Workout attire for the mature woman

Options

Replies

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Useful pockets, and more choices that AREN'T high waist, as I currently have a medical problem and all my high waist work out gear makes me feel like I constantly have to pee :'( but mostly pockets. I love and miss pockets.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I run to colour. My girlfriend, a contemporary, doesn't. I love spandex for leggings, and looser, wicking tops. Make sure there are little pockets.

There is not a decent runner's windbreaker out there that isn't pink. I want a windbreaker that covers my butt.

There's nothing more miserable than to come in from a cold run, sweating, with a frozen butt.

And while you are at it, add reflective tape.

I've not found ANY decent runners windbreaker or rain gear, pink or otherwise, that's not hot as heck and that really keeps me dry.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I get that I'm a niche consumer, but I'm going to take this opportunity to vent.

I'm the rare post-bilateral-mastectomy woman who didn't have reconstruction, doesn't usually wear prostheses (especially not to work out!), and is very active. On my left side, I also had lymph nodes removed, so there's a small ditch or divot from my underarm out onto my chest wall.

Tank tops? I wish, especially when rowing in 90 degree F weather! They're cut way too low in neck and arms. Men's sleeveless ones in smaller sizes (so kind of tight) used to sort of work when I was fat, but now that I'm a small or even extra-small in women's tanks, men's small is way too big in the arms and body, and boys' sizes seem to be the giant armhole singlet style.

(BTW, women's tanks come slightly closer to modesty if I wear them backwards, as both arms & neck have more generous fabric on that side. I don't know whether this is a viable strategy for the small-breasted. Won't work with any normal bra, for sure.)

Also, you discover that there's a function breasts somehow have of keeping things from creeping up as well as keeping them from slipping down (under stress from different types of movements). Following convention, I still like to cover my chest area, but even flat bra tops ride up or down (think about how you see this on 6-year old girls - same in 60+ year old ones).

To my relief, some one-piece swimsuits still work without breasts or prostheses (requires extensive shopping).

Thanks for letting me complain. I now return you to regular-people workout clothing problems. ;)

Since you can wear smaller sizes. Try boys tanks in L/XL. A child's XL is very close to an adult S or XS. They are just cut narrower for boys than men, so they might work for you. Because it's workout gear, do you really care if it's a "Paw Patrol" or "Incredible Hulk" shirt, so long as it fits.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    No pink! Actually: no cour at all! I'm fine with black with reflective stripes. Pockets. And propper running trousers that are long (it's always windy and cold here), not tights and have pockets. Actually, i run in a biking tricot because it has three convenient pockets at the lower back for a bottle of water, gel and other stuff.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Real pockets. Not these tiny little pockets you can't put anything in.

+1 for pockets because it can't be said enough!

Pockets in leggings in particular, for phone, keys, & cash.

I even had a nightmare the night before my last race about not being able to find my favourite pair of Nike Tech capris with the perfect pockets. :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I run to colour. My girlfriend, a contemporary, doesn't. I love spandex for leggings, and looser, wicking tops. Make sure there are little pockets.

There is not a decent runner's windbreaker out there that isn't pink. I want a windbreaker that covers my butt.

There's nothing more miserable than to come in from a cold run, sweating, with a frozen butt.

I've not found ANY decent runners windbreaker or rain gear, pink or otherwise, that's not hot as heck and that really keeps me dry.

Look into cycling gear. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    Hey ladies, if you were designing workout clothing, what would you do differently?

So what ideas do you have? Got pics?
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    YES! Real pockets. The only thing I could fit in the ones in my shorts is one condom, and I don't think I'll need one during a run.

Sports bras that close in the front. I have seen some that do, but they've all been for the more amply endowed woman. Or at least ones that fully hook like a regular bra, rather than pullover, then hook. Since my back injury 3 years ago, I'm not quite as flexible as I used to be.

I love the running shorts with the built-in panties, but wish the shorts themselves were just a little bit longer.

Athletic wear meant for an athletic body. Something that fits my waist is too tight in the shoulders and arms. Long sleeve shirts that otherwise fit fine are too small on the forearm, so I can't push the sleeves up. A lot of shorts that fit my bum are tight in the quads. I'm not THAT muscular.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm tall, I'd love to have just regular Medium sized t-shirts or tanks to be longer. 99.999% of all tops hit right in the middle of my butt. To get them longer, I have to get XL or XXL, or men's...and then they're baggy all over. Hate. I want my crotch and my butt covered.

Also, another "tall" complaint: I would LOVE to find bike shorts, or just spandex shorts, that actually hit right above my knees, as they show in the PHOTO on the package. Due to long upper legs, these shorts hit several inches above my knee, so my excess lower-thigh flab bulges out at the bottom. GAWD I hate that. I've even bought Tall from Title IX spandex shorts (thinking their quality would translate into a correct tall fit), and they're still too short. I can't fold up capris, the lower hem is too tight when it reaches my lower thighs. Ugh.

In essence, if a company decides to make a "tall" version of anything, can you not think of the truly tall women instead of this faux-tall?

(jeans, too...."tall" sizes are still too short for me in most cases).

I wish we could just split the difference between us: My torso's long but my legs are short (will never be able to wear overalls or rompers, I really hope that trend is over) so I have to roll any trousers into cuffs or they trip me up... literally. You could have my extra! And agree on the t-shirt issue. Length and width fit without having it altered would be nice.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Sleeved workout shirts that fit snug in the waist but a little roomier in the arms and shoulders... many shirts are much too loose in the waist when they fit my upper.

