Rice cookers?

Options

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I am an excellent cook and make a lot of gourmet meals. I poo-pooed the rice cooker for years, because you can make it in a pot. But now I would not want to live without it, and the rice is perfect EVERY TIME. I live in a small apartment now and the rice cooker was something I bought specifically when I wanted to start losing weight. I can't keep a lot of pots, so I really have only one that I could cook rice in, and I was avoiding it because it would always be a lot of work to clean--and I couldn't cook some other things because the rice would be in it. With the rice cooker, I don't have to watch it and it is easier to clean. I can take a shower and get dressed while my rice is cooking. I work weird hours and have to take dinner to work, so rice with vegetables or meat/fish is an easy meal.
  • Ree13x
    Ree13x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a steady diet of white rice literally every meal (cooked the persian way where you steam it in a saucepan as decreed by my VERY persian father). I am now in love with my little basic cheap rice cooker. It's WAY easier to use and the warm feature is amazing for steaming and best of all there's no need to mind it as aggressively as other methods. I've had zero issues with the cheap model since it turns out perfectly steamed rice for me every time, and no desire to upgrade. there are also many recipes for other things that can be cooked in rice cookers besides rice or other grains. definitely a worthwhile purchase.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have this Aroma rice cooker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WQ9YNO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    $30 and it's fantastic. I love that it cooks brown rice perfectly. I like to experiment with different stocks and seasonings. So convenient.
  • Patsycervantes
    Patsycervantes Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I bought my $20 rice cooker and have had it for 2years and its still going Strong. I use it to make white rice, quinoa, brown rice,buckwheat and I have cooked lentils in there before (just keep an eye on them! )
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    My rice cooker is a saucepan with a lid. It works fine.

Oh, alright. If you must know. The water goes in, the flame goes high, the rice goes in, the eyes watch. When the water begins to bubble, the lid goes on, the flame goes low and the timer goes to 17 minutes.

More or less my approach, except I use a Corningware casserole dish (oven and stovetop safe) instead of a saucepan (couldn't give you a great reason, other than my mother did it that way and I think it distributes heat more evenly than my not-very-expensive stainless steel saucepans), and I bring the water to a boil before I toss the rice in and reduce the heat, and I check it after only 15 minutes.

I have cooked rice in a saucepan, pasta-style (lots of water, drain at end). It's OK, but I prefer the starchier, stickier results of just using as much water as the rice will absorb. I imagine people who grew up on instant rice would be happy with regular rice cooked pasta-style.

I have a small kitchen, so I try to avoid specialized, single-purpose gadgets, unless it's really essential and there's no work-around. So, no garlic press, or anything else that essentially replaces a knife for one job. (No, really, I need a small and a large French press. Hey, I didn't replace the automatic drip coffee maker when the heating element broke, although I saved the nice thermal-insulated carafe. And the basket and metal-mesh insert for making pour-over. That's a net space-saving! And I only have a breadmaker because someone gave it to me as a gift, and it saves energy, especially in summer when I don't want to fight the AC by turning on the oven. And the food-scale -- I use that for baking as well as food-logging, so that's not single use. Stop looking at the wok. OK, I admit I don't cook Chinese food that often, and I could just do it in a skillet ... Just stop looking at the wok!)
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    If your space is limited, consider investing in an Instant Pot. It is a single pot that can replace many things you own, including a rice cooker. Mine does pressure cooking, slow cooking, rice, yogurt, pot roasts, soups, stews...most anything you want. You can't use it to deep fry, but it can replace so many things.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

Oh, alright. If you must know. The water goes in, the flame goes high, the rice goes in, the eyes watch. When the water begins to bubble, the lid goes on, the flame goes low and the timer goes to 22 minutes.

I'm going to revise and extend, but only in hopes of collecting another 'woo'. I made the rice the next morning and after 17 minutes it was obvious that my low flame had been too low to adequately cook the rice in 17 minutes. I returned the rice to the pot and returned the flame to low for an additional 5.
  • TravelingGuru
    TravelingGuru Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use an old 1-button "Elite" model. Was given to me (used) years ago. Not sure how long, but I had it before moving to this house 12 years ago. Works perfect for white/brown rice. I do basmati on stove top.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I suggest Cuckoo (Korean) you can buy them in Asian food marts or on Amazon.

Bought one after going through what felt like my umpteenth cheap rice maker. Colleague brought one to a potluck and the rice was amazing.

The one I bought doubles as a crock pot/slow cooker. It can be programmed to start so the rice/quinoa/stew is ready when I get home and can keep everything warm and fresh for over 12 hours (no drying or burning). Has different settings for different types of rice.

Amazing little gadget!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    I bought my wife an engagement ring that was relatively expensive for me and she cooks my rice.

You eat rice? You were Mr. Keto on another thread. #confused
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I bought my wife an engagement ring that was relatively expensive for me and she cooks my rice.

I'm just breaking balls. I said my wife was my rice cooker; I assumed the joke would be obvious.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

I do the cyclical keto diet. I do eat carbs once every 10-14 days.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a cheapy with "cook," "warm," and "unplugged" settings. It has a poorly fitting steamer section that can sit on top. It works great. White, brown, pearl, jasmine, Calrose, it's all good. Can't imagine paying the big bucks.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Get an Instant Pot. It does a beautiful job on rice and you can use it for other things...like making yogurt!
  • marcrtaylor
    marcrtaylor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just because its fun to share, I use the Delia Smith method in a pan and it has never failed me. Warm a small (teaspoon is usually enough) amount of oil in a pan. Make sure you have boiled your kettle and have some hot water to hand. Add white rice to the oil and mix gently so it is coated (you don't need to wash the rice beforehand). Then add water using a 2/1 ratio. Put the lid on the pan and leave it on a low heat for 15 minutes. Turn the heat off, leave it to steam with the lid off for a few minutes and there you go!
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I went with the Aroma Rice Cooker & I love it! Works amazing & wasn't at all expensive.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Oh, alright. If you must know. The water goes in, the flame goes high, the rice goes in, the eyes watch. When the water begins to bubble, the lid goes on, the flame goes low and the timer goes to 22 minutes.

I'm going to revise and extend, but only in hopes of collecting another 'woo'. I made the rice the next morning and after 17 minutes it was obvious that my low flame had been too low to adequately cook the rice in 17 minutes. I returned the rice to the pot and returned the flame to low for an additional 5.

OMG thank you so much! You know I never thought to make rice in a pot before! What would I do without people like you & your amazing suggestions?! Wow! Mind blown!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I've had a Panasonic for about 10 years and it still works as well as the day I bought it. It was about $25, I think. It was love at first sight because my former roommate's cooker always burned the bottom of the rice, but mine has never burned so much as one single grain. (One more reason I'm glad I moved out!) Easy to wash, simple to operate, love it.

If it ever dies a natural death, I may look into an electric pressure cooker just for the convenience of having one appliance that does many different things. (I also have a 35-year-old slow-cooker that probably won't last forever!)
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My cheap-as-dirt ($20?) rice cooker has lasted foreeeever. (Well, maybe not that long, but...three moves, and something like seven years). I only use it for rice. It's Aroma brand, small and cute, with two settings (Cook and Warm). The only times I've ever had even slightly burnt rice are when I leave it more than ten minutes after it switched over the the Warm setting (which it does automatically). Less is sometimes more.