Weigh 133 pounds. Can I lose eight pounds in a month?

Options
2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Going on holiday in a month and would like to shed this weight but find it difficult what with having a life and everything! I go to the gym two to three times a week and walk a lot. Is it achievable? Usually can't lose weight that fast. Many thanks.

Yes you absolutely can. PM me when you are ready.

Why don't you post the info for everyone to see? What mlm product are you selling?

Probably amputations. given his username.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Going on holiday in a month and would like to shed this weight but find it difficult what with having a life and everything! I go to the gym two to three times a week and walk a lot. Is it achievable? Usually can't lose weight that fast. Many thanks.

Yes you absolutely can. PM me when you are ready.

Why don't you post the info for everyone to see? What mlm product are you selling?

Probably amputations. given his username.

Checked him out. He is a fitness trainer who created a diet that is strikingly similar to intermittent fasting (omad) which anyone can do without his guidance.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I know I'm gonna get lots of hate, but...I'm 5'11, 38 years old and on July 31st I weighed 161.8. Today I'm 153. So in 5 weeks I lost 8.8lbs. I'm well within the healthy BMI range (so not heavy for my height). I'm eating between 1200-1400 calories daily and barely exercising (didn't start circuit training until week 4) I'm averaging losing 1.5lbs a week. I'm not tired or hungry. I feel great and I'm hoping to get 5 more lbs off before my vacation in November.

So, when you might not be able to get ALL of what you want off - I do believe you can get some of what you want off. I'd expect 6lbs. You don't know what you CAN do until you try. Don't net under 1200 daily, and being consistant is key. Eat healthy, protein packed food. There just really is no room for error.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Not likely - not fat loss anyway.

8 x 3,500 = 28,000. That's the deficit you need for the month. 28,000/30 = 933.33 calorie deficit every day.

I can't guess your TDEE (maintenance)..... but it needs to be at least 1200+933 = 2,133 calories.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

The reason people (who are close to goal) choose slower weight loss is they want to support existing lean muscle mass. This allows for lower weight AND a lower body fat %.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I'm 5'2" and managed to lose a pound a week for 20 weeks with pretty aggressive dieting. I started at 140 and got to 120. I was hungry the whole time. I got sick a lot with every cold that came by, and usually I never get sick. I gained it all back within 7 months after I'd lost it. Then I discovered MFP and am back at it again, losing 0.5 pounds a week, barely. I'm at 128 and aiming for around 120 or so and have lost 16 pounds since January.

I'd recommend if you want to lose weight and keep it off for a long time, just do the program (my fitness pal's logging and tracking) and enjoy your vacation next month, calorie counting or not.

I have noticed since starting my weight loss I've been getting sick so much easier! I'm down about 25lb since the beginning of the year, and have had 4 colds this summer!! I'm dreading cold/flu season this year! Do you think weight loss can affect your immune system?

I think any stressor can affect your immune system. So that, while I was hungry, but glad to be losing the weight consistently with no plateau, my body was stressed. It was a test to see if I could lose a pound a week with no plateaus, just by decreasing my food intake. Unfortunately for this conversation and website, I wasn't calorie counting. I'd guess I was around 800-900 cal per day though, based on how I felt and portion size, compared to my 1200 calories I eat now.

I got a cold this summer, losing 1-2 pounds a month. Very odd, as I just so rarely get a cold. I attribute it to weight loss, and am watching my macros carefully and will add 100 calories if I get sick again to see how that goes, before winter.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Those that have responded with the concern for weight vs fat loss are on the right track in my opinion. I'm sure it's possible to lose that much weight that quickly, but I'm not sure about, in fact I'm confident that it is not likely that you will be able to lose that much fat.

-Not a nutrition or fitness expert by any stretch - had leave that caveat.