Sober September 2017

Replies

• PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    FredKing1 wrote: »
    By moderation I'm thinking special occasions, not limited quantities. I'm looking ahead to a cruise, with excursions that offer free drinks and later a stay at an all-inclusive resort. I'd rather not, but for now , I'm taking it one month at a time.

Sounds very wise Fred! I am with you taking it day by day and one month at a time.
  • PurpleLavender77
    I'd like to join in the challenge. I didn't do so well over the long weekend, but it's better to start now than wait until October!

Awesome! Welcome!
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Never a big drinker, but was becoming more regular than I care to. Have been abstaining since regular logging just over 3 weeks ago. Easy so far. Will be challenged a few times when visiting dear friend and going out with local girlfriends. But for me 100% abstaining is easier than 99%. So, count me in for 100% sober Sept!
  • jemalme
    jemalme Posts: 35 Member
    My habit has been when 8 pm rolls around, I pour a glass of wine (or 2) and catch up on my shows via Roku. Need to break this cycle. Any suggestions?
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    jemalme wrote: »
    My habit has been when 8 pm rolls around, I pour a glass of wine (or 2) and catch up on my shows via Roku. Need to break this cycle. Any suggestions?

8 may be a bit early, but I started going to bed earlier to avoid my worst times for eating and drinking.
  • PurpleLavender77

Oh I can relate to this. Have you thought about pouring some sparkling water in your wine glass or another beverage instead? If you like tea, make your evening ritual, some tea. It will help relax you and get to sleep.

Maybe you can multitask while watching TV and fold laundry or something to keep your mind off drinking or go for a quick walk before watching TV?

I know it's tricky b/c so many of the TV shows glamourize alcohol...but if you can go without , you'll sleep better and feel better eventually.

Some of it depends on what your personal goals are, but those are some suggestions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

A nice tea could be your new habit. Or a nice dark chocolate.

For me 4 or 5pm is my wine time. I've started napping or meditating at that time. :smile:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I drink flavored sparkling water. I'm actually starting to look forward to it as I only drink it at night (at "wine time"). I bought it to replace wine and psychologically it does a pretty good job.

And to the previous comment that was great, no, I never have woken up in the morning regretting that I didn't drink the night before!
  • jaimetgb
    jaimetgb Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I'm in
  • jemalme
    jemalme Posts: 35 Member
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. Another issue for me is the hubby. He is currently unemployed, and I fear he is drinking too much. I know how difficult this time is for him (as well as our entire family), but when I mention how much he drinks, he says he needs it. I would love for him to join me in Sober Sept (and stop tempting me), but I don't think that is going to happen.
  • PurpleLavender77
    Thanks everyone for the good advice. Another issue for me is the hubby. He is currently unemployed, and I fear he is drinking too much. I know how difficult this time is for him (as well as our entire family), but when I mention how much he drinks, he says he needs it. I would love for him to join me in Sober Sept (and stop tempting me), but I don't think that is going to happen.

Set an example. Be patient. He has to want this for himself. Start with yourself. Things will turn around!