Workout attire for the mature woman

Options
1235»

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

ritzvin wrote: »
    I would like non-pink gym clothing not to be an expensive, niche product. I don't need to reassure myself and onlookers that I'm really a woman. Nor do I need gym clothing to be coloured pink to reassure me that exercise isn't just for men.

speaking of colors.. shoes! Why are plain black civilized-looking running sneakers (that could be worn to work, etc, rather than being forced to carry 1 more bulky item along with running clothes) such a rarity?! My feet do not need to be dayglow-orange-neon-pink.
    Oh yes. I bought new running shoes on Saturday, from my local friendly sports chain. All the women's were brightly coloured somewhere, but the men's section included both funky and sombre choices.

Also, apparently only men have flat feet?

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I would like non-pink gym clothing not to be an expensive, niche product. I don't need to reassure myself and onlookers that I'm really a woman. Nor do I need gym clothing to be coloured pink to reassure me that exercise isn't just for men.

speaking of colors.. shoes! Why are plain black civilized-looking running sneakers (that could be worn to work, etc, rather than being forced to carry 1 more bulky item along with running clothes) such a rarity?! My feet do not need to be dayglow-orange-neon-pink.

Try New Balance and Skechers. Regretably, neither make really "running" shoes in the basic black, but at least they can be worn for walking/gym equipment.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of backless, stringy, 'fancy' workout clothes that confuse women into thinking it's acceptable to wear them as outfits. It's not. Stop being lazy and get dressed. I'd rather workout clothes be kept simple and well fitting with clean lines. Short sleeved moisture wicking tops that are longer. Real compression; I've really only found appropriate workout bottoms at Fabletics, everywhere else doesn't offer the same level of support.

Or people can wear what they want. Im not changing just to go to the store. Oh well.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of backless, stringy, 'fancy' workout clothes that confuse women into thinking it's acceptable to wear them as outfits. It's not. Stop being lazy and get dressed. I'd rather workout clothes be kept simple and well fitting with clean lines. Short sleeved moisture wicking tops that are longer. Real compression; I've really only found appropriate workout bottoms at Fabletics, everywhere else doesn't offer the same level of support.

I like low backs and stuff. I don't want stuff sticking to me and I like to see my muscles when I workout. I'm not lazy. I spend over 10 hours per week lifting weights.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Ritzvin...lol! I have to wear men's shoes because I have scows for feet. The ones that fit me are all boring colors. I'm always so envious of people who get bright shoes.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    YES! Real pockets. The only thing I could fit in the ones in my shorts is one condom, and I don't think I'll need one during a run.

Sports bras that close in the front. I have seen some that do, but they've all been for the more amply endowed woman. Or at least ones that fully hook like a regular bra, rather than pullover, then hook. Since my back injury 3 years ago, I'm not quite as flexible as I used to be.

I love the running shorts with the built-in panties, but wish the shorts themselves were just a little bit longer.

Athletic wear meant for an athletic body. Something that fits my waist is too tight in the shoulders and arms. Long sleeve shirts that otherwise fit fine are too small on the forearm, so I can't push the sleeves up. A lot of shorts that fit my bum are tight in the quads. I'm not THAT muscular.

Under armour sells front close sports bras in every size.

Soccer shorts are great!!! Generally come to mid thigh in length, also they tend to be cut for soccer players (ie, people that have glutes & quads!). You can even find one with build in underwear (I think Adidas has them, but not sure).

Dance apperal for shirts: dancers tend to have broader shoulders and narrow waists, their clothing is cut for them (discount Dance supply is pretty good for price). Also Zoot brand shirts.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I like low backs and stuff. I don't want stuff sticking to me and I like to see my muscles when I workout. I'm not lazy. I spend over 10 hours per week lifting weights.

I think you missed my point. I think it is lazy when women substitute workout gear for actual clothing to go to actual events.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Or people can wear what they want. Im not changing just to go to the store. Oh well.

Pretty sure the entire point of this thread was to talk about the CHANGES you'd like to see, not the way you want things to stay the same.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    Make tank tops NOT cling to mah belly!!

Same.

I'd like a pair of shorts that aren't corny and long to the knees, but that my *kitten* also does not eat. For now I pretty much can't wear them.

This. Too short and I get rash on my thighs. any below my knee I call sweat PANTS. Bermuda short length and style is perfect, made from wicking type material that is a little looser, but not so loose it moves too much and causes a rash.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

Pretty sure the entire point of this thread was to talk about the CHANGES you'd like to see, not the way you want things to stay the same.

To clothes... not sure where that includes unesssary judgement on how someone dresses.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I think you missed my point. I think it is lazy when women substitute workout gear for actual clothing to go to actual events.

Yeah. I live in my workout gear. I will go wherever I want in it. I think it looks fine.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Same.

I'd like a pair of shorts that aren't corny and long to the knees, but that my *kitten* also does not eat. For now I pretty much can't wear them.

This. Too short and I get rash on my thighs. any below my knee I call sweat PANTS. Bermuda short length and style is perfect, made from wicking type material that is a little looser, but not so loose it moves too much and causes a rash.

7" shorts are my go to. (Usually Under Armour or Baleaf). I know by now that they HAVE to be "7"". ETA: I go with the tight stretchy shorts though.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Same.

Nah. I mean bermuda's might be comfortable but I really don't like how they look. Can't do it