Low calorie/cardio vs keto/weights

Options
Hi everyone, so when I was younger low cal & cardio ( 1hr 4-5x per week), allowed me to lose weight fairly quickly. Well fast forward 20 years, low cal & cardio didn't work ( quickly enough for me to feel it was worth the stress if it). So a co-worker, a Physical thearpist, suggested I try keto and weight lifting instead. Boom! The weight started coming off fairly quickly.

Is this because I'm old or my metabolism is changed ?

I would love to hear the experience of other
Or just any insight you may have

Replies

• fitjam00
    fitjam00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand water weight but I really don't get why my 1500 low cal vs 1500 keto progress
    I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this or knows the science behind it?
  • fitjam00
    fitjam00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was calorie counting for 2 months 1500 kcal and walking on treadmill min 30 3-4x per week

But i felt like I was killing myself for the 4lbs after 2 months I was done

I think my expectations where too high in retrospect cuz that 1 lb a week, is a safe amount ( I know now)

I didn't eat the calories back, I measured my food, but was never sure what my calories deficit was from the exercise as the calorie counter on the treadmill is not accurate

The keto is the same 1500 kcal and weight training 3-4x week

Maybe its the weight lifting?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    fitjam00 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, so when I was younger low cal & cardio ( 1hr 4-5x per week), allowed me to lose weight fairly quickly. Well fast forward 20 years, low cal & cardio didn't work ( quickly enough for me to feel it was worth the stress if it). So a co-worker, a Physical thearpist, suggested I try keto and weight lifting instead. Boom! The weight started coming off fairly quickly.

Is this because I'm old or my metabolism is changed ?

I would love to hear the experience of other
    Or just any insight you may have

Possibly as you are older you aren't able to put the same effort into the cardio you did when you were younger. Or your tastes have changed and the low-cal diet you did didn't psychologically satisfy you now the way it did then.

It's really hard to say for sure though, since you are dealing with multiple variables and personal recollection. I mean, maybe keto was the key for you and it would have worked even if you stuck with cardio. Or maybe the cardio took too much out of you and staying with the same diet but working in some weightlifting would have done the trick. The important thing is you found what works for you - congrats!
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    fjmartini wrote: »
    I was calorie counting for 2 months 1500 kcal and walking on treadmill min 30 3-4x per week

I think my expectations where too high in retrospect cuz that 1 lb a week, is a safe amount ( I know now)

I didn't eat the calories back, I measured my food, but was never sure what my calories deficit was from the exercise as the calorie counter on the treadmill is not accurate

I've experienced the same thing. These anti-keto hawks dive down whenever something doesn't fit their "calories in calories out" narrative. I train hard with weights 3-4 times a week on keto and I've not only dropped weight faster than ever in my life, I also don't have inflammation anymore. I do light cardio like walking my dogs or biking with my wife but nothing like steady state cardio on machines. Keep up the great work!

I don't think most posters here are anti-"keto". They are anti-"keto works better for everyone".

THAT WASNT THE QUESTION OP ASKED.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I've experienced the same thing. These anti-keto hawks dive down whenever something doesn't fit their "calories in calories out" narrative. I train hard with weights 3-4 times a week on keto and I've not only dropped weight faster than ever in my life, I also don't have inflammation anymore. I do light cardio like walking my dogs or biking with my wife but nothing like steady state cardio on machines. Keep up the great work!

I don't think most posters here are anti-"keto". They are anti-"keto works better for everyone".

THAT WASNT THE QUESTION OP ASKED.

I was responding to you calling out the other replies, not the OP. I already responded to the OP.