Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    9/2: 2.6
    9/3: 2.2

Total 4.8 / 50.0

I really prefer longer runs, but that's got to be a mental thing, and what fixes mental things is doing more of what you don't like.

You are right there. When I'm out on a run and I come to a choice, run the hard way around or the not as hard way- the second I say "ugh I don't..." Well, now ya gotta do it. It's definitely helped me learn to take on challenges with a better frame of mind. And run those "hills".
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    9/1 = 5.5 miles
    9/2 = Rest Day
    9/3 = 16.5 miles (run/walk intervals)

Ha! I don't check this thread for 3 days and I am 176 posts behind. I will never catch up so I hope everyone is having a "run"derful start to the month.

16.5 miles with the running group this morning using their Galloway run/walk training method thing. It was more like a sleep-run. I only got 4.5 hours of sleep last night. Now, I have to go into work for the afternoon. I am going to be so completely dead tired by 6pm tonight.

(September miles) 22/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @cburke8909 - I don't think you will have any problem with that sub 9 pace.
    @orphia- If I haven't already said this, you are my hero!
    @BruinsGal_91 - I love Red Rocks! Half marathon there would be great!

I had my Night glow half marathon last night. Very mixed feelings about a night run, and this one in particular. Despite having to wait all day for the start, I kind of liked running at night. I always run better in the evening than in the morning, and the weather was great. The race itself was a bit of an organizational disaster however.

First of all, despite being a BQ, by all accounts, the course was way long. Everyone I talked to measured 13.6 miles. Not enough twists and turns in the course to blame that on tangents. I am thinking that they may have palced one of the turn around points in the wrong place. My pace according to Garmin was 7:47, but my time was 1:45:41, which is something like an 8:05. According to pace, this was my third fastest half marathon, but according to finish time, it was sixth. That's quite a difference.

Secondly, I came in second in my age group. This would normally be great, except that I know the woman that finished first. She is not a cheater of any kind, so I'm not sure what happened here, but she did not run the whole course. The race was run simultaneously with a 10k. The half marathon course was basically two loops of the 10k course, but to account for the extra distance, there was a different turn around point on one of the out and back segments. I was running pretty much neck in neck with her from the start until she turned around at the 10k turn around point. I just assumed she was running the 10k. There was no timing mat to account for this. Needless to say, I was surprised to see her name at the top of the age group results for the half marathon. Oh well.

Thirdly, the course was very poorly lit. The final miles were on a bike path. On my first lap, they had Christmas lights on the ground to light the path, but they were not really needed because it wasn't completely dark yet. But on my second lap, it was pitch black and the lights were out because the generators had run out of gas (my guess). I was pretty much running solo here except for passing the occasional walker, who I could not see until I was literally steps away. It was so hard to see and I kept feeling like I was going to trip. My final mile and a half was about 20 seconds slower than my average pace.

I was kind of excited about this race because it was the inaugural year for my home time marathon and it was organized by the man who owns my local running store and hosts my running club. That being the case, I am willing to give a bit of a pass, but I definitely was a bit disappointed in how the whole thing was run. If I do it next year, I will probably do the 10k and run it for fun. The post race party was at a local brew pub with free beer (which I can't drink), so that part was fun.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB -LOL at not being good at woman-ing. I feel exactly the same. Dressing up for me is a nice pair of jeans and ballet flats as well. But I think you look adorable. And, whoa, holy blister! I thought I got bad blisters, but that one is a monster!
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Out if curiosity what does everyone listen to when they are out running?

Depending on my mood I sometimes listen to podcasts, audiobooks, music, or nothing at all.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Dcorrick wrote: »
    First and foremost, my condolences to you, @7lenny7 for the loss of your MIL. Mine was dear to us, and her loss still resonates years later.

This morning was a 12-minute test by MapMyRun, so the back third was pretty slow recovery time. Still not awful overall time by my measure, given the all-out 12 mins in the middle.

Re-learning a lesson; need to get back to doing squats. Running just isn't enough to keep my legs working. They get tight and the knees start to act up.

exercise.png

I'm having this exact thought after 4 miles this morning. Much leg work to be done
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running check in: I woke up with no discomfort in my ankle. Took some morning time without the boot, did balance exercises on the BOSU ball, and tested push-ups without the boot. Tested the TGU motion without weight, but a test with an 8 lb. dumbbell revealed that I would need to be very careful to avoid irritating the PTT. So TGUs are still out.

After fatiguing the PTT a bit in the morning, spent a few hours in the boot. The rain stopped and the pavement dried up, so I took the boot off and got out on the bike. I had a 3 to 5 mile loop in mind, see how it goes; it turned into a 2.58 mile out and back, starting back when I started to feel the PTT fatigue. I'll call that good for today and stop testing things.

