Nuts

I've always read that nuts are a healthy snack. What are some of the best nuts for snacking? Peanuts? Cashews? Walnuts?

Replies

• sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    jbanteau wrote: »
    I've always read that nuts are a healthy snack. What are some of the best nuts for snacking? Peanuts? Cashews? Walnuts?

almonds
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Only tree nuts. That would be almonds, walnuts and a few others but peanuts no, and wait for it...a peanut is not a nut.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    Only tree nuts. That would be almonds, walnuts and a few others but peanuts no, and wait for it...a peanut is not a nut.

Legume status aside, why would you say peanuts are not healthy? Like other nuts and legumes, they offer a rich, unique mix of micronutrients, and in fact have a better protein profile than the referenced tree nuts. Is there something in particular that makes them a bad choice compared to the other options?

Not me that woo'd you, BTW.
  • rsclause
    rsclause wrote: »

Legume status aside, why would you say peanuts are not healthy? Like other nuts and legumes, they offer a rich, unique mix of micronutrients, and in fact have a better protein profile than the referenced tree nuts. Is there something in particular that makes them a bad choice compared to the other options?

Not me that woo'd you, BTW.

Not real sure what the reason is regarding peanuts. I just remember a MD on a morning TV news show touting the benefit of having nuts in your diet. Then he added not just any nuts, you want tree nuts. I can't remember if the focus was on diet health or heart health but it stuck with me. I now have walnuts in my oatmeal and almonds for my morning snack. I like the fat I get out of them to make me feel full.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Pistachios!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    OP nuts are high calorie so you need to watch portions for weight control, but here are some good resources if you want facts instead of opinions.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257681/
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/nuts/art-20046635
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    amonds & walnuts are my go to, and seeds... Remember, if it fits in your calories you can eat it. Nut on my friend! :D:D:D:DB)
  • rsclause
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Pistachios!

Its a tree so eat up!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    This is 100 calories of nuts.

W13_3.JPG

Fill up with caution. I don't eat almonds, because, allergic. My go-to nuts are walnuts and peanuts.
  • rsclause
    I was eating snack bars like Nature Valley and such and while they sound healthy I asked myself "do I really need all of this sugar and stuff?" So I switched to just nuts.

I have nothing against peanuts but like pistachios they in natural form can get a little messy. Also got to watch the salt a bit too.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    I agree with the other posts that mention they are high in calories. I usually get the 100 calorie packs, or portion them out when I first get them.

Natural is supposed to be better for you (not sure where I read this)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    I eat all nuts, I just alternate. Most commonly walnuts, cashews, almonds, and pistachios.

I think peanuts are fine, despite being legumes (legumes are generally healthy), but I don't eat them as much just because of personal preference. But the nutritional profile is pretty similar.

Yeah, watch the amounts. Same with seeds, which are also good. I love using pumpkin seeds or pine nuts or crushed almonds or peanuts in stir fries or pasta dishes or on salads, too.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I eat 8 unsalted roasted almonds everyday as my morning snack. Full of protein and easy to carry anywhere.
  • shirgify
    shirgify Posts: 35 Member
    I'll do anything for a hazelnut.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jbanteau wrote: »

I am partial to almonds but I do enjoy all kinds of nuts. Around Christmas, I fill a bowl with a variety of nuts in the shell. There is something calming about the cracking and eating involved.

If I am a bit constipated, a handful of peanuts seems to do the job.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    All nuts are healthy in moderation.
    Walnuts are great for omega 3s, so I usually go for them. I also eat almonds & cashews.
    Sunflower seeds are also supposed to be good for you.