help picking a healthy peanut butter (PB)

Options
2»

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Skippy makes a Natural PB that is very good.
    Jif makes a Natural PB that is also low sodium that tastes very good. I think it is the best.

Those both contain added sugar and palm oil.

Nuts are high in fat, period. They are good for you, so there is no need to avoid PB if your calories allow. As stated upthread, buy a truly all-natural one. Ingredients should be either just "Peanuts" or "Peanuts & Salt." I have to buy salted, not a fan of the saltless PB.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and read the labels. Look for peanut butters with one ingredient: peanuts. Can't get more natural/healthy than that. You don't need the added oils/sugars/salts that many brands add. It does take a little time to adjust to the slightly different taste (not overly sweet like "regular" pb is) but I've found that now I prefer PB that's got no extra ingredients.

Peanut butter seperates. Only Peanuts is of course great - but.....it will seperate and if you dont eat it every day it becomes very difficult to stir and spread. FInd one that has molasses added; it is still good for you, but helps avoid seperation!

Storing it upside down and in the refrigerator helps.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    whats the best peanut butter? i know saturated fat is bad, is there anything else to look out for? Is there a brand with more protein and/or less calories?

The best peanut butter would involve peanuts, salt, & a food processor.

As for a brand though, just look for "Natural Peanut Butter" with the above ingredients.

The only brand of peanut butter with exceedingly high protein - Power Butter, isn't really peanut butter at all, it's more of a faux-butter mix with peanut butter added in. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pb/peanut.html?mcid=CG-MsclBldProd&esvcid=S1312157912_ADOGOE_AGI94_CRE7396841242_TID2975_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20=
  • vaston
    vaston Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sunland Organic Peanut Butter:
    http://www.sunlandinc.com/zcom/product/Product.do?compid=788&prodid=18

Serving Size: 2 tbsp (32g)
    Calories: 200
    Fat Calories: 140
    Fats: 15g
    Sat: 3g
    Trans: 0g
    Cholesterol: 0mg
    Sodium: 0mg
    Carbs: 6g
    Fiber: 1g
    Sugars: 1g
    Protein: 9g

INGREDIENTS: 100% Organic Roasted Valencia Peanuts.

AND it actually tastes good!
    I buy it at my local farmers market
  • vulrich93
    Options
    Peanuts, like all nuts, are high in calories and fat (but the good fats). There won't ever be a low-calorie peanut butter (like 20 calories per tablespoon). I use the natural peanut butter, with no added sugar or oils. The hydrogenated oils in processed peanut butter is what's really the bad thing about it.

Remember to use it in moderation! :) I only eat about a tablespoon or 2 per day, even though I'm in loooooove with peanut butter.
  • aleah623
    aleah623 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Check out Naturally Nutty. I eat their amond butter. Their products are all organic and very few ingredients. They have a huge line of peanut butter. www.natuallynutty.com

Only somewhat bad part is you have to order from their website. 1 store in my area carries very limited variety of it.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You want to read the label and pick the peanut butter that has only one ingredient: organic roasted peanuts.

I currently use Santa Cruz Organic Peanut Butter (creamy) and I think the taste is pretty good and it doesn't have too much separated oil on top to stir back in, so the consistency is better than most natural peanut butters.

You can also try almond butter to switch things up, too.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE Jif All Natual! So creamy and so good (no added junk).

I just saw that in the store the other day and was wondering if I should try it. Next time I go I will pick up a jar. Thanks for the feedback! :smile:
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store and read the labels. Look for peanut butters with one ingredient: peanuts. Can't get more natural/healthy than that. You don't need the added oils/sugars/salts that many brands add. It does take a little time to adjust to the slightly different taste (not overly sweet like "regular" pb is) but I've found that now I prefer PB that's got no extra ingredients.

Ditto to this. I'd also look for organic, since I've read that peanuts are one of the foods (like berries and corn) that are better to eat when they're organic. I don't have references, but I'm sure you could find info online.

Also, just eat one tablespoon, as opposed to two. You'll still get the flavor and satisfy your craving, but cut the calories in half. Good luck! :)
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Adams 100% Natural - Safeway and City Market carry it. Peanuts and a little salt- that's it. It's wonderful.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I buy natural (peanuts only) peanut butter, then mix in salt and artifical sweetiner to taste; it doesn't take a lot of either. I use a stand mixer to really mix it up and incorporate the oil that really helps with the seperation problem that natural peanut butter has. I usually make 2 Kg batches, I use 1 or 2 each of a splenda packet, a sugar twin packet, and stevia packet - the blend gives good flavour - and around a teaspoon of fine grain sea salt.
  • kjpollard
    Options
    It's not bad for you. There is a huge debate on saturated fat but look at some scholarly journals and look at the new research, it isn't bad at all. But get a pb with nothing but peanuts, it's simple :)

I agree, it's so full of protien, and you don't need a lot to satisfy! Don't buy into the "lowfat"...it's not that much lower. :laugh:

However, if you don't want preservatives, etc. you can grind your own at Wholefoods / Harry's if they have one near you.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Peanut butter seperates. Only Peanuts is of course great - but.....it will seperate and if you dont eat it every day it becomes very difficult to stir and spread. FInd one that has molasses added; it is still good for you, but helps avoid seperation!

I buy Krema PB which is only peanuts. I stir it when I buy it, then put it in the fridge - it's not difficult to use at all. Obviously a little stiffer than PB with added oils & whatnot to prevent separation, but I don't find it bothersome at all. I think it's worth it to buy PB without added sugars/oils/salts. I had the same experience with other peanut-only PB's, like Adams.