First day on keto

Options
Yea. My first day on keto. Is it normal to have this headache?

Replies

• cdelgado9009
    cdelgado9009 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My first day officially on keto! I actually found out about this in my last month of pregnancy (June). I had urine tested at my regular appointment and my body was in ketosis. I had thought I was sick but it was actually keto-flu! I resumed regular eating and now that I'm 2months post I am officially starting today! Message me add me if you want!
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's what they call the "Keto flu." Your blood glucose should start dropping today and you may even be a little dehydrated if your sodium seems higher than normal (happened to me with the added meats/cheeses/nuts). More water or Propel will help.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes what Jenna said, get you large water bottle, slice some lime into it, and drink, all day. You will loose noticeable amount of water and salt over next few weeks. Make sure you replace both. Good luck.
  • missyntexas09
    missyntexas09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    jadebuniel wrote: »

Of course, your body is going thru sugar withdrawals, it's a drug for your brain. The headache will pass in 48 hours. But your body will still be sluggish for 2 weeks or so. Stay strong. Don't eat any carbs. You will normalize and balance out, and hey, welcome to a healthier way of life!

My sample day:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs 1 Hebrew National jumbo frank. Coffee with half and half. 450 cals
    Lunch: 7 Brazil nuts. 150 cals
    Dinner. Avocado salad with spinach leaf, olive oil, cheese cubes, and 4 oz fatty farm raised salmon or 4oz 80/20 ground beef/lamb patty. Cook with real butter. 900 cals.

Any questions, just ask. Happy to share.

• missyntexas09
    missyntexas09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any other meal examples for keto would be appreciated. I'm struggling.
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Any other meal examples for keto would be appreciated. I'm struggling.

Yea. Like how do you insert vegies on keto without tasting so bad
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    Btw thanks for the responses
  • azn_played_awt
    azn_played_awt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you guys want some keto recipe watch Remington James YouTube videos on his keto diet meal plans. He tells you every ingredients and the macros in it too as well as how to meal plan everything. I would recommend to follow him on all his YouTube keto videos.

• abarrera915
    abarrera915 Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am sort of starting keto this week... but I am easing into it rather than jumping in with both feet. Mainly because I have non-Keto foods in the house and I want to eat them rather than waste it and lose the money I paid. And, I am just trying to figure out how to track macros correctly, how to weigh food, portion sizes, and how to cook. I have a lot to learn... but I am taking it one step at a time. With the food tracking I am doing much better at staying within (or at least near) my calorie goals... and I am learning that in order to get my potassium, magnesium and sodium up, I need to eat more green leafy vegetables. So tracking is helping me a lot. Going to make this time stick... a life change not a diet. Wish me luck!
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    Missy, What did we eat before keto? Chicken and rice, rice and chicken, beef and potatoes, fish and spaghetti. Rice and beans. Not too much variety with basic foods in the average diet. Now I'm so full with the 2 main meals, I don't even think about food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

The headache is common but completely preventable. "Keto flu" is actually an electrolyte imbalance. When you lower carbs your insulin goes down. Since high insulin is responsible for water retention, low insulin causes you to lose water weight and electrolytes along with it.

When electrolytes go low, one may experience headaches, fatigue, nausea, brain fog, BM issues (often constipation), muscle aches, and eventually muscle spasms (caused when sodium gets so low that you start to leech potassium and magnesium out of bones and tissue).

You may need 3000-5000+ mg of sodium per day to replace the sodium you are losing. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of table salt, so you need about 2 tsp worth of salt. Some get it by drinking broth, taking salt tablets or eating salt with water. Salting your food liberally may not be enough.

Don't let it go too long before you increase sodium. I had a hard time believing I needed that much salt. The headache went on and on... Eventually after I started getting muscle spasms in the night. I added a teaspoon of salt to water the next morning and I started feeling better that day.

As long as you take care of your salt, you will probably not need extra fluids. Plus those extra fluids will flush more electrolytes from your body. Normal water consumption is usually all that is needed.

You may still be very mildly weaker for a few weeks as your body gets fat adapted (starts to prefer fats) but it is typically only athletes who would notice a slight decline in their performance for a few weeks - slight being the key word.

Try the Low Carber Daily of keto MFP groups for more info. Good luck!
  • Tsoggo
    edited September 2017
    Options

Of course, your body is going thru sugar withdrawals, it's a drug for your brain. The headache will pass in 48 hours. But your body will still be sluggish for 2 weeks or so. Stay strong. Don't eat any carbs. You will normalize and balance out, and hey, welcome to a healthier way of life!

My sample day:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs 1 Hebrew National jumbo frank. Coffee with half and half. 450 cals
    Lunch: 7 Brazil nuts. 150 cals
    Dinner. Avocado salad with spinach leaf, olive oil, cheese cubes, and 4 oz fatty farm raised salmon or 4oz 80/20 ground beef/lamb patty. Cook with real butter. 900 cals.

Any questions, just ask. Happy to share.

Can I add soy milk to my diet? Just for smoothies. Bacause i read it somewhere to avoid soy products while on keto
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Can I add soy milk to my diet? Just for avocado smoothies. Because I read it somewhere to avoid soy products while on keto

I think some avoid soy for other reasons. I can't see why it would be a problem with keto unless it has a high carb content.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    I just looked up soy milk nutrition , if it's unsweetened, it still has 2 things going against it in my humble opinion.. one, the fat to protein ratio is backwards, two, a cup of soy milk will put you at about 15g carbs. That's pretty close to daily 20g total, 3 cherry tomatoes and you are over, right. So I personally would not use this product. Of course it's way lower carb compared to milk, everything is relative. Have you looked at unsweetened almond milk? It looks better stat wise then soy...And here is another danger in my mind, both of these products are tasteless and bland. Because of the manufacturing process, they may sneak some sweetener in the ingredients. So you must check ingredients too.
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    I just looked up soy milk nutrition , if it's unsweetened, it still has 2 things going against it in my humble opinion.. one, the fat to protein ratio is backwards, two, a cup of soy milk will put you at about 15g carbs. That's pretty close to daily 20g total, 3 cherry tomatoes and you are over, right. So I personally would not use this product. Of course it's way lower carb compared to milk, everything is relative. Have you looked at unsweetened almond milk? It looks better stat wise then soy...And here is another danger in my mind, both of these products are tasteless and bland. Because of the manufacturing process, they may sneak some sweetener in the ingredients. So you must check ingredients too.

Almond milk is not available in my area. Another question, I want to use this desiccated coconut. In the nutritional facts fiber is greater than the carbs so does it mean it has negative carbs? Also, do I have to subtract fiber from carbs?
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    Also I'm going for less than 50g carbs a day. Should I go for less than 20g?
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Low carb and ketosis is different - If you want to be in ketosis 20 is goal
    Also I'm going for less than 50g carbs a day. Should I go for less than 20g?