Anyone doing keto?

Options
Anyone doing Keto? If so how long and what do you eat?

Replies

• hunters90
    hunters90 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just started two and a half weeks ago. I eat anything with high protein and high fats. 0-45 carbs a day. It's been working and after the first 3-4 days I've felt pretty good.
  • FitBride080611
    FitBride080611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've done it before and lost 10 pounds. I restarted 2 days ago. It's important to have high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. If you eat too much protein it's converted and processed by the body as sugar. Pick up some ketosis urine test strips to make sure you're on track.
    93634 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for two weeks and am down 10 lbs. Never really felt bad but definitely noticed a lack of energy the first week as my body adjusted to burning fat instead of carbs for energy. I feel great now and notice I get hungry when it is time to eat but don't feel the urge to "graze" as much any more. Definitely struggling with ratios and getting them right though. Hard to get enough fat without raising calories significantly and even though I work out 2 hours a day/5 days a week, I don't like to factor those calories into my food goals for the day. I figure it gives me an even greater deficit. But yeah, so far it took me past a major plateau and into weight loss again!
  • afraze
    afraze Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started doing keto August 8th. My second week was horrible. I had TERRIBLE stomach pains and I had bad diarrhea for 5 days. I literally felt like I was dying. After the 5 days, I started feeling so much better and now I feel great. I've lost about 5 lbs so far and my jeans are getting a little baggy now. I track my macros on MFP and I eat a lot of veggies and meat. I try to drink a lot of water but I'm not great at it, so I'm trying to work on that. I do 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrates. You feel more full and for longer amounts of time with this diet. Also, if you love pizza... you need to try "Fat head Pizza." It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!
  • Lauramusick
    Lauramusick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first month Keto and I am down 17lbs! This WOE is incredible and feeling good.
    It is normal to experience the "keto flu" symptoms with the upset tummy/headaches while you detox but so worth
    working through it. Once you are fat adapted, you won't be as hungry and can try fasting (yeah I know, I didn't think I could do it but now its daily without trying). My biggest tip for starting out is to watch out for your proteins- too much protein can cause a stall and best to stay between 50-75g per day for females.
    Also, I found the BPC (Bulletproof Coffee) is the perfect way to get in extra fat and it gives a pretty sweet energy boost. Keto On!
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Keto Here

Chicken breast - Roasts - Steaks - cheese - homemade sauces like yummy Alfredo - Avacado - butters - Premier protein shakes
  • lizpax14
    lizpax14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started the Keto diet. 1 week in. One of the hardest things for me to give up was soda. I was a huge soda fan because I never drink coffee I would get my caffeine fix from Pepsi. I am extremely tired, but I'm trying to push on. The second hardest part for me is trying to make sure I hit all the numbers without going over. I think for the first couple weeks it might be best if I followed a strict regimen without mixing too many things in until I get use to it. Does anyone have any simple menus ideas I could follow or links I could read? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make this life style change and live a healthier life style and actually meet my goals.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You will notice significant weight loss in the beginning (water weight mostly and inflammation you didn't know you had *or maybe you do* will decrease).. Then it slows down considerably. Keto is not a "scale" diet, it's a measurement diet. Scales are the enemy. If you have a lot to lose the scales will move. If you don't, the inches will move.
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am going to try keto again but the first time I tried it, I got covered in bruises. Does anybody know what I should do differently, so that doesn't happen again? I am also a runner and I don't want to hit the wall because of low carbs. Any suggestions? And what is "Fat Head Pizza" (I might have to try it, LOL)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the Low Carber Daily of Keto MFP groups. More keto'ers there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    I just completed my first month Keto and I am down 17lbs! This WOE is incredible and feeling good.
    It is normal to experience the "keto flu" symptoms with the upset tummy/headaches while you detox but so worth
    working through it. Once you are fat adapted, you won't be as hungry and can try fasting (yeah I know, I didn't think I could do it but now its daily without trying). My biggest tip for starting out is to watch out for your proteins- too much protein can cause a stall and best to stay between 50-75g per day for females.
    Also, I found the BPC (Bulletproof Coffee) is the perfect way to get in extra fat and it gives a pretty sweet energy boost. Keto On!

:) Congrats on your loss.
    I'm afraid that I disagree with a few points you made:

"Keto flu" is actually not unavoidable. It is an electrolyte imbalance from becoming too low in sodium because of the water weight lost from reducing carbs. Most people need 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day (there is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt) to replace the sodium you have lost. If you do not replace sodium, one will experience headaches, fatigue, nausea, brain fog, BM issues, muscle aches and spasms (which occur when sodium is very low and leeching other minerals from your bones - you may need to supplement some potassium and magnesium by then).

