September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Still nursing that weird pain in my leg so missed my goal for August but in for 75 miles in September. First run of the month will be Sunday.

@Sliedur, so sorry to hear about your mom. Hugs to you.
    @skippygirlsmom, thanks for sharing your experience.

Options
    Welcome @OregonMother !

@ROBOTFOOD looking forward to your insane progress!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 For the chaffing try applying Body Glide to the places where it rubs before you run. It should help prevent that.

I also use Aquaphor (or the generic equivalent thereof). Cheaper, works fine. I also apply it to active chaffing sores to protect them from rubbing in my street clothes.

Not heard of Aquaphor before - but it looks like it is made for healing more than for preventing? Sounds like you use it for both?

I use the generic equivalent of Aquaphor for dry hands in the winter, sometimes mixed with a water-based hand lotion. The active ingredient (41%) is white petrolatum, i.e. petroleum jelly or vaseline.

I might also note that using the anti-chafing substance of your choice - Body Glide, Aquaphor, Vaseline, whatever - seems a reasonable thing to try for a chest strap HRM that feels like it might rub. It's hard to be more specific than that, because I have 2 chest strap HRMs. The one that came with the 630 needs no lubricant. Nothing I've tried is sufficient to totally elimnate rubbing with the one that came with the 620; but I havent' tried Body Glide.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @dcorrick I love that!
    @shanaber of course you can.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    09/01/17 - 10 miles - mostly Z2

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

10/14/2017 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

First run of September! Starting off well. Full report later... have to rescue my son whose bike broke somewhere out there...

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    @Elise4270 It's going to be a slower gradual buildup. Pace wise. Distance I can easily ramp up right now.
    I'll just be running slower than Windows explorer on 1990s dial up :D

LOL! So modest! :wink:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 It's going to be a slower gradual buildup. Pace wise. Distance I can easily ramp up right now.

Lol I'll just say 7:45 feels like 5:30/mi right now. Lotta work to do. But it'll get done :sunglasses:

I saw mid 10s on the TM yesterday :open_mouth:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Lol I'll just say 7:45 feels like 5:30/mi right now. Lotta work to do. But it'll get done :sunglasses:

I saw mid 10s on the TM yesterday :open_mouth:

I saw the run you posted. Impressive for not running, er taking a break from running. Beats my best any day!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That doctor was a wise person and his advice about Dementia ultimately helped you adjust on the fly to the situation. My Grandmother had similar issues and I was to young/naïve to understand how to handle it. Live in the moment/year that your relative is living is probably the best description/idea I have ever heard. I could have asked her questions about the early years on the Homestead and recorded them. Would have learned so much.

@JessicaMcB This looks like something you would enjoy / excel at.
    girlinahat wrote: »
    What is CCC?
    It's the little sister of the UTMB. Courmayeur (Italy) to Champex (Switzerland) to Chamonix (France). 100 kilometres, over 6000 metres of altitude

the CCC

p9t7rq01a93d.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I can't wait to go back to CA for the race and to meet friends back there! Those tugs sure do add a little something to the harbor.

@Sliedur Sorry to hear about your mom, but glad to hear that things are somewhat better now and that she's settling in.

@5512bf Some may find this weird, but I don't actually have a formal training plan, other than following 80/20 running, and putting in miles, miles, and more miles. The more time on my feet I can put in, the better (for me, at least).

@zdyb23456 I agree with @PastorVincent with Body Glide. I used to use (and still do use) Sport Shield...very slick and slippery, but it didn't seem to work too well for longer runs in the heat (20+ miles), and while Body Glide feels thicker and has waaaay more friction to it compared to Sport Shield, it actually does the trick for my longer runs when applied liberally.

@skippygirlsmom Wow, that's a story that is both touching yet inspiring, in a strange kind of way. Thank you for sharing.

@lporter229 Thank you! Definitely not a veteran, but certainly no longer feel like the noob I was this time last year! Good luck with whatever outcome the Boston gods decide upon, and also to your husband with his training.

@Elise4270 About the only thing I'll qualify for is tying my own shoe laces...I've finally gotten that one nailed.

@PastorVincent Yeah, not looking forward to the flight back the next day!

@rodmelching Good luck with your race!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Today was my usual Friday long run, with the first 15 miles being run at an easy pace, followed by the next five at a pace somewhere between MP and HMP, and then finally a couple of miles to cool things back down. All in all, not a bad start to September, but as Monday is a holiday here and will no-doubt throw off my schedule, I may be running some small distances over the weekend to make up for things.

01 - 22.04

Total: 22.04 / 175 miles