How do you all do it?

Options
How do you all stay on track for long periods of time. I was doing good for a few days then today happened. 2 sandwiches on white bread with processed lunch meat processed cheese and mayo. Then half a bag of crispers and half a tube of pringles. Now my bp is up and making my head screwy.

It happens every time i have a few good days and my bp comes down just a few points and i start to feel better then i do days like today.

How do you all keep on track. Please no smart remarks I know I messed up just looking for advice to not make it happen again.

Replies

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Stay focused, keep logging your meals and don't give up.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I mess up a LOT. I overeat at least two times a week. However, what you described is probably NOT something I'd do. Every food you described probably makes your crave foods more. White Bread? LOVE IT (with PB&J) but it just does NOT come into my life anymore. DO NOT BUY IT anymore. That sort of eating leads me right to the chips and other things that naturally go with it.

We all have days that we slip and eat something that seems to derail us but I think you probably need to plan a little better. You might eat more than you should here and there, but you need to work on not having things that are your trigger foods so easily accessible. Not trying to lecture or shame you, but you did ask how we do it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Like everyone else I stay the track by not expecting to stay the track all the time. This is what my life is now, and if I don't bend with what my days throw at me from time to time I'm not being realistically serious about doing it long term. In my opinion, weight loss is much more about learning how to live life while working on my goals instead of the other way around, trying to bend life to fit my goals. Not going to happen. I believe in tweaks, not 180s. At least for myself, someone who is lazy and loves food.

Are you restricting too much or eliminating foods needlessly? You mentioned white bread and processed meat as things that you felt derailed you. You'll serve your diet best if you don't eliminate something unless you feel doing so makes dieting easier, not because someone somewhere said white is bad and processed is evil. I really hope you were just listing foods you overate to illustrate that you overate, and not to point out that you felt derailed because of the kinds of food you overate. Dieting does get easier with time, but it gets even easier when you don't create unrealistic or arbitrary rules for yourself. I just use this litmus test: is this something that has the potential to feel natural to me and I see myself doing long term?
  • bigguygettingskinny
    Options
    Like everyone else I stay the track by not expecting to stay the track all the time. This is what my life is now, and if I don't bend with what my days throw at me from time to time I'm not being realistically serious about doing it long term. In my opinion, weight loss is much more about learning how to live life while working on my goals instead of the other way around, trying to bend life to fit my goals. Not going to happen. I believe in tweaks, not 180s. At least for myself, someone who is lazy and loves food.

Are you restricting too much or eliminating foods needlessly? You mentioned white bread and processed meat as things that you felt derailed you. You'll serve your diet best if you don't eliminate something unless you feel doing so makes dieting easier, not because someone somewhere said white is bad and processed is evil. I really hope you were just listing foods you overate to illustrate that you overate, and not to point out that you felt derailed because of the kinds of food you overate. Dieting does get easier with time, but it gets even easier when you don't create unrealistic or arbitrary rules for yourself. I just use this litmus test: is this something that has the potential to feel natural to me and I see myself doing long term?

The process meat I said as it is full of sodium and I have high blood pressure and am suppose to not go over 1800mg ish. Same with the chips.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I agree with all this--it just sounds like these types of foods are trigger foods for the OP; hence, one type of food led to another and he overate. I recommend avoiding those foods until you get better control of your eating. Sounds like he's just a few days in.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

The process meat I said as it is full of sodium and I have high blood pressure and am suppose to not go over 1800mg ish. Same with the chips.

Cook and slice your own meats for sandwiches. This is what I do for my hypertensive sandwich loving husband.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There's so much wisdom here! Many people already said "It happens. Log it and move on". They're SO right.

And @CMNVA also had a great suggestion - if it came from your house, don't bring it in anymore. And if you do, log it and move on! You can do this!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for having a misstep, just don't compound that single occurrence by throwing in the towel and punting on the whole day or week. Setbacks, poor choices, circumstances out of our control all happen, just do what you can to mitigate them. This is a process, use each hiccup on the way as a learning experience of where your pitfalls are and how to avoid them. Like others suggested, don't buy certain foods any more, plan out meals for the day in advance, lay out workout clothes the night before, pre-pack your gym bag, etc. I learned I needed to stop carrying around small bills to force myself not to get something out of the vending machine when I was bored at work at 3pm. Motivation and will power only get us so far, create a structure of habits to keep you on track when your willpower starts to wane.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Also - get rid of the foods you know you have problems with until you know you are in better control of yourself. Out of sight, out of mind.

I totally avoided pizza (and didn't order it for the family) for the first three months of my weight loss efforts. It's simply one of those foods that destroys my willpower and I knew I was better off without it.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I forced myself to do it for the first few weeks, the longer you force yourself to do it the more it becomes a habit. Now if I don't log something I feel guilty and anxious.

the very act of logging all of my food also helps me make better choices, because I can see them front and center, in real time. I'll start to log something and say "nope, that's not gonna work" and eat something else.