Same thing on bottom... I need tight waisted pants that are a little looser in the hips/bottom. Hate having to keep jacking them up when they slide off my waist.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    1. T-shirts or tanks that don't have stupid quotes on them.
    2. Leggings long enough for someone 6'1 that don't ride up your butt.
    3. Sports bras that are wider around the chest because of torso width (not large breasts) that you don't have to do a round of calisthenics to take off
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

Look into the Target C4 line of running jackets. They may hit your needs.

The C9 running jackets ARE nice and reasonably priced. My one complaint is that clothing designed for runners does not take into account that some women have large breasts. Not everyone who exercises is flat chested!

I usually wear size L tops...in the aforementioned running jackets, I have to get an XXL for a good fit. Annoying!

My other complaint is event T-shirts that only come in a men's cut...they do not work for my body at all and they are maddening to wear--super tight in the breasts, strangling around the neck, massive amounts of extra fabric around the belly--I always feel horrible wearing those. Why can't women get women's T-shirts?
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

For swimsuits go to a sports wear store (Academy, Dick's), you'll have a much better chance at finding "long" sizes, I know for a fact Dick's has "long fit" Speedo one piece swimsuits.

Try Land's End and Athleta for long-torso workout suits.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    katsheare wrote: »
    I'm tall, I'd love to have just regular Medium sized t-shirts or tanks to be longer. 99.999% of all tops hit right in the middle of my butt. To get them longer, I have to get XL or XXL, or men's...and then they're baggy all over. Hate. I want my crotch and my butt covered.

Also, another "tall" complaint: I would LOVE to find bike shorts, or just spandex shorts, that actually hit right above my knees, as they show in the PHOTO on the package. Due to long upper legs, these shorts hit several inches above my knee, so my excess lower-thigh flab bulges out at the bottom. GAWD I hate that. I've even bought Tall from Title IX spandex shorts (thinking their quality would translate into a correct tall fit), and they're still too short. I can't fold up capris, the lower hem is too tight when it reaches my lower thighs. Ugh.

In essence, if a company decides to make a "tall" version of anything, can you not think of the truly tall women instead of this faux-tall?

(jeans, too...."tall" sizes are still too short for me in most cases).

I wish we could just split the difference between us: My torso's long but my legs are short (will never be able to wear overalls or rompers, I really hope that trend is over) so I have to roll any trousers into cuffs or they trip me up... literally. You could have my extra! And agree on the t-shirt issue. Length and width fit without having it altered would be nice.

You sound like me. I wear tall/long tops and petite pants. Actually, I wear dresses a lot of the time because they kind of even things out. I'm 5'10"+, but I can wear petite dress, go figure.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I live in Nuu Muus. Check out their website. They don't climb up my belly floobies. They look great at the track or on a trail or a bike or in the garden. They dress up with a sweater or jacket. They come in a pretty scoop top or the classic and modest keyhole neckline. They dry out after a swim in the Mediterranean. Ruu Muus have two easy access pockets in the back that can hold your wallet, keys, snacks, or a water bottle. Woman-owned, high customer satisfaction company. Made in 'Merica!
    https://nuu-muu.com/
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I would like to not display the company logo.
    Totally! I loath looking as a commercial display and free advertising space for these companies.
    Honestly I feel if the need the advertising space then they should give the stuff to us and not having us pay over the top vor the gear as well.

Additionally proper drawstrings in my highwaisted pants. Half of mine I have made holes in to put showlaces in to have something to keep them up. I have a small waist and really half the time it feels as if my pants ae ready to fall off. Besides what is this idea with a wiaststring that only is for the 5cm in front? Totally useless.

Also the pockets! The tiny ónes are not doing it for me either. I like them both in shirts and pants (I have also done the cycling shirt thing in the gym) And who invented tose zippers in the legs at the bottom? They sting in my leg and are uncomfortable as most are too long and I have to fold them over.

Bra: I love my shock absorbers that I can put on like a normal bra Not have to do some contortionists exhibition to get a bra over my head! I have a few that will work easily over my head but are then a pain to close behind my back.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would like non-pink gym clothing not to be an expensive, niche product. I don't need to reassure myself and onlookers that I'm really a woman. Nor do I need gym clothing to be coloured pink to reassure me that exercise isn't just for men.

And finally, hot pink brings out the colour of my spots, and makes me look like I'm 15 again. So this is all a triple no to pink gear.

P.S. I'll say it again for later posters. (Honestly, I should get commission.)

http://www.shockabsorber.co.uk/products/

Usual bra-buying protocol applies: find an online lingerie stockist that is good with returns, and order a range of sizes and types OR devote a day to traipsing in and out of a shop changing room, but at the end of all that, you will have a fantastic bra.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

My other complaint is event T-shirts that only come in a men's cut...they do not work for my body at all and they are maddening to wear--super tight in the breasts, strangling around the neck, massive amounts of extra fabric around the belly--I always feel horrible wearing those. Why can't women get women's T-shirts?

ditto.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of backless, stringy, 'fancy' workout clothes that confuse women into thinking it's acceptable to wear them as outfits. It's not. Stop being lazy and get dressed. I'd rather workout clothes be kept simple and well fitting with clean lines. Short sleeved moisture wicking tops that are longer. Real compression; I've really only found appropriate workout bottoms at Fabletics, everywhere else doesn't offer the same level of support.