I notice that, as with the dreadmill, 10 minutes on the exercycle in the PT's office on Friday seemed to be a very long time; but 12 minutes on a real bike on the roads seemed like a little bit of nothing today.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Depending on my mood I sometimes listen to podcasts, audiobooks, music, or nothing at all.

I don't listen to anything. If I take music I tend to dance/not run and sing to something with crude lyrics, not sure others wanna hear my 'tude. So to stay focused, I run ear naked.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 – 6 miles
    9/2 – rest day XC meet
    9/3 – 10 miles

16 of 100 miles

exercise.png

@cburke8909 that is so sweet of you to say you too @orphia <3

I was at a meet yesterday so I’m trying to catch up today and need to go back and read. Skip had a top 15 finish (15th) in her first XC meet of the season. She wasn't happy with her 24:16 time at all, but she said at like mile 2 she was feeling great then it was like someone hit her stomach with a 2x4, she threw up while running, but she said it took a bit out of her. She was fine after the race, she said it was weird. Oh well, she said I'll get the next time.

Pretty morning today it was like 60 at 8:00 so I went to the Greenway to run. As long as I was on the shady side it was really nice.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that didn't know this?

Heel Lock

Yes. Get with the program already! :lol:

Okay, fine, probably most do not. I only know about it cause a lady at a running shoe store tied my shoes that way once, and I have done it ever since. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Audio books, all the time. I have a subscription to Audible for them. :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I was kind of excited about this race because it was the inaugural year for my home time marathon and it was organized by the man who owns my local running store and hosts my running club. That being the case, I am willing to give a bit of a pass, but I definitely was a bit disappointed in how the whole thing was run. If I do it next year, I will probably do the 10k and run it for fun. The post race party was at a local brew pub with free beer (which I can't drink), so that part was fun.

You might have a conversation with said man and help them to improve for next year. Just a suggestion.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @kristinegift it hurts about as much as my piriformal syndrome but after I hammer out about 25k I can't feel it anymore so whatever. Pain is just a thing afterall.

@lporter229 I'm glad I'm in good non-womaning company at least ;)

@BrianAWeber I listen to a lot of very obscene music and downloaded speeches throughout history. Sir Winston Churchill's "Fight Them on the Beaches" speech is a fave for hills.

Ran 30k of creekbed out by Mom's this morning.

jjapbdlof9ah.jpg

Heading to the inlaws for Ben's 31st birthday party now. Since he leaves for GP on Tuesday I'm thinking I'll run Monday and take Tuesday off instead since I am already staring down over 100k of treadmill this week -_-

September 1- 23
    September 2- 60
    September 3- 30

113/600km
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @kristinegift it hurts about as much as my piriformal syndrome but after I hammer out about 25k I can't feel it anymore so whatever. Pain is just a thing afterall.

My karate instructor, back when I was in it, used to say "Pain is just weakness leaving the body." :smiley:
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Ouchy! That blister looks so painful, how are you even managing to smile? Are you doing anything special to help it heal faster? On a different note - you look fantastic! :blush:

@BrianAWeber Most of the time I listen to music I purchased specifically for running; sometimes just run without my headset at all. I want to try audibooks at some point. Any recommendations? ;)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Goal: 135
    Total: 16
    9/01 – 10 miles
    9/03 – 6 miles, easy afternoon run
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    Upcoming races:
    September 24 – Bachman Valley Half Marathon. Goal – to beat my previous PR of 1:50
    October 22 – Gettysburg Blue-Gray Half Marathon.
    November 5 –Gettysburg Battleground Half Marathon. Goal – to enjoy this local run I was not aware of!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @Runningmischka thanks, but for the record it is rare I look this female ;) ! My GP who is also an ultra and trail enthusiast put me on abx as a preventative measure and I'm wrapping it before I go run. Everything else comes down to grit (and my general inability to yield if you ask my mother who was horrified by it haha!)
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

I listen to music or audio books but find that my mind drifts so mostly stick to music otherwise I end up going back to where I started on the books.
  • anitamistry1
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »

My karate instructor, back when I was in it, used to say "Pain is just weakness leaving the body." :smiley:

I saw that same quote in the gym this afternoon.
  • anitamistry1
    Options
    1 Sept 2.85 run 3.50 = 6.35k
    2 Sept NONE
    3 Sept 5 km on treadmill 3km using the c210k app then 2km non stop I'm not very good at running without stopping to walk so feel quite proud that I did it. Now the weather is turning cold and wet I've decided to head indoors of an evening. Plus running on my own is a bit daunting in the dark.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into running after some some fits and starts and a partially torn meniscus. I started back a couple of weeks ago and I'm slowly adding time to my runs. Today was just over 21 minutes and 2 miles. I'm trying to take it easy as I have quite a few pounds to lose as well. My goal for September is 70 miles.

exercise.png