muscles, but rather a solid combination of both gym time, rest time and good diet.