Gaining weight on 1400 calories!

Options
So, I restarted my weight loss journey a few months ago and I eat about 1200 calories a day with cheat days and little exercise (I have very low metabolism). Yesterday I did exercise some (body revolution and took a short walk) and ate 1400 and today I gained .6 pounds. Tbh, I only lost 1 pound since April. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing (in grams or oz) ALL solid food on a scale, including packaged food?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    OP, if you don't mind, I'm going to ask some follow up questions to get you a better answer:

Do you log your cheats?
    Why do you say that you have low metabolism?
    What are your stats and maintenance calories?
    How do you measure your calories in? (measuring cups, food scale, etc)
  • Daydreamangel
    Daydreamangel Posts: 122 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I could eat anywhere between 1500 to 2000 on my cheat days (once a week). I don't have a scale.
  • Daydreamangel
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Do you log your cheats? Yes
    Why do you say that you have low metabolism? I always gain when I eat above 1300
    What are your stats and maintenance calories? 5'6, 136 pounds, my maintenance should be 1600 but I'd gain if I eat that much
    How do you measure your calories in? (measuring cups, food scale, etc) Measuring cup
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I could eat anywhere between 1500 to 2000 on my cheat days (once a week). I don't have a scale.

These two things, the cheat day(s) and not having a scale are the issues. The best thing you can do for your logging efforts and success at weight loss is buy a food scale.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You are possibly eating more calories overall if you aren't measuring. Even on your "regular" days.
  • aeloine
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ETA: ^^^^
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I am going to invest in a scale. It might be that I am underestimating my intake.
    Maybe I need to stop my cheat days and see how that goes, I don't want it to wipe out my progress.

This..

the food scale will be the best investment you buy for your weight loss efforts. The cheat days are not weighed so they are most likely more than the 1500-2000 calories you described.
  • NightShadeMary
    NightShadeMary Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I swear by my food scale. I recommend getting one that plugs in v/s running on batteries. The batteries run out really fast, and the one I had before used 9V, so the batteries were more expensive to boot! I think I got mine for ~$30 on Amazon. Scales are awesome, because using measuring cups can be misleading. For example, the oatmeal I eat for breakfast says a serving is 1/2 cup (48g), and that's 190 calories. 48g is actually 1/3 cup plus some extra, so 1/2 cup is more like 250 calories! And that is the norm rather than the exception. I've seen very few foods where the calorie count is lower when using a measuring cup v/s the weight.
  • Daydreamangel
    Options
    What do you guys thinking about eating at night. I have an apple at 9pm every day, is that too late?
  • aeloine
    Options
    What do you guys thinking about eating at night. I have an apple at 9pm every day, is that too late?

There is a perpetuated myth out there that says that if you don't eat after a certain time, you will lose weight. It's a myth, and just a way to encourage people to not snack. Many of us snack after dinner due to boredom or just being at home and around the kitchen.

Get a food scale, log your food ACCURATELY, and you'll see results.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Nothing wrong with a snack at night!!!
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. It comes with a book so I can look up items.
    https://www.amazon.com/Greater-Goods-Nourish-Portions-Nutritional/dp/B00O5U4NDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505333506&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale+with+nutritional+calculator

What activity level setting do you have? I have mine at Sedentary because I have a step tracker that syncs with MFP. With getting over 10k steps per day, the calories earned are about 200-400. If you are eating back exercise calories, and your settings are already set to light activity or more activity, MFP thinks that you are burning more calories than you actually are.

How often do you weigh in? Same time of day? Are you recording Measurements?

Do you have any Non Scale Victories? Clothes fit better, you have more energy, etc.

Also I want to say major Kudos to you for only losing 1lb and still sticking with it for this long. That is amazing! Change things up a bit, redo your settings and make sure that everything is accurate.