Weigh 133 pounds. Can I lose eight pounds in a month?

Options
Going on holiday in a month and would like to shed this weight but find it difficult what with having a life and everything! I go to the gym two to three times a week and walk a lot. Is it achievable? Usually can't lose weight that fast. Many thanks.

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It's possible but whether all of that weight will be fat loss is debatable as some of if would likely be water weight. With such a small amount to lose it's usually advised that you do it much more slowly, and that those few pounds can be the hardest to lose.
  • JewelsAU
    JewelsAU Posts: 52 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    At 133 and 5'2 I would say you might can lose a couple. Depends on when you started your calorie deficit. If you have been in a calorie deficit for a couple/thee weeks already and you stick to the deficit another 4 weeks you could lose a few.

But you stated yourself "usually can't lose that fast".. so you answered your question.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Probably not realistic to lose 8 pounds in a month. I was around the same weight at the beginning of June, and I've only recently gotten to mid to low 120's. however, as soon as I started eating healthier with a calorie deficit, my clothes started fitting better. Eating healthier for me means eating to meet or exceed my fiber and protein goals.
  • cat_monster
    cat_monster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Heh, I used to have the same profile picture as you. I'd get private messages from people accusing me on animal cruelty for letting my cat get so fat, who would then get all defensive and butthurt when I pointed out it was the number 1 result when you Googled fat cat.

Sorry, sidetracked, your pic just reminded me.

Ha ha, that's nuts. Haven't had any messages like that so far.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Going on holiday in a month and would like to shed this weight but find it difficult what with having a life and everything! I go to the gym two to three times a week and walk a lot. Is it achievable? Usually can't lose weight that fast. Many thanks.

It is possible but not healthy for someone at a healthy weight to lose 8 lbs in a month. Losing 2 lbs a week at your weight would mean eating a very low calorie diet. You probably would not be feeling great and based on what you say that really isn't how you want to live. You might drop a few pounds in water weight if you eat lower carb and lower your sodium intake. It'll come back though-probably right away on your holiday when you want to eat and drink more freely.

A healthy reasonable rate of loss would be more like 2 lbs in a month for you. Set you goal for .5 lb a week and give it time.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Could probably be done, but you'd screw up your metabolism so much (you'd have to have an unhealthy calorie deficit) that after your vacation you'd gain those pounds back and then some. Don't worry so much about a number on the scale -- eat healthier and exercise a bit more, and you'll head off on your trip feeling fantastic. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Possible but not recommended.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Very possible to loose eight pounds......but not in your stated time frame. Well, not loosing those eight pounds in a healthy, sustainable way in your stated time frame.

There are actually a lot of things to take into account for this: you age (not asking), your nutritional history (read: how often you have dieted in the past), your current caloric intake, your training program (if any).....

What you could do is start a feasible, sustainable and healthy nutrition plan and a training plan, set long term goals and start working on them now. The gains that you make in one month might just surprise you.
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet and realistically can do 4-5 lbs in a month if my eating is super clean and on point. Good luck!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am about your stats right now, 5' 2" and 130. My goal is 128.. things have been very slow going since about 135. As you get smaller and have less to lose the harder it becomes. I walk each day on my lunch break, then walk 4/5 nights after work and I track calories. So I'm doing everything "right" and am still struggling to lose those last few. Long story short, I'd say at your size 8lb in 1 month is going to be tough! June and July I lost 6lb each month, then in August only 3lb.. but I had more to lose back then. But good luck!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" and managed to lose a pound a week for 20 weeks with pretty aggressive dieting. I started at 140 and got to 120. I was hungry the whole time. I got sick a lot with every cold that came by, and usually I never get sick. I gained it all back within 7 months after I'd lost it. Then I discovered MFP and am back at it again, losing 0.5 pounds a week, barely. I'm at 128 and aiming for around 120 or so and have lost 16 pounds since January.

I'd recommend if you want to lose weight and keep it off for a long time, just do the program (my fitness pal's logging and tracking) and enjoy your vacation next month, calorie counting or not.

I have noticed since starting my weight loss I've been getting sick so much easier! I'm down about 25lb since the beginning of the year, and have had 4 colds this summer!! I'm dreading cold/flu season this year! Do you think weight loss can affect your immune system?