Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours?

Options

Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It is not necessary, but I think it really depends on your own hunger cues. I eat frequently, smaller meals, because I like it that way and it keeps me from being overly hungry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours for weighg loss..my nuyritionist say if u dont eat every 2 or 3 hours...body forms gas and bloating...is it true

For weight loss you just need a calorie deficit. Meal timing is personal preference and has little to do with gas and bloating I think.

Eating too fast can contribute to gas and bloating as you swallow air.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gas-and-gas-pains/in-depth/gas-and-gas-pains/ART-20044739?pg=1

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't think that sounds right, why eat every 2/3 hours if you aren't hungry?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 130lbs only eating, usually, twice a day. I wouldn't be taking advice from them anymore if I was you. Their information is completely inaccurate.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nope. 35 lbs lost and maintained for 1.5 years while fasting for about 16 hours every day and eating 2 meals a day.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I eat and snack whenever I am hungry I just keep it within my calories for the day that is all you need to do to lose weight.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing that makes me a little embarrassed to tell people that I eat every 2-3 hours. It has nothing to do with optimizing digestion or extra calorie burn or whatever, it's just what keeps me full and under calories for the day. The human digestive system is actually pretty awesome - sure, it can get thrown off by all sorts of things, but it can also adapt to all sorts of things.

Don't be embarrassed - it's what works for you.

Now - you come out spouting advice that it's required for weight loss, with no comment or background as to why it actually works for you better - then prepared to be slammed by many.

Oh for sure, I would never suggest anyone do anything other than what works best for them to keep a deficit. It more comes up when people ask how I've lost weight, which has been happening increasingly often now that I'm down 25+ lbs. If I mention eating frequently I've often gotten this knowing sort of "Ah yes, I heard that boosts the metabolism blah blah" and then I have to make the awkward choice of either addressing the misconception or letting it slide.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Not at all.

Purely personal preference.

Perhaps she is talking about you specifically getting that problem, because that's not true at all in general.

I don't eat all day until 8-11 pm after exercise - no gas or bloating for me.

Unless I eat a carb heavy or only meal or snack. Then yes.
    I do have a little problem with carbs, or rather my insulin response does - eating every 2-3 hrs would be a great way for me to be in a tired state all day long, I'll say that.

You might look up the degrees they have, and if recent.

Ok thnks...each every nutritionist says to eat every 2 hours.

Um. No.

I see one of the top sports med dietitians in the U.S., and that "advice" has never come out of her mouth.

So maybe you're seeing quacks, but that's certainly not "every" nutritionist.

Protip: Stick to the dietitians and not the nutritionists. Anyone can call himself/herself a nutritionist.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    If exercise can be equal to increased mobility then there can be advantages because you are improving circulation posture and other functions particularly if weight loss is not your only goal, if you are wanting a more healthy life style for example.

The essential thing for us all to take into consideration, doing what is right and works for you to achieve your personal goal. Listening to others hearing what they have to say then adopting something you like because you think it may work for you is good, changing what you do is also good if it fails to make a difference over time.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I personally eat every 2-3 hours all day just because that's the best way to keep myself full throughout the day and not over eat during more spread out mealtimes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Is it necessary to eat every 2 or 3 hours for weighg loss..my nuyritionist say if u dont eat every 2 or 3 hours...body forms gas and bloating...is it true

Nope.

I do, but only because I am diabetic and that helps keep my blood sugar more level. I also am more likely to binge if I get too hungry.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat every 3 hours or so because I am hungry and because it keeps my blood sugar levels on an even keel. Everyone is different, talk to a nutritionist.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mgalvin12 wrote: »
    I tend to eat every 3 hours or so because I am hungry and because it keeps my blood sugar levels on an even keel. Everyone is different, talk to a nutritionist.

Better yet, talk to a Registered Dietician. Nutritionists don't have nearly the same education or expertise.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @poonamsonii21
    Is this "nutritionist" part of a weight loss clinic/program you have entered?
    My spidey sense is tingling...