Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

School Food Policies

Options
WeepingAngel81
WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
I am in a mom group on facebook, and yesterday there was a post created that had me wondering what other parents here think.

A child refused to eat the healthy snack that was offered to her. The deal was, if you eat your healthy snack, you can have a cookie. She was not given a cookie, and according to the mom posting, she was the only one not given a cookie. The mom the asked for other opinions.

Most of the opinions fell into the "burn her" category, calling the teacher many derogatory names. Many people said that children should have the choice to decide what they want to eat without consequences, and that if they choose a cookie of the fruit or veggie option, it should be allowed. One person said that every child should be given a cookie no matter the circumstance.

What are your thoughts?

According to friends and family, I am the hard *kitten* parent. I am very black and white with my kids not matter the situation. You don't do chores, you don't get to go swimming with your friends. You don't do your homework, you don't get to watch TV. I was one of the few who said that in my house, my kids need to eat the food that will fuel their bodies before eating the fun sugary snack. I do offer both, and am trying to teach my children balance. It is ok to have cookies and ice cream, etc., but you need to eat food that is good for you as well. My kids, like any other kids, will go on a binge when I am not home. If I leave out any "fun" foods, they are gone within 48 hours. I have to hide the fun food, and leave out a fun snack each day for each of them. They know they can eat it at any time, but they better have eaten the veggies I offered with their supper as well. I would have been happy that the school is also teaching my kids the same. I understand that not every kid will like the healthier option given, so I am all for having options, such as carrots and/or celery with peanut butter, or apples and oranges. Then they can decide which option they want in order to also have the cookie. I have one kid who loves green beans, but the other can't stand them, so options are a must! I know what my kids will eat, and I am willing to adjust from there.

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

Children need an overall healthful, varied diet. They do not need to be hounded and punished for eating a single cookie at a single meal.

Which is why I feel that it should be an option with something healthy.

My kids, like any other kids, will go on a binge when I am not home.

Really? that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it? i never binged as a kid, and we always had a well stocked treat cupboard at home. it was only as an adult when i moved out of home that i gained any weight.

Yes, I was making a sweeping generalization. I just figured that if given the option, most kids would eat the chips over the carrot sticks, or the cookies over the apples. Maybe I am wrong there. However, that wasn't the main focus. I am just curious as to how other parents would react and how they handle balancing healthy foods with fun snacks in their own households. Everyone is different, and I am always open to learning something new.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    depends on how old the child was? were they old enough to understand the reasoning behind the consequences of not having the healthy snack (I think there is a difference between doing this with a kindergartender vs. a 3/4th grader)

That's a great question. I agree that there are different ways to teach kids depending on their ages. She didn't mention and I didn't ask.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think the school's laser focus on one snack is misguided. I believe in Ellyn Satter's division of food responsibility when it comes to kids -- the adults are responsible for presenting food options, children are responsible for choosing what and how much they will eat. I think if a "healthy" snack and an "unhealthy" cookie were both on offer, it should have been left to the children to choose. If the school doesn't want kids eating cookies, the school shouldn't offer cookies.

ETA: I also believe using "unhealthy" foods to bribe children into eating "healthy" ones is a bad idea. It gives kids the idea that healthful foods are yucky, and require some sort of reward to be worth eating. And what if the kid isn't hungry enough for two snacks but really wants the cookie? They're likely to overeat (forcing themselves to eat both snacks when only hungry enough for one) in order to get what they truly want. This sets a bad precedent: "Ignore your hunger and satiety cues, kids, because that's the only way you'll ever get a treat."

Children need an overall healthful, varied diet. They do not need to be hounded and punished for eating a single cookie at a single meal.

Pretty much all of this. Also - two items for a snack just seems excessive anyway. I'm also interested in what age group this was, and if it's a daily occurrence or a special occasion.

• WeepingAngel81
    Options
    impyimpyaj wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd be ok with them just not even having the cookies. That's what I would prefer. We don't do the "if you eat this, then you can have this treat" thing around here, because I don't want healthy food to be a means to an end. The healthy food is the goal. The cookie is just for sometimes.

That being said, if that's the rule, I'm totally ok with the teacher following through with it. I don't see it as shaming the child any more than it's shaming a kid to get a bad grade on a test because he didn't study. If you do this, you get this result. If you don't do this, you get a different and unpleasant result. If the teacher stood in front of the class and said, "Oh, look, everyone, Sally isn't getting her cookie because she made a bad choice," then yeah, that's shaming, but just not giving her the cookie isn't shaming. In this case, the child chose not to eat the healthy snack, knowing full well that she wasn't going to get a cookie. That's a valid choice, and frankly, if the kid was upset about it or thought it was unfair, maybe that's a sign that she needs the adults in her life to follow through on boundaries and consequences more often.

From what I understand as I went through the post, there was no direct shaming. She simply didn't get the cookie, and the teacher moved on with whatever else was next on the agenda. Growing up, my parents always had the "if you eat this, then you can have this treat" approach. I am sure my sister and I pushed back on that, but I can't remember to be honest. What I do remember is that one time my mom made an really awful meal. My sister and I were in tears as my dad came home from working a long day. He was already over it lol. I was telling us we needed to eat, as he took his first bite. He swallowed, looked at the two of us, and said "come on girls, we're going to McDonalds" hahaha! My poor mom has never lived that meal down. In general though, I often remember having ice cream after supper with my parents. We would watch whatever family comedy was on that night, and enjoy our treat (or not if we chose not to eat supper).
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options

Which is why I feel that it should be an option with something healthy.

Okay, so what if the kid isn't hungry enough for two snacks? Sorry, kid, no cookie for you -- you just get the apple? That seems pretty harsh, if the cookies have already been offered.

I am saying they should have 2 healthy options such as carrots or apples. Not necessarily carrots or cookie. If they are offered carrot or apple, and then if you are still hungry you can have a cookie, I don't see that as harsh.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My kids, like any other kids, will go on a binge when I am not home.

Really? that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it? i never binged as a kid, and we always had a well stocked treat cupboard at home. it was only as an adult when i moved out of home that i gained any weight.

I think most kids would binge eat treats if they thought there would be no repercussions. I wouldn't have done it as a child either because I know there would have been repercussions. But I wanted to. I wanted to eat the whole jar of cookies and ruin my appetite for dinner. I think it's is fair to say that most kids want to.