September 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2017
    @PastorVincent I've never had an issue with the chest strap chaffing. But I do notice some irritation if I run 90 minutes or more. I've always chalked that up to where it sits, below my bra line. I feel like if I could wear it at bra line it wouldn't be an issue. Might just have to run with it an see how it does.

@7lenny7 Thank for the mention. Last month I had more down time than anticipated. Missed the 89 by 2.8 miles. With any luck this month will really kick in the quality trainin' miles. Good to see you here!

@garygse Like every one else, I'm supprised you aren't a marathon veteran... Sandbagging? :smiley: Good luck!

ETA but ya know Galen Rupp's first marathon was LA This last year, right? And he qualified for the Olympics. Definitely sandbaggin'.

@orphia glad you enjoyed Remy. He's twisted funny.
  • Elise4270
    @daynasrose Welcome to the group!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 For the chaffing try applying Body Glide to the places where it rubs before you run. It should help prevent that.

I also use Aquaphor (or the generic equivalent thereof). Cheaper, works fine. I also apply it to active chaffing sores to protect them from rubbing in my street clothes.

Not heard of Aquaphor before - but it looks like it is made for healing more than for preventing? Sounds like you use it for both?
  • PastorVincent
    garygse wrote: »
    I have my first marathon on October 8th (same day as @ariceroni's first marathon...woo!) in Long Beach CA, so this month will actually see me cut back some mileage for the taper. Adding everything up, and if I stick to my plan, then my goal will be 175 miles. October is starting to feel very near, and I'm starting to feel completely stoked. Bring it on!

First Marathon? Man, you are in for a treat... especially about 24-48 hours after it. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    @skippygirlsmom What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing that.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @skippygirlsmom your story reminded me of something I read about a village in the Netherlands. They have made the houses as if they are set in the 1950's, 60's and 70's to make like easier for the residents who all have dementia. Because their memories are more fixed at an earlier stage, they carry on their lives almost in a 'fantasy' world, and it makes day-to-day living less distressing for them.

It's a concept that is being used to help train caregivers into approaching those with dementia in a modern way. Still, it must be really hard to have someone you've known and loved for many years completely disappear in front of you, whilst physically resembling that person, and them not know you at all. I have had that with a couple of friends who have had brain tumours and that truly is the hardest part.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    edited September 2017
    If you're interested in watching the UTMB (Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc), a 100 mile (and 33,000 ft vertical!) trail race in the Alps through France, Italy and Switzerland, it's being live streamed here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2491j4

Or the full website here:

http://utmbmontblanc.com/en/live/ccc

2500 runners this year is what I think I heard.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @daynasrose Welcome to the group!

@Elise4270 thanks so much!
  • PastorVincent
    @skippygirlsmom awesome advice. Well said.

@sliedur I just lost my grandmother a couple months ago. I was not the care giver, so did not experience the level that @skippygirlsmom did, but can echo it in a small way at least. She said it well, better than I could so I will leave it at that.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @girlinahat how cool is that. I love that they care so much for their elderly that they would do something so awesome. Wow. Thanks @PastorVincent and @Elise4270 My family used to say I'd get into heaven with my shoes on for taking care of Gram, but spending that time with her was it's own reward.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 For the chaffing try applying Body Glide to the places where it rubs before you run. It should help prevent that.

I also use Aquaphor (or the generic equivalent thereof). Cheaper, works fine. I also apply it to active chaffing sores to protect them from rubbing in my street clothes.

Not heard of Aquaphor before - but it looks like it is made for healing more than for preventing? Sounds like you use it for both?

Correct. It's like a thick Vaseline. For sores or cuts, I sometimes mix it with Vitamin E oil and/or antibiotic ointment in my palm before applying. Seems to heal quicker with less scarring. I just keep a tube in my gym bag.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    @skippygirlsmom I was very glad to read that, though I damn near cried at work, thank you, that little paragraph helps a lot.

So sorry to get things off topic everyone. Back to your normally scheduled program... :D
  • Dcorrick
    Dcorrick Posts: 56 Member
    Sliedur wrote: »
    So, I really bombed out of August, so much so that I am concerned a little bit for my first 5K on the 9th, but I will run it nonetheless. Long story short, my mother was diagnosed with dementia

My sympathies @Sliedur . I started on this weight-loss/fitness venture in the middle of dealing with both parents' dementia. Taking over their lives, selling their home, relocating them, etc., etc. had me wondering how I was going to survive with my sanity. Ultimately, I decided what went in my mouth and what I did with my body were the only things I actually had control over. Good for you for getting ANYTHING done while that was going on. I'm 4 years into it now, and the big hills are still ahead of me.
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    I haven't set a target yet I bought some new running trainers today and took them for a short trial around the local park. I didn't put my insoles in and boy did I regret it as I had shooting pain on the sides of my feet. Note to self - put the insoles in LOL. I'm also going to include my walk to and from work to the carpark. I park 1.75km away as it's cheap and the walk wakes me up in the morning.

1 Sept run 2.85km plus 3.50km walk Today's total 6.35km (fitbit shows I've actually completed 9.12km)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    @skippygirlsmom - your paragraph on loving someone with dementia is spot on. It did make me cry though. We went through it a bit with my MIL who I was very close to but hers was caused mostly by a stroke. It is such a hard and difficult disease to deal with. I only hope it doesn't happen to me so my daughter doesn't have to deal with it! Would you mind if I copied your paragraph to share with some friends who are also dealing with a loved one in a similar situation?

@Elise4270 - you are absolutely right - life is running related!