Oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I'm learning to like oats. I prefer savory steel cut oats. I overnight them with vegetable broth and microwave for 2 minutes when I'm ready to eat it with some parmesan cheese and pepper on top.

Sounds great. I love savory oats. With a slice or two of melted American cheese and salt and pepper mixed in, kind of has a Mac and cheese feel
  • Dee5672
    Dee5672 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love love love it! I prefer it with less water/milk so it doesn't get too mushy. I like the grains still a bit firm. I could eat it every day! I add peaches, blueberries or 1tsp of brown sugar... ❤️
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love it! My favorite way to make it is with diced apples, a small box of raisins and a dash of cinnamon. I do not add milk (yuck.... I hate milk) I like my oatmeal very thick. Blueberries and nuts go well too.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Do you love or hate it. I eat it but hate it.

Oatmeal is my fav meal ever. 2 tbs of peanut butter and 1 tbs of honey is delicious
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    With milk of course!
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    LOVE it with brown sugar and cream. I eat it with a little brown sugar and lower fat milk. We also have a great brand of instant here, no sugar added with apples, raisins and cinnamon SO good! I add a little sugar and milk to that too = about 200 cals and fills me up pretty well
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm going to probably sound like a kid, but I LOVE the dinosaur eggs oatmeal. And contrary to popular belief, 1 packet only has 12g of sugar.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I like the instant maple syrup flavoured oats. They're good in a smoothie or a snack/dessert. Not filling enough for me to have as a meal though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Goodness, OP, switch to eggs or toast.

I love oatmeal and we have four varieties in the house right now. I like mine creamy so I cook it starting in cold water, add powdered milk and raisins, and stir until thick.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are my go to for breakfast. Cheap and easy to make in bulk.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like overnight oats. Don't care for hot oatmeal. Do like it in breakfast muffins or baked or in cookies.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Been adding 1/2 c Fage plain and 4 oz of fresh blackberries to steel cut oats.

OMG, so delicious and very satisfying!

I used to do savory oatmeals, there were some great ideas in this thread. Going to try again, thanks for the inspiration!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Just ate some oatmeal! I don't love it plain- but w some yummies added (fruit, brown sugar & half & half) it was tasty on a chilly morning... I really ate it though bc I needed to eat carbs before my workout later (6g fiber is always good, too)! Didn't eat it for a long time when using MFP bc a bagel has about the same amount of carbs & I find good bagels tastier than oats.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The texture grosses me out so much. I want to eat it because it's obviously so good for me, but yuck. I will eat it dry (i.e. in a granola bar or on my multi-grain bread), though.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    hate it! But i have a few packets in my office for when I forget to bring breakfast. it's less gross if I cut up half an apple and mix it in.
  • Sugarbird23
    Sugarbird23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've recently had major dental work so have to eat soft foods and tried oatmeal for the first time today. It was disgusting! I think the instructions on the pack may have been wrong, though, as it said 1/2 cup of oatmeal mixed with 1/2 cup of water, then microwaved. It probably needed about twice as much liquid. Even so, I couldn't handle the taste, though I love oatcakes from the same brand. Weird.
  • RangarThorvin
    RangarThorvin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try this. http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2016/04/espresso-overnight-oats-salted-date-caramel/ I eat it every morning cuz it's tastes great and is supper simple to make. I don't use the "caramel" on it. I put some dried fruit in it instead.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've recently had major dental work so have to eat soft foods and tried oatmeal for the first time today. It was disgusting! I think the instructions on the pack may have been wrong, though, as it said 1/2 cup of oatmeal mixed with 1/2 cup of water, then microwaved. It probably needed about twice as much liquid. Even so, I couldn't handle the taste, though I love oatcakes from the same brand. Weird.

Blahh I'd never cook oatmeal with water, it would end up tasting like boring sloppy cardboard. I always use milk.
  • Trnava
    Trnava Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Steel cut or rolled oats cooked just until done - I don't care for them when they're overdone and gluey. A teaspoon of coconut oil and a dash of salt, cinnamon, maybe a chopped apple or dried fruit and nuts, and it's a very filling meal.

Don't eat what you hate, however. Sometimes that's your body telling you that it won't thrive on that food, or in that format. For instance, I never feel well if I eat raw spinach salads, but I feel awesome when I eat cooked spinach. Life's too short to choke down a food just because it's "healthy". It just might not be the best choice for you. Try cracked wheat, millet, barley - there are tons of options - if you want a hot cereal other than oatmeal.