Low calorie/cardio vs keto/weights

Options

Replies

• fitjam00
    fitjam00 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    fitjam00 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, so when I was younger low cal & cardio ( 1hr 4-5x per week), allowed me to lose weight fairly quickly. Well fast forward 20 years, low cal & cardio didn't work ( quickly enough for me to feel it was worth the stress if it). So a co-worker, a Physical thearpist, suggested I try keto and weight lifting instead. Boom! The weight started coming off fairly quickly.

Is this because I'm old or my metabolism is changed ?

I would love to hear the experience of other
    Or just any insight you may have

Possibly as you are older you aren't able to put the same effort into the cardio you did when you were younger.

That's a really good point
    I think it was just easier for me in my 20s to tear up the treadmill and function on a lower calorie count

At this stage in my life it wasn't sustainable

It's nice to read about others who've had a similar journey in this community
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, so when I was younger low cal & cardio ( 1hr 4-5x per week), allowed me to lose weight fairly quickly. Well fast forward 20 years, low cal & cardio didn't work ( quickly enough for me to feel it was worth the stress if it). So a co-worker, a Physical thearpist, suggested I try keto and weight lifting instead. Boom! The weight started coming off fairly quickly.

Possibly as you are older you aren't able to put the same effort into the cardio you did when you were younger.

I think it was just easier for me in my 20s to tear up the treadmill and function on a lower calorie count

It's really easy to get to thinking that there is something wrong with you, isn't it? :lol:
    When I was in my 20s I ate like crap and I ate a lot, but I stayed thin even though I didn't do much purposeful exercise. But in hindsight, I was generally more active - a more physical job, I would go out and do more active stuff rather than sitting at a restaurant table, I had energy even if I only slept 5 hours. Ahhh, the good old days!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

It's really easy to get to thinking that there is something wrong with you, isn't it? :lol:
    When I was in my 20s I ate like crap and I ate a lot, but I stayed thin even though I didn't do much purposeful exercise. But in hindsight, I was generally more active - a more physical job, I would go out and do more active stuff rather than sitting at a restaurant table, I had energy even if I only slept 5 hours. Ahhh, the good old days!

Excellent point. Add to this the fact that your metabolism slows as you age and you probably have the answer of why it was easier then. I am glad you have found something that works.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

Another thing to consider, is most young people are naturally more active in their daily life. Most of us now have desk job and dont get to increase activity outside a little exercise.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Is there some research comparing keto diet and high carb cal deficit diet to end these nonsensical claims of keto being some magic diet?