First day on keto

Options

Replies

• Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Low carb and ketosis is different - If you want to be in ketosis 20 is goal
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Also I'm going for less than 50g carbs a day. Should I go for less than 20g?

I thought less than 50 is moderate keto while less than 20 is extreme keto
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Any lowering of carbs is beneficial, under 20g is gold, under 50 is silver. The whole point of the low carb exercise is to reduce insulin spikes. So push as low as you can.
    Also "we" count total carbs on labels, we are not subtracting fiber.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,407 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    I just looked up soy milk nutrition , if it's unsweetened, it still has 2 things going against it in my humble opinion.. one, the fat to protein ratio is backwards, two, a cup of soy milk will put you at about 15g carbs. That's pretty close to daily 20g total, 3 cherry tomatoes and you are over, right. So I personally would not use this product. Of course it's way lower carb compared to milk, everything is relative. Have you looked at unsweetened almond milk? It looks better stat wise then soy...And here is another danger in my mind, both of these products are tasteless and bland. Because of the manufacturing process, they may sneak some sweetener in the ingredients. So you must check ingredients too.

Almond milk is not available in my area. Another question, I want to use this desiccated coconut. In the nutritional facts fiber is greater than the carbs so does it mean it has negative carbs? Also, do I have to subtract fiber from carbs?

Ah I saw this before with Chia Seeds. No, its not negative carbs, it just means that the fibre has already been taken out of the carb total.

ETA Generally in Europe and England our fibre has already been taken out of the carb total on the nutritional info on packets. It's just fruit and veg you can take the fibre away.

Disappointing, I know. :cry:

Also, Do you have Koko? It's a coconut milk alternative. Still pretty low.
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    Any lowering of carbs is beneficial, under 20g is gold, under 50 is silver. The whole point of the low carb exercise is to reduce insulin spikes. So push as low as you can.

So if you eat 100g avocado you consider the 12g carbs or just 2g because of the 10g fiber
  • Lois_1989
    edited September 2017
    Options

So if you eat 100g avocado you consider the 12g carbs or just 2g because of the 10g fiber

I would go for 2g, but I want to see what others say, because I might be doing it wrong this. whole. time. :#
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Keep in mind that in Northern America, on nutrition labels, the 'total carbs' list fiber as a part of them. While in the UK (I believe), the fiber is listed separately.

So in the US/Canada, you might see:

Total carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 5g

But in the UK, you might see:

Carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 10g

https://www.naturalketosis.co.uk/blog/2015/03/what-is-the-difference-between-total-carbs-and-net-carbs
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Keep in mind that in Northern America, on nutrition labels, the 'total carbs' list fiber as a part of them. While in the UK (I believe), the fiber is listed separately.

Total carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 5g

Carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 10g

https://www.naturalketosis.co.uk/blog/2015/03/what-is-the-difference-between-total-carbs-and-net-carbs

But I'm from the Philippines lol
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I just looked up soy milk nutrition , if it's unsweetened, it still has 2 things going against it in my humble opinion.. one, the fat to protein ratio is backwards, two, a cup of soy milk will put you at about 15g carbs. That's pretty close to daily 20g total, 3 cherry tomatoes and you are over, right. So I personally would not use this product. Of course it's way lower carb compared to milk, everything is relative. Have you looked at unsweetened almond milk? It looks better stat wise then soy...And here is another danger in my mind, both of these products are tasteless and bland. Because of the manufacturing process, they may sneak some sweetener in the ingredients. So you must check ingredients too.

Almond milk is not available in my area. Another question, I want to use this desiccated coconut. In the nutritional facts fiber is greater than the carbs so does it mean it has negative carbs? Also, do I have to subtract fiber from carbs?

Ah I saw this before with Chia Seeds. No, its not negative carbs, it just means that the fibre has already been taken out of the carb total.

ETA Generally in Europe and England our fibre has already been taken out of the carb total on the nutritional info on packets. It's just fruit and veg you can take the fibre away.

Can you send a pic of that? I'll try to find it on stores. Thanks
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Total carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 5g

Carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 10g

OK, so you may want to use Google to check to see how your country labels things, lol.
  • Lois_1989
    edited September 2017
    Options

Total carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 5g

Carbs = 10g
    Fiber = 5g

Total net carbs = 10g

So in the UK Fibre is listed separately (Big 'F' on the fibre)

dnneh9srhy0m.jpg

Where as in the US it is listed directly under Carbs

4q7pr2ehg4ca.jpg

You need to have a look on your food labels. If it is like the US you can take the fibre away, if its like the UK you can't, it's already been taken away
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Sorry the US one is a bit big :#
  • Lois_1989
    Options

w6au9kz5d21t.jpg
  • Tsoggo
    Options

w6au9kz5d21t.jpg

Thank you so much
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    No problem! :):+1:
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you guys want some keto recipe watch Remington James YouTube videos on his keto diet meal plans. He tells you every ingredients and the macros in it too as well as how to meal plan everything. I would recommend to follow him on all his YouTube keto videos.

Love Remington he has awesome plans <3
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    Just a thought, can I have a low carb, moderate fat, and high protein diet? So my body fat can be used as ketones. Or it doesn't work that way? I'm pretty fat guy about nearly 30% body fat
  • Tsoggo
    Options
    Plus it's really hard to consume all that fat xD
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    What's the purpose of high protein? It's a building block, not a ready fuel source. Carbs and fat are ready fuel sources. Pick one or the other. Ether low carb or low fat. You don't want to use them together, body uses carbs first and stores the fat. If you low carb and high protein, it will convert protein into sugar. You are not gaining any advantage. As I mentioned before, eating fatty cuts of meat will take care of much fat and all protein. You don't have to worry about protein.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    Beef stir fry In teriyaki 5elza4qohdhy.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What's the purpose of high protein? It's a building block, not a ready fuel source. Carbs and fat are ready fuel sources. Pick one or the other. Ether low carb or low fat. You don't want to use them together, body uses carbs first and stores the fat. If you low carb and high protein, it will convert protein into sugar. You are not gaining any advantage. As I mentioned before, eating fatty cuts of meat will take care of much fat and all protein. You don't have to worry about protein.

Not exactly. You don't have to go either low carb or low fat. You can definitely go anywhere in between. And the body doesn't typically use carbs first, but rather will use either carbs or fats during on activity level. In the case of things like sleeping or sitting (not active), fat becomes the primary source. During levels of increase oxygen needs, glycogen will become the primary energy source. And realistically, if any diet has an advantage, it is a higher protein based diet since it's a thermogenic, it supports muscle maintenance and maintenance of metabolism. In fact, it's advised to get between 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight during weight loss. Of course, what a good amount is, would be dependent on training and leanness. If you train and become leaner, the more protein you need. Too little protein and you will increase muscle loss. And muscle is what makes a person lean.I would agree though, a high protein/low carb/low fat (aka a bro-tein diet) based diet isn't beneficial, but it's not because our bodies will convert it to sugar (which btw, we can convert fats to glucose through glucenogenesis), it's because protein is very metabolically taxing and a terrible energy source. Which is why bodybuilders who follow this old diet struggle with energy levels.

ETA: people feel like crap when going keto isn't due to sugar withdraw, it's from electrolyte imbalances like @nvmomketo suggested.