I'm angry

Options
I'm Beth, I'm 39 and I hate food. No really...I do. I don't cook, my husband or my mother does. I'd be fine eating pizza and cereal the rest of my life. They are quick and easy and I have to spend like ZERO prep time to not be hungry.

Of course, my total lack of love or care for food is why I weigh 233 lbs. Well, that and the thyroid cancer that started growing during puberty and was missed until I was like 23 years old but that is besides the point. I'm not angry about that. I'm angry because the more I try to educate myself on getting healthier and losing this weight, the more I'm realizing that my whole life is going to be about food. That absolutely enrages me.

I like exercise. At least I did, until I kept running across the phrase "You can't outrun your fork". Is there even a point to exercise?

I'm not one of those girls who is suicidal because I'm fat, because men make it very clear I'm hot even though I'm fat. Having to pay this much attention to food though...that might push me over the edge. I think I'd rather slit my wrists than make my whole life about food.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    You can improve your diet and still keep it simple. Don't over think it. Find a few more foods that you like and add those to the rotation. It's all about portion size. Sure, health is important and eating nutrient dense food is important but just start small. Make a few changes here and there.

It's true that you can't out work a bad diet but there are lots of other benefits to being active so just do what you enjoy.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Experiment to find a way of eating that keeps you feeling full enough while leaving you with a calorie deficit. Once you find a rhythm, it doesn't take much thought at all.

You don't have to be perfect, just consistent over time. I aim for about 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.

Most of my days go like this:

hot tea
    breakfast sandwich and square of chocolate
    hot tea
    oatmeal
    hot tea
    Lean Cuisine with a whole bag of sauceless steam-in-bag veggies
    hot tea
    Protein/fiber bar with a different flavor of hot tea
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i think you have the wrong perspective but its okay. When its a topic that's been a struggle of course someone's going to be bitter about it.

For you to be able to do this successfully you need support (besides family -- becuase expectations are natural for family members) so join an exercise class at the local gym, join weight watchers...or some sort of thing where support is built in.

Food wise..it's not always going to be about food. In the beginning yes becuase you have to monitor your intake in the beginning. I.e. counting calories, macros etc. weighing yourself. But once you get an idea of what 4 oz. of chicken looks like for example without having to measure it

then you will get to a point where you will prep a meal and know whether or not its too much or too little etc.

• Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Pizza and cereal...sounds like a high-carb kind of person. Like me :) And most vegetarians, really.

As others have said, you don't need to cook fancy meals to lose weight--and you certainly don't have to think about food all the time. Hell, you could lose weight on pizza and cereal--provided you control the portion size to get the right number of calories.

As a long-term solution, incorporating more balance in your diet (healthy fats/proteins) is healthier. But if your first goal is to lose weight, I say stick to as close to your "normal" diet as possible, eat what you normally eat (just less of it), and make one small, non-obsessive change per week. Like drinking more water, or making a chimichanga for dinner or something. (All my dinners cook up in less than fifteen minutes because I.have.no.time. Also, my diary is open...)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    To lose weight all you technically need is a calorie deficit. You can lose weight eating pizza and cereal. You can eat frozen dinners. You can eat rotisserie chicken and frozen broccoli. Just put your stats into mfp, get a calorie goal, and log accurately and consistently. It can take a little practice and might seem time consuming at first, but after awhile it requires very little time and thought.
  • Julani34
    Julani34 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel you, sister. I get what you're going through. There has to be a way to keep doing what you're doing, just smarter. Maybe find a "healthier" low carb pizza with vegetables and resume your exercise cause regardless of whether you outrun your fork or not, it's a great thing worth doing for your health. Good luck ♡
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It actually sounds like you hate cooking, you're OK eating the food others prepare. And I've actually never heard the phrase "you can't put run your fork". I'd argue differently. Weight loss is a calculation of energy in vs energy out. Just make sure you "run" off more energy than you take in with your fork.
    Good luck!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    You're exaggerating how much time and effort you need to spend on food and you're diminishing the role that exercise can play in helping you lose weight. I would say that I spend a grand total of 25 minutes a day preparing food, max. That's hardly a life time.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Once MFP starts to know what you eat regularly, you can enter the first three letters and it usually pops up with your last amount eaten. You can then just click the check mark so long as it's the same amount and done. You can also start copying meals from previous days to the current day. It "learns" what you eat regularly, so it takes a little less time on those particular items.

Also you don't have to cook as others have mentioned. You can eat whatever you want so long as you eat at a deficit. Those convenience foods often time have more calories, so you may find yourself still hungry and will have to work in easy veggies, like carrots and hummus, a handful of almonds, or a banana.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm Beth, I'm 39 and I hate food. No really...I do. I don't cook, my husband or my mother does. I'd be fine eating pizza and cereal the rest of my life. They are quick and easy and I have to spend like ZERO prep time to not be hungry.

Of course, my total lack of love or care for food is why I weigh 233 lbs. Well, that and the thyroid cancer that started growing during puberty and was missed until I was like 23 years old but that is besides the point. I'm not angry about that. I'm angry because the more I try to educate myself on getting healthier and losing this weight, the more I'm realizing that my whole life is going to be about food. That absolutely enrages me.

I like exercise. At least I did, until I kept running across the phrase "You can't outrun your fork". Is there even a point to exercise?

I'm not one of those girls who is suicidal because I'm fat, because men make it very clear I'm hot even though I'm fat. Having to pay this much attention to food though...that might push me over the edge. I think I'd rather slit my wrists than make my whole life about food.

Weight loss is about calories not type of food. You can lose while eating pizza and cereal.
    Figure out the calories for a limited menu and eat the same thing every day. Just get the portion sizes right for your goal.
    Some people would get bored but if you do not care about food it shouldn't bother you to eat the same breakfast every day, same lunch, same dinner and same snacks most days. You are going to have to think about food sometimes but it doesn't have to be all day every day.
    You- or your partner- can cook a large batch of something once a week or month and portion it out to fit your calorie goal. Put the containers in your refrigerator or freezer so you just have to pull one out and not think about it. Your cook can look up once a month cooking, feeding the freezer or meal prepping for ideas of what foods work.
    If that is too much work you could buy frozen meals or shakes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Your whole life will not need to be about food. When you first start trying to eat better (by better I'm referring to both eating a more well rounded diet as well as eating at a more appropriate calorie level) you will need to spend more time than usual thinking about your food choices. But after a relatively short time period, those choices will become quicker to make and you will not need to spend as much deliberate effort on them. As trite as it may sound, it gets better.