Hi I need help

Options
MagickRain
MagickRain Posts: 10 Member
edited September 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hi my name is angel and I am 21 years old. I have been fighting my weight since about 14 years old. I have tried everything, from doctors suggestions to fad diets and NOTHING has worked. I'm still stuck at the same spot I have been for 7 years. I need some friends to help motivate me and keep me going even when it seems impossible, because at this point I am about ready to give up :(

Replies

• waltzingmom
    waltzingmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi. Wishing you good luck in your journey. What works for me is cutting out all added sugars, getting at least 30 minutes of exercise each day (even if it's just walking at a moderate pace), eating healthy food including lots of vegetables, and remembering that I HAVE to do this to avoid getting a heart attack or cancer or whatever, whether or not I feel motivated. Maybe this can work for you too. All the best to you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you tried setting an appropriate calorie goal for your height and weight, and logging food intake consistently? That works.
  • MagickRain
    Options
    Have you tried setting an appropriate calorie goal for your height and weight, and logging food intake consistently? That works.

Yes I have as it was one of many plans set by my doctor. I have had hundreds of tests ran to see if there is a medical problem blocking my weight loss and all of them came back negitive. I just have no clue why I don't loose weight when I do increase activity and decrease caloric intake.
  • MagickRain
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    I second the cutting of added sugars..
    Start simple. Stop drinking full sugar sodas (preferably ALL soda but..baby steps)..

Stop eating any bread item. This means breads, donuts, pastries, cookies, pizza crust, pie crust, biscuits, CEREAL, flour and bread crumb coating on fried foods..etc etc.. ALLLLL bread items! If you like friend chicken, use pork rinds as a breading. At first I was like.. eww.. cause I hate pork rinds. Turns out it makes an amazing breading substitute.

Stop eating ALL noodles. Like pasta? Try alternative pasta sources, like zucchini noodles. (Trust me, chicken alfredo over zucchini noodles is AWESOME! So is lasagna made with zucchini strips instead of flat noodles!)

Stop eating rice. Make cauliflower rice. Taste just like rice. Make cauliflower mashed potatoes.. (For the record, I despise cauliflower! Always have! I swear to you I can't tell the difference! I have been choking down nasty cauliflower the wrong way all my life. Obviously it was meant to be a rice and potato substitute!)

Stop eating sugar.. try a substitute if you like but I think they are disgusting. Some people can't tell the difference but I can taste a chemical after taste. Maybe you won't. But anything with pure cane sugar or corn sugar .. drop it. Say no to candy, juices, syrups..etc

Just cut these for now. Eat your veggies and fruits and heck.. have potatoes..

And don't underestimate meats ability to leave you feeling full. Bacon and eggs are NOT the enemy. Carbs are.

I unfortunately do not have the financial resources to do this. Great idea and one that has been tried before by myself but it always fails because I don't have the money to continue it :/
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    MagickRain wrote: »
    Start simple. Stop drinking full sugar sodas (preferably ALL soda but..baby steps)..

Stop eating any bread item. This means breads, donuts, pastries, cookies, pizza crust, pie crust, biscuits, CEREAL, flour and bread crumb coating on fried foods..etc etc.. ALLLLL bread items! If you like friend chicken, use pork rinds as a breading. At first I was like.. eww.. cause I hate pork rinds. Turns out it makes an amazing breading substitute.

Stop eating ALL noodles. Like pasta? Try alternative pasta sources, like zucchini noodles. (Trust me, chicken alfredo over zucchini noodles is AWESOME! So is lasagna made with zucchini strips instead of flat noodles!)

Stop eating rice. Make cauliflower rice. Taste just like rice. Make cauliflower mashed potatoes.. (For the record, I despise cauliflower! Always have! I swear to you I can't tell the difference! I have been choking down nasty cauliflower the wrong way all my life. Obviously it was meant to be a rice and potato substitute!)

Stop eating sugar.. try a substitute if you like but I think they are disgusting. Some people can't tell the difference but I can taste a chemical after taste. Maybe you won't. But anything with pure cane sugar or corn sugar .. drop it. Say no to candy, juices, syrups..etc

And don't underestimate meats ability to leave you feeling full. Bacon and eggs are NOT the enemy. Carbs are.

I unfortunately do not have the financial resources to do this. Great idea and one that has been tried before by myself but it always fails because I don't have the money to continue it :/

Uhh.. How are you shopping?? I've saved money since dropping carbs...and I shop for 7! I just made them go keto with me. Everyone is dropping weight like crazy because no one is hungry. They snacked before, and now they are full so no more buying junk food. At first I was thought this was going to kill my budget. Meat is fairly steep. Bacon surely is! But my spending went down. Eggs are cheaper than cereal. One egg does what an entire bowl of cereal could never do for us.. keep us satisfied till our next meal. Chicken is WAY cheap. Pork is too but yuck..

I'm going to have to create a shopping list someday so people can see how to shop.

• MagickRain
    Options

Uhh.. How are you shopping?? I've saved money since dropping carbs...and I shop for 7! I just made them go keto with me. Everyone is dropping weight like crazy because no one is hungry. They snacked before, and now they are full so no more buying junk food. At first I was thought this was going to kill my budget. Meat is fairly steep. Bacon surely is! But my spending went down. Eggs are cheaper than cereal. One egg does what an entire bowl of cereal could never do for us.. keep us satisfied till our next meal. Chicken is WAY cheap. Pork is too but yuck..