Protein does not cause a stall in weight loss in the typical person. If it did you you, that would be an unusual n=1 experience. If anything, protein is the most thermogenic of all the macros and could lead to slightly greater weight loss per calories consumed. It also does not hinder ketosis unless you eat very high levels of protein - at least double to triple what you have recommended.

I tend not to add extra fats to my diet to hit my fats. I'll add coconut oil (about 1/2 teaspoon to a large travel mug) because I like the taste and the small ketone boost, but I generally try not to strive to hit a certain fat macro if I am not hungry... I figure my body fat can provide my fuel rather than extra dietary fat. I do eat very high fat, but I don't force the fat - if that makes sense. :)
  • Swatmedic77
    Swatmedic77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday and am down almost 7 pounds already.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try the Low Carber Daily of Keto MFP groups. More keto'ers there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

:) Congrats on your loss.
    I'm afraid that I disagree with a few points you made:

"Keto flu" is actually not unavoidable. It is an electrolyte imbalance from becoming too low in sodium because of the water weight lost from reducing carbs. Most people need 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day (there is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt) to replace the sodium you have lost. If you do not replace sodium, one will experience headaches, fatigue, nausea, brain fog, BM issues, muscle aches and spasms (which occur when sodium is very low and leeching other minerals from your bones - you may need to supplement some potassium and magnesium by then).

Protein does not cause a stall in weight loss in the typical person. If it did you you, that would be an unusual n=1 experience. If anything, protein is the most thermogenic of all the macros and could lead to slightly greater weight loss per calories consumed. It also does not hinder ketosis unless you eat very high levels of protein - at least double to triple what you have recommended.

I tend not to add extra fats to my diet to hit my fats. I'll add coconut oil (about 1/2 teaspoon to a large travel mug) because I like the taste and the small ketone boost, but I generally try not to strive to hit a certain fat macro if I am not hungry... I figure my body fat can provide my fuel rather than extra dietary fat. I do eat very high fat, but I don't force the fat - if that makes sense. :)

THIS!!!!! X100 :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lizpax14 wrote: »
    I just started the Keto diet. 1 week in. One of the hardest things for me to give up was soda. I was a huge soda fan because I never drink coffee I would get my caffeine fix from Pepsi. I am extremely tired, but I'm trying to push on.
    Have you tried any of the sugar free caffeinated drinks?
    The second hardest part for me is trying to make sure I hit all the numbers without going over.
    You don't have to do that. Just hit your calorie goal. Your macro setup is to help you hit your calorie goal, not to make it harder. And it's fine to not hit it perfectly every day. You want consistency, not perfection.
    I think for the first couple weeks it might be best if I followed a strict regimen without mixing too many things in until I get use to it. Does anyone have any simple menus ideas I could follow or links I could read? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make this life style change and live a healthier life style and actually meet my goals.
    I think you're maybe mixing up simple and easy. Strict diets of the same all the time sounds simple in theory, but you're not following them in theory, and it's not easy to stick to in practice. A healthy lifestyle is just as complex as life itself, and easy to stick to.
  • newyorkgirlygirl
    newyorkgirlygirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for a bit over 2 months. It's the best. I've lost 22 lbs in that time. 38 lbs to go!!
  • ohboysandwiches
    ohboysandwiches Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've done keto for 1-2 month long stretches in the past, but I just recently started back up on August 28 and I'm hoping I can keep it up for the long-term. I tend to feel way better when drastically limiting my carb intake and it helps my PCOS/Hypothyroid symptoms a ton.

I eat a lot of eggs, chicken, lean beef, bacon, spinach, and other dark leafy greens. I use a lot of coconut oil and bacon grease to cook with. Pork rinds are a great snack. I eat a minimal amounts of nuts because I can't control myself with them and can polish off a whole bag of brazil nuts without realizing it.

When I start getting bored of simple meals, I like to find keto versions of non-keto foods that I miss. I've found great recipes for pizza, pretzel dogs, enchilada casserole, and fried chicken. I also like trying out keto desserts, but I'm still looking for the perfect one (delicious, quick, easy, and reasonably priced).
  • sarahbethgilmore
    Options
    Breakfast: keto macchiato (coffee with butter, Mct, caramel extract, stevia and collagen peptides)

Lunch: greens of some kind and chicken with oil and vinegar or dinner leftovers

Dinner: beef or pork with green beans

Snacks: raspberries, almonds, fat bombs

Switch this up a little now and then but try to stick with this formula: PROTEIN, FAT + SOMETHING GREEN for each meal.

I've been doing it for about a month. It has been a change in lifestyle for sure and I've had to "learn" how to eat this way. Fallen off a few times so not much weight loss yet, and I am just now learning that I've also probably had too much protein. So, changing up my macros a bit this week to see if I can shed some more lbs.
    Definitely seeing several NSV though! More energy and mental clarity, requiring less sleep and generally feeling great!
    Glad I started slow and low pressure to transition to this lifestyle!