Special occasions make this feel impossible

13»

Replies

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Lots of great tips here! One thing I also try to do is make sure that if I do splurge on something, that it is "worth" the calories. A slice of cake is going to be around 400 calories whether it's from a box cake mix, a chain grocery store or a gourmet bakery, but that bakery cake or scratch-made cake will taste a thousand times better than the box mix cake or grocery store cake that you can have any time. It's a lot easier for me to say no to the "meh" stuff if I give myself permission to splurge on the really special things. Or, I'll splurge on one fruity cocktail if I'm on vacation, then have my usual rum & diet soda for the rest of the evening. But if it's just a couple drinks with friends, I'll probably just have a diet soda because even one or two drinks will sometimes mess up my morning run.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    One day of indulgence isn't going to ruin your weight loss efforts. Sorry but if I'm celebrating something (like a wedding) I'm going to celebrate! That means eating cake and having probably a few too many drinks. Just dust yourself off the next day and get back to work.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I am like this on the weekends with alcohol!!! I just had to put my foot down and turn down the liquor. I have a big social life and every weekend there is something planned with family and/or friends. I had to put an end to it or I will never get to where I want to be.

Last weekend I did very well. Went to dinner on Friday with friends I just had water. Friends and my husband "You're not drinking???" Me "NO! I'm good"

Saturday my cousins bday party. I had diet Pepsi and told everyone it was rum and diet coke! My husband had a sip "I dont taste the rum!" Me "It's there!!!"

So much pressure to drink and socialize. I am so done!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Lemme guess...you're on a 1200 calorie diet...and judging by your picture, you don't really have much if any weight to lose. Are you eating back exercise calories? Move more, eat more...also, determine if your deficit is really appropriate for you...I'm just guessing based on my personal history here and seeing so many ladies just defaulting to 1200 and then doing a bunch of exercise on top.

Beyond that, you should figure out what your actual maintenance is. You can go over and still be in a substantial deficit. Also, you should look at your deficit for the week, not just a singular day. Also, when I was losing I just typically ate maintenance on Saturdays as that's when we have social occasions...some days I ate maintenance all weekend. In the grand scheme of things it was no biggie...I still lost 40 Lbs pretty easily.

• eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Mccloud74 wrote: »
    eyer0ll wrote: »

- drink half the glass of wine

Now go wash your mouth out with soap :smiley:

I know, right? Heresy. Also more easily said than done.
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I am like this on the weekends with alcohol!!! I just had to put my foot down and turn down the liquor. I have a big social life and every weekend there is something planned with family and/or friends. I had to put an end to it or I will never get to where I want to be.

Last weekend I did very well. Went to dinner on Friday with friends I just had water. Friends and my husband "You're not drinking???" Me "NO! I'm good"

Saturday my cousins bday party. I had diet Pepsi and told everyone it was rum and diet coke! My husband had a sip "I dont taste the rum!" Me "It's there!!!"

So much pressure to drink and socialize. I am so done!!!

Yes!!! Most social gatherings in my area (and possibly age group) seem to revolve around drinking. I've learned the hard way that fruity cocktails, margaritas, and hard cider contributed to my weight gain. I've been sticking to no alcohol or a seltzer water with Tito's vodka and lime wedges.

Some people really put on the pressure and I don't understand it. Once a male friend actually asked if I wasn't drinking because I was pregnant (which needless to say I was not lol).
  • cefleischman
    cefleischman Posts: 46 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lemme guess...you're on a 1200 calorie diet...and judging by your picture, you don't really have much if any weight to lose. Are you eating back exercise calories? Move more, eat more...also, determine if your deficit is really appropriate for you...I'm just guessing based on my personal history here and seeing so many ladies just defaulting to 1200 and then doing a bunch of exercise on top.

Beyond that, you should figure out what your actual maintenance is. You can go over and still be in a substantial deficit. Also, you should look at your deficit for the week, not just a singular day. Also, when I was losing I just typically ate maintenance on Saturdays as that's when we have social occasions...some days I ate maintenance all weekend. In the grand scheme of things it was no biggie...I still lost 40 Lbs pretty easily.

I actually couldn't handle only 1,200 calories, so I bumped it up to 1,475 (I think that's the exact number on here? I'm still kind of new to this). I stick around that or sometimes eat around 1,300.

And I gained 15 lbs in a short period of time due to over-eating and not exercising. It's not a lot to lose, but I'm fairly short (5'3") and do not feel or look healthy right now. Plus all of my clothes fit way too tight and I don't want to buy a new wardrobe :/.

I'll move more and I am not eating back my exercises calories. Thanks for the tips!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I always think on this :"a moment in my lips, for ever in my hips." And since I don't need additional inches in my hips, my lips stay close.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2017
    You could run or swim to try to make up for eating a portion of bad food as well. Not the greatest solution but I do that before going out to eat. I also try to eat a small breakfast and lunch as well. Also, remember that it's ok to eat a smallish portion of bad food but if you eat a huge portion that's what's going to get you in trouble in the long run.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    You could run or swim to try to make up for eating a portion of bad food as well. Not the greatest solution but I do that before going out to eat. I also try to eat a small breakfast and lunch as well. Also, remember that it's ok to eat a smallish portion of bad food but if you eat a huge portion that's what's going to get you in trouble in the long run.

What's bad food?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    Also, remember that it's ok to eat a smallish portion of bad food but if you eat a huge portion that's what's going to get you in trouble in the long run.

I seriously implore you to never knowingly eat bad food: just give it to a dog! Canines have the ability to handle spoiled food in a way that humans cannot even come close to matching!
  • Julani34
    Julani34 Posts: 36 Member
    I love this calorie counting way for this exact reason. I can really eat anything. I have burgers with my family on a Friday and French toast on a Sunday morning. I don't feel too badly restricted. If I see I have no more calories left for supper, I'll take the kids for a walk or mow the lawn or something to "work it back" so I can have something for supper. It's awesome.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2017
    What is your calorie goal? It sounds like it might be too low for you ifntou can't fit in a single treat now and then. There are a couple of options.

1) raise your goal and plan to lose weight slower but enjoy the events. Life is short.

2) eat at maintenance on the weekends

3) add some exercise to accommodate for weekends

4) try something like the 5:2 diet but use the caloies not eaten on the 2 days on the weekend, like banking then through the week and using them all at once (try to weight yourself less often as this method causes larger swings in weight even as the trend goes down).

E.g. say you eat 1500 to lose 1 lb a week. 3 weekdays eat 1500 A day. 2 weekdays eat 500 A day. Weekends eat an average of 2500 A day. It balances out to the same weekly amount.

Also maybe play with your macros a bit. You might feel fuller on a diet with the same calories but higher protein or fat or fibre.