I'm going to have to create a shopping list someday so people can see how to shop.

My issue is that my wife will not drop carbs (she really can't afford to with how skinny she is) or soda and we can't afford to shop for 2 different sets of meals.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is angel and I am 21 years old. I have been fighting my weight since about 14 years old. I have tried everything, from doctors suggestions to fad diets and NOTHING has worked. I'm still stuck at the same spot I have been for 7 years. I need some friends to help motivate me and keep me going even when it seems impossible, because at this point I am about ready to give up :(

@abetterme9366 was a very positive resource for me. I recommend reaching out to her for help and guidance.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options

My issue is that my wife will not drop carbs (she really can't afford to with how skinny she is) or soda and we can't afford to shop for 2 different sets of meals.

Shopping for two can be a problem, but what about just shopping as you are but not eating carbs? Make a meal plan together where you both benefit from the same ingredients?

Biscuits and sausage gravy
    She has it, you have the sausage and two eggs.

Meat and cheese sandwhich
    She has it, you wrap in lettuce or make a salad with an egg.

Dinner.. you both have a meat and veggies and she can have a carb while you have a little more veggies.

None of these suggestions hurts the budget. You might have to spend an extra dollar on a head of lettuce and dollar fifty on a carton of eggs for the week. At MOST you may spend 5 extra a week but I doubt it.

Do what you want though. You can lose weight just by cutting calories, but if nothing has worked, if you get desperate enough, your excuses will turn into solutions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Yes I have as it was one of many plans set by my doctor. I have had hundreds of tests ran to see if there is a medical problem blocking my weight loss and all of them came back negitive. I just have no clue why I don't loose weight when I do increase activity and decrease caloric intake.
    You have to do it for real, not just "pretend" - read the link ISweat4This provided.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Angel.

Welcome and good luck. You'll get there, just focus on small goals. Non weight ones can be more motivating. (Tracking, eating or not specific things, something fitness related).

I would say the first thing is to get a scale and start tracking. Also make sure you don't eat too little - calories should be based on what you actually do, not what you think you'll be doing.

Then make small realistic changes. The best plan in the world is useless if you won't do it. Some people do really well with radical restrictive diets. Many have 0 interest in that (I love pizza too much). The best diet/plan is one that works and you'll stick with.

Cut out soda, or at least go to diet. Eat less and better carbs - brown rice, whole grain pasta and bread, things like quinoa. Add more veggies - frozen veggies are as good as fresh (avoid the ones with sauces) and can be a lot cheaper. Canned can be low quality with a lot of sodium, so if that's your best option watch that. Try to eat leaner protein - chicken, fish, beans, eggs.

Most chain restaurants have nutritional info online - if you can't avoid it, decided in advance so you can make a better decision.

Move more if that's an issue. Anything is good as long as it's more than now.

Finally if you're a woman have your MD check for PCOS. I get the impression that they probably already checked for everything else. It only affects women, is strongly linked to weight gain and diabetes, and a lot of MDs don't look at it until you have trouble conceiving.

Just focus on making small healthy changes that are maintainable long term and make the journey and the process as much a focus as weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options

How long have you been tracking your food? That's the only way.

Can you open up your food diary for us to try to help? It's here, at the bottom of the page. Set it to "Public" :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

You so sassy :wink:

fqgwkccdgi5v.gif

• aeloine
    edited September 2017
    Options

This is completely backwards. Soda is bad for BOTH of you. Literally, if you cut out the soda, you can afford the extra carton of eggs for the week or an extra block of tofu. A vending machine soda is a buck fifty, two dollars at the gas station, or $5+ at the store for a 12 pack.

She ALSO doesn't NEED (highly processed) carbs, and if she does need a higher carb quantity, a banana has 27 grams of carbs. A tomato has 5g.

This is not rocket science -- eating healthier on a budget is not going to break the bank. If you're wanting to toss nutrition aside and JUST eat for the calorie count, it's going to be CHEAPER because you're eating the same things you've always eaten, but in smaller quantities. LITERALLY less than you've always eaten, if you want to go that route.

A budget is just an excuse. You don't HAVE to buy food that's marketed as "healthy". Eat donuts, eat organic kale, drink all your calories, it doesn't matter.... as long as you COUNT them.
  • MagickRain
    Options

You have to do it for real, not just "pretend" - read the link ISweat4This provided.

Wow.... Thanks for the pep talk. You sound like my ex
  • aeloine
    Options

Wow.... Thanks for the pep talk. You sound like my ex

I like how you focused on that and not ANY OTHER HELPFUL response
  • nikkie482
    nikkie482 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting there is a lot of info about it on YouTube. You can try that. Hope that's helpful
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    It is hard when you eat with someone that doesn't eat well but not impossible. Skinny people can also benefit from healthy food choices too. Think of it this way diets are always temporary. Healthy lifestyle is something that can go on forever. It always boils down to simple math, if you are in calorie deficit you must lose weight. Its not super fast or a pill it is just plain deficit and works. Be prepared to dedicate the rest of your life to your new lifestyle.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to get started. My first two weeks were the worst. I think I was truly addicted to some of my food choices. You have a lot of people rooting for you, though! In difficult moments I like to pop onto the forums and read success stories. I find them so inspiring. And really, just try to focus on right now. Not even "one day at a time", but "one minute at a time". You can do it!!!!