September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    August got a little wonky and of track. September looks good and steady though. So, I'm in for 100 miles.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    September goal - 120 miles. Didnt quite manage this goal in August but going to go for it again. Ive got 2 races as well. 3rd september - 5 Mile, 24th September - 10k
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    9/1 3m tempo.
    Total: 3 of 65 miles

Goal: Beat my 20-yr-old PR of 29:32
    *Oct: Apple Harvest 5k
    *Nov: Movember 5k
    *Dec: Mitten Run 5k
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    I have my first marathon on October 8th (same day as @ariceroni's first marathon...woo!) in Long Beach CA, so this month will actually see me cut back some mileage for the taper. Adding everything up, and if I stick to my plan, then my goal will be 175 miles. October is starting to feel very near, and I'm starting to feel completely stoked. Bring it on!

What plan are you using? Your mileage looks a lot like mine from last year, which is a ton for a first go at a marathon. I ran my 3rd last October and felt more ready for it than in the previous 2 because of all those middle distance runs of 13-15 miles plus a 16-22 LR every week. I think you should be well trained for a first go at it.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    one of our club runners is currently 2nd in her age category in the CCC. how much work do we think I'll achieve today.......

What is CCC?

It's the little sister of the UTMB. Courmayeur (Italy) to Champex (Switzerland) to Chamonix (France). 100 kilometres, over 6000 metres of altitude

the CCC

p9t7rq01a93d.png

Woah. That looks killer.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    In for a 50 mile goal
    Doing bridge to 10k
    Goal race November 18 Annapolis Running Fest 10k
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 For the chaffing try applying Body Glide to the places where it rubs before you run. It should help prevent that.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 6 miles

6 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Well what a weather morning. My run started with about 25 mph sustained winds, so even though it was 65F it was quite chilly. Wind gusts up to 35 mph like running into a wall. At mile 2 it said hey for more fun let's rain too. Sure why not. Didn't pour but when the wind is blowing rain at 35 mph it's like little needles hitting your face. Walked in the front door and Macy was so excited to go for her walk. I couldn't turn down that little tail wagging so on with a sweatshirt and back out in the wind and rain ha ha.

@OSUBuckeye906 welcome back in time for college football  great job on the HM PR.
    @PastorVincent awesome goal
    @garygse I have to say with the amount of miles you run I was surprised to see you never ran a full marathon.
    @orphia I’m like you I’m not expert but I do have some idea of what could hurt a person but unsolicited advice is seldom welcome. I tried to help a friend whose daughter was hurt during XC, then she went on to have her run indoor track, then on to outdoor track. The girl was in PAIN serious PAIN falling out on the track, screaming on the ground pain and the mom was like, you can still run the next event. I finally said you may never talk to me again and that is fine, but you are ABUSING her. Finally I spoke to the trainer and coach (who was somewhat oblivious), the girl has been in PT for 6 months trying to fix the damage. Skip tells me she hurts and she’s in with the trainer and we listen to his advice.
    Hi @7lenny7 what more could you ask for, a HM that work will help pay for, matching shirts and beer! Awesome.
    @shanaber I can’t believe the wedding is here already! So exciting. Pretty shoes!
    @jessicamcb you are my idol, I love your training and your races. #awesomegoals
    @sliedur I’m sorry to hear about your Mom, that is tough. I think the decline is so slow that we don’t see it when it happens, plus what is the first thing we say when someone gets forgetful “oh that is age”. I’ll keep her in my prayers.
    @girlinahat holy *kitten*

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @garygse - I am surprised to hear this is your first marathon. For some reason, I thought you were a veteran. Good luck on it!

I did not make my goal for August. In all truthfulness, and I probably sound like a broken record, I am still struggling to find motivation since April. I have been running, swimming, working out, whatever, but not with the type of discipline and motivation I am used to. I have just been sort of floating around in a half motivated, half apathetic daze. I ran just under 100 miles in August, over 20 miles short of my goal. I am setting a firm goal in September for 120 miles and I am going to do it. Compared to the last two years, this would be a low mileage month for me. I have to get my head back in the game. I think I need something solid to train for. I have been using the excuse of letting the hamstrings heal, but I think I need to throw that out the window and admit that they are probably as good as they are ever gonna get. I will try to get back to consistently running 5 days per week. Those are my September goals.

Boston registration is this month. Much of why I am in limbo has to do with this. Unlike last year when I was really secure with my BQ time, this year I am on the bubble with BQ-1:50. Like @mobycarp, I am still kind of on the fence about whether or not I even want to run it. Since the registration process only leaves you a small window of time to decide, I figured I will go ahead and apply and let the running gods make the decision for me. So I guess that means that this month will determine what my next training cycle will be.

I have a half marathon night race this weekend and the Bourbon Chase relay in October. Neither of these is an event that I did any particular training for. The Bourbon Chase relay is strictly for fun. My team is comprised of a group of runners that has no desire to run this as a competitive venture, so that takes any pressure off of me. My main concern will be getting my hubby through it in one piece. This is, by far, the biggest event he has ever done. I am pretty excited for him. I am thinking that maybe I should put a little more effort into training just in case I have to run along side him for moral support!

Good luck to everyone on your September goals, welcome to all of the new group members, and as always, thanks Stan for keeping us running!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yay for Fall Running Season!! I just read through the first 3 pages and everyone has some great plans! I'm super fired up to run...and, like @kristinegift, I have a rest day...waa, waa, waa. Had I run today and my group long run for tomorrow, I would have had six days in a row. That's no bueno for me.

Good luck, all! Go get it!

0/80
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 For the chaffing try applying Body Glide to the places where it rubs before you run. It should help prevent that.

I also use Aquaphor (or the generic equivalent thereof). Cheaper, works fine. I also apply it to active chaffing sores to protect them from rubbing in my street clothes.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    opted for more sleep this AM instead of running. Tomorrow is another day.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    9/1 - rest day. Kind of glad, because we're getting rain and some stiff winds around here. Should be much better for tomorrow's long run.
  • Don_WM_
    Don_WM_ Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom
    Thanks for that - the long term is really tough to deal with and the not knowing how fast her condition will deteriorate, but we are hopeful to get as much quality time with her as possible while she is still mostly herself.