Tips on avoiding loose skin?

Options
Hi, I am looking for tips on how to avoid getting loose and saggy skin during my weight loss journey. I am around 5ft 9in and currently 190lbs. Doctor said a healthy weight for me would be 140-150lbs and majority of my extra fat is in my belly.
I know if I lose weight at a slower pace that will help, but I am searching for other tips also!
I want to get healthy but I know if I had lota of extra skin hanging around, my confidence would be lower than it is now being 192lbs.
Thanks!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tips? Don't get fat, don't get old, possibly change your parents.

Your skin will recover but to what degree and but where you end up two years from now probably won't be much different whether you lose fast or lose slowly.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lose weight slow (1-2 per month)
    Dry brushing helps some people
    Lots of water
    Hydrate your skin with oils too
    Strength Training
    And hope for the best!

I´ve known people who have lost 50-60 with no loose skin problems
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Some people invest in plastic surgery. No way to avoid it. I remember when I was pregnant I was sold bio oil which is meant to help... just makes you all oily and smell funny. I was 100kg at my heaviest, I'm now 69kg, I have some loose skin on tummy but it only shows when I plank. You skin is marvelous stuff and can cope with a lot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The supplement 'Gotu Kola' taken over time has great results. You won't notice anything for a long time (maybe 6 months) but then you'll really notice your skin tightening up.
    SaraydaB wrote: »
    Lose weight slow (1-2 per month)
    Dry brushing helps some people
    Lots of water
    Hydrate your skin with oils too
    Strength Training
    And hope for the best!

None of this will prevent loose skin if your skin is damaged to the point where it's going to be loose. Your genetics, how big you were, how long you were big, and your age will determine whether or not you have loose skin. You can do everything "right" and still end up with loose skin. That means you can lift from Day 1, moisturize, lose weight at a slow rate, etc. and still have loose skin. But, bottom line, it's not something to spend a lot of time worrying about right now. You're not going to know until a couple of years after you hit your goal weight what your skin is going to look like.
  • sijomial
    Options
    There are some pretty mean answers above, as though you should give up right now. I say: don't listen for one minute!

Go ahead and lose some weight and I think you will be really happy with the results. Add in a bit of exercise, and you will look and feel downright fantastic! Most important is to be happy and healthy.

You are confusing realistic with mean. You can't change your past or predict your future.

No-one mentioned giving up.

But I do agree with happy and healthy - I'm both of those things and also have some loose skin. So what?
    At 57 I didn't have a career option of being a fitness model even if my skin snapped back.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There are some pretty mean answers above, as though you should give up right now. I say: don't listen for one minute!

Go ahead and lose some weight and I think you will be really happy with the results. Add in a bit of exercise, and you will look and feel downright fantastic! Most important is to be happy and healthy.

No. It is not being mean to tell people not to waste their money on supplements that will not tighten up their skin. It is not mean to tell people that they can do everything "right" (per the standard suggestions on how to avoid loose skin) and still have loose skin. Nobody is saying not to lose the weight or not to exercise. We are simply being realistic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    The supplement 'Gotu Kola' taken over time has great results. You won't notice anything for a long time (maybe 6 months) but then you'll really notice your skin tightening up.
    Lol, sorry, but there's no supplement that reduces an organ like skin. Don't believe the broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    The reality is that NO ONE can tell for sure. You just have to lose the weight an see. Whether you lose it fast or slow, it's not really going to matter much. Lifting weights will be be great for muscle retention which will help "a little".
    There are NO PRODUCTS out there that can help reduce loose skin permanently. It's an organ and mass just doesn't reduce from weight loss. You cannot do any exercise to reduce it.
    Age, genetics and time will dictate if you get it or not.
    The good news is that you have under 80lbs to lose and the majority of my clients that had less than that to lose had little to no loose skin versus those that had over 80lbs to lose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

No one said give up. They just deterred OP from spending money on useless products and time on them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am looking for tips on how to avoid getting loose and saggy skin during my weight loss journey. I am around 5ft 9in and currently 190lbs. Doctor said a healthy weight for me would be 140-150lbs and majority of my extra fat is in my belly.
    I know if I lose weight at a slower pace that will help, but I am searching for other tips also!
    I want to get healthy but I know if I had lota of extra skin hanging around, my confidence would be lower than it is now being 192lbs.
    Thanks!

Depending on how young you are - like under 40s - and since you don't have a massive amount of weight to lose, you may not have a big problem with hanging skin. Just lose the weight, maybe do some weight lifting and enjoy your healthy new body.
  • Lovelylivie
    Lovelylivie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

You are confusing realistic with mean. You can't change your past or predict your future.

But I do agree with happy and healthy - I'm both of those things and also have some loose skin. So what?
    At 57 I didn't have a career option of being a fitness model even if my skin snapped back.

Sometimes life happens and you gain weight. I have PCOS and unfortunately due to the hormone imbalance contributed to a large amount of my weight gain. I was active and didn't have an awful diet. So the "Just don't get fat tip" is useless.
  • Lovelylivie
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    Thanks!

Depending on how young you are - like under 40s - and since you don't have a massive amount of weight to lose, you may not have a big problem with hanging skin. Just lose the weight, maybe do some weight lifting and enjoy your healthy new body.

I'm 22 and I personally don't think I look overweight but my scale says otherwise haha
  • Lovelylivie
    Options
    I cant add any more advice to the thread. But i just wanted to say kudos to you for using the words lose and loose correctly :+1:

Thank you for the appreciation. Haha
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    marelthu wrote: »
    Thanks!

I'm 22 and I personally don't think I look overweight but my scale says otherwise haha

The upside is that at your age you have a much better chance of recovering tight, smooth skin than us old folks. Me, I'm in my mid-50s, started out a little over a year ago with only about 35 lbs to lose, down to about 10% body fat and my middle is still loose enough to jiggle. And when I plank... ugh. Not a thing I can do about it either.

But your skin is over 30 years younger, so you may avoid that problem almost entirely. Or, if you have it, it won't last so long.
  • sijomial
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Sometimes life happens and you gain weight. I have PCOS and unfortunately due to the hormone imbalance contributed to a large amount of my weight gain. I was active and didn't have an awful diet. So the "Just don't get fat tip" is useless.

I was pointing out that you can't change what has already happened.
    Just like your age and genetics you can't change the past.

I was also very active and had a great diet before (and after) I got fat when "life happened to me" through no fault of my own.

How your skin ends up after weight loss is beyond your control. My stomach didn't look good after my weight loss but after a couple of years it was OK, not great but OK.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I lost 30 lbs. and never had any issues with lose skin. 40-50 lbs. is a bit more but you are also tall. Why don't you just start with a goal of losing 10-20 lbs. and see how the skin looks? And then just take it by 5 lbs. increments? At 22, I don't think you have anything to worry about. In the 20s the body is still very young and resilient.