College freshmen advice?

Options

Replies

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Don't go if you live in US. Save the quarter million and go to a trade school. Earn 100k a year without the debt. If you have to go study an applicable subject that doesn't end in "studies."
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    owa1s wrote: »
    km8907 wrote: »
    Don't drink a ton because alcohol has a *kitten* ton of calories. Don't eat fast food every meal. Wake up early, exercise before class, shower and you have the rest of the day for studies.
    I actually thought about that (going to gym before uni) but then would u be tired in class or if u go to uni u would be tired at the gym. Idk if I'm thinking too much or it happens

You got it backwards. Going to the gym in the morning will give you energy for class. You'll be way less tired if you wake up, work out, then go to class than if you just wake up late and go straight to class. Heed this advice from someone with 3 college degrees.

I think it depends on the person. Working out in the morning does make me sleepy for the day. I'm a night owl and get a sudden burst in energy at those times. What do you do now @owa1s ?
    does your uni offer any classes that are fitness related? I took a weight lifting one in college, and there were others - so I basically got credit for getting a workout in

make a schedule and stick to it - I find I worked out better in the pm - so I'd do more morning classes - if you have the flexibility

Right now I don't do anything except working out and sleeping :tongue: (if u mean that I work or something then nah I don't work). And I see a lot of people giving an advice and thinking a live in a college dorm but I don't, here it's different we go to uni from home like I live with my family. And I go to gym that's with my house. I think the timing for my uni is from 9 to 5 and I usually go to gym about 6. So what bothered me was if I go in the morning then I would be tired driving to uni and if I workout at night then maybe I wouldn't be able to wake up early or something. Maybe I'm just thinking too much lol. Btw everyone gave great advice :smiley:
  • owa1s
    Options
    I see people giving just fitness related advice. Can u guys give some tips on advice the method of studying or getting friends etc. I would appreciate that :smile:
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    Don't go if you live in US. Save the quarter million and go to a trade school. Earn 100k a year without the debt. If you have to go study an applicable subject that doesn't end in "studies."

What he said. The US has spent decades telling kids that they MUST attend college at the cost of having no skilled trade people in the economy now. It's going to back fire. Anyone that can do repairs will out earn the college-educated folks in due time.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    I see people giving just fitness related advice. Can u guys give some tips on advice the method of studying or getting friends etc. I would appreciate that :smile:

Go to the library to study at night.

Talk to people in your classes. Ask if they have lecture notes.... whatever, feel free to make an excuse to talk to a girl.
  • SEAHORSES4EVER
    SEAHORSES4EVER Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Don't drink a ton because alcohol has a *kitten* ton of calories. Don't eat fast food every meal. Wake up early, exercise before class, shower and you have the rest of the day for studies.
    I actually thought about that (going to gym before uni) but then would u be tired in class or if u go to uni u would be tired at the gym. Idk if I'm thinking too much or it happens

You got it backwards. Going to the gym in the morning will give you energy for class. You'll be way less tired if you wake up, work out, then go to class than if you just wake up late and go straight to class. Heed this advice from someone with 3 college degrees.

I think it depends on the person. Working out in the morning does make me sleepy for the day. I'm a night owl and get a sudden burst in energy at those times. What do you do now @owa1s ?
    does your uni offer any classes that are fitness related? I took a weight lifting one in college, and there were others - so I basically got credit for getting a workout in

make a schedule and stick to it - I find I worked out better in the pm - so I'd do more morning classes - if you have the flexibility

Right now I don't do anything except working out and sleeping :tongue: (if u mean that I work or something then nah I don't work). And I see a lot of people giving an advice and thinking a live in a college dorm but I don't, here it's different we go to uni from home like I live with my family. And I go to gym that's with my house. I think the timing for my uni is from 9 to 5 and I usually go to gym about 6. So what bothered me was if I go in the morning then I would be tired driving to uni and if I workout at night then maybe I wouldn't be able to wake up early or something. Maybe I'm just thinking too much lol. Btw everyone gave great advice :smiley:

I meant what do you do now in terms of working out, like..what time do you usually do it? What works for you now?

ETA: as if I'd ask what you did for work, ha! What's your credit score btw?
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Don't get indoctrinated in Marxism. Think for yourself using logic to reason yourself into beliefs so you can change those beliefs if your future reasoning changes.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Don't ever use a "safe space." You're going to university to expose yourself to challenges in thought; you're going to disagree with some of those thoughts.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Join clubs that interest you and could impact your future career prospects.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    Take some philosophy and logic courses if you can. They helped me learn to think in a more complete way that's applicable to most of studies.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Definitely over tha making this! Work hard, play hard, don't become nocturnal. And don't go anywhere near social media when you should be working! Enjoy the time while you can, and fit your workouts around your lectures. It's not rocket science!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Don't ever use a "safe space." You're going to university to expose yourself to challenges in thought; you're going to disagree with some of those thoughts.

Well said!
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I never found study groups particularly helpful bc my experience was that ppl just spent the time bullshitting rather than studying. I also didn't use other ppls notes, I preferred to make my own outlines/notes as that process helped in learning the info (and I am a huge control freak)
    Just try different study techniques to see what works best for you.
    A word of advice, take a short 5-10 min. break every 20-40 mins during study sessions.
    Good luck & have fun!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Spend a minimal amount of non-studying time on a screen (TV, social media, whatever).
  • fjmartini
    Options
    dwrightlaw wrote: »
    I never found study groups particularly helpful bc my experience was that ppl just spent the time bullshitting rather than studying. I also didn't use other ppls notes, I preferred to make my own outlines/notes as that process helped in learning the info (and I am a huge control freak)
    Just try different study techniques to see what works best for you.
    A word of advice, take a short 5-10 min. break every 20-40 mins during study sessions.
    Good luck & have fun!

I think we share a brain.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Join clubs that interest you and could impact your future career prospects.

I second that one! Most of my college friends that didn't live in my dorm I met through school activities.

Get to class a few minutes early and make small talk. Did you do the homework/reading? What are you doing this weekend? Have you seen ________ (movie/play/concert) is coming soon?

You'll be fine :)
  • owa1s
    edited September 2017
    Options

I meant what do you do now in terms of working out, like..what time do you usually do it? What works for you now?

I do weight lifting 4 days a week and one day cardio one day rest. I go in the evening now but if i my class end at 5 it will be impossible so I would have to go at night. Credit score? I ain't got a credit card sowwy .
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options

Credit score? I ain't got a credit card sowwy .

ut oh.
  • beemaven
    beemaven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does your uni have a fitness center or pool? I had quite a few extended breaks between classes during some of my schooling--those are great for getting in a quick workout. A lot of people used the fitness centers between the late afternoon and late evening hours too. You'll work out quickly if you're more of a morning person or more of an evening person and you can schedule your workouts accordingly. Intramural and club sports are also great--lower stakes play, still a good workout, and a great way to meet people.

The first year is a bit of a mad scramble until you find your place but you'll get there. I think it's key to hydrate well, try to find blocks of time to take care of yourself well with exercise and healthy meals, and get regular sleep. College is basically designed so that you'll meet people so I wouldn't worry so much--there are likely plenty of student organizations, clubs, and activities to fill your social calendar. Try to breathe and not worry too much--best of luck!
  • Bearded1der
    Bearded1der Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the brownies.