Is fruit healthy?

Options
All

I am on a fitness quest since last few weeks and want to know if it's ok to have some fruits in my routine. Might sound like a silly question since ofcourse fruits are considered to be good but I have also seen a lot of negative comments! I would love to know how you all think! Thanks!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Of course.

A diet that is really unbalanced because of so much fruit wouldn't be great, but IMO that's uncommon (and you can avoid it by watching protein and fat and eating vegetables and not overeating).

If you are trying to low carb, you might need to be more limited on how much fruit you eat, but most people don't have to worry about it.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Any health reasons as to why you should avoid it?

Did it grow in nature or was it prepackaged by man?

Yes, fruit is healthy. But like anything, moderation is key.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a whole food for *kitten* sakes...

That said, people can go over-board...too much of anything isn't a good thing. I typically keep my fruit to 1 or 2 servings per day and put a premium on veg...

If you are diabetic or on a low carb diet you are going to have to watch how much fruit you eat due to the sugar content.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you! Dried fruit can be a bit of a calorie bomb, but it's still got plenty of nutrients. Avocado and olives are high-fat and high-calorie, but it's healthy fat.

Basically, to meet your nutritional needs, barring a medical reason to restrict sugar and/or carbs, fruit is excellent. (And note that 'restrict' is not the same as 'eliminate'.) To meet your calorie needs, be aware that some fruits are higher in calories than others, but that definitely does not make them 'unhealthy'. It just means that, as @GlassAngyl pointed out above, moderation is key.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    All

I am on a fitness quest since last few weeks and want to know if it's ok to have some fruits in my routine. Might sound like a silly question since ofcourse fruits are considered to be good but I have also seen a lot of negative comments! I would love to know how you all think! Thanks!

everything in moderation!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a sad world in which we live when this is legitimately asked because of widespread misinformation.

So true.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's a sad world in which we live when this is legitimately asked because of widespread misinformation.

Agree. Trying so hard to be nice and helpful, instead of saying the first thing that popped into my head.

Berries, apples, pineapple, peaches, kiwi, clementines, etc, etc. Oh, so good! (Except you, cantaloupe. You suck.)
  • estherdragonbat
    Options

Agree. Trying so hard to be nice and helpful, instead of saying the first thing that popped into my head.

Berries, apples, pineapple, peaches, kiwi, clementines, etc, etc. Oh, so good! (Except you, cantaloupe. You suck.)

You need to pour a brandy-infused syrup over it and add some chopped mint leaves.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

You need to pour a brandy-infused syrup over it and add some chopped mint leaves.

Hmmm, intriguing. But I really don't like cantaloupe. It would have to completely change the flavor to make me like it.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    Fair enough!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Hmmm, intriguing. But I really don't like cantaloupe. It would have to completely change the flavor to make me like it.

I'm glad someone else hates the taste of cantaloupe. It's disgusting & everyone looks at me weird because I don't like it
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

I'm glad someone else hates the taste of cantaloupe. It's disgusting & everyone looks at me weird because I don't like it

I loathe the stuff. My whole family loves it though. Meh...more for them.
    I feel the same about watermelon.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

And it's in so many fruit cups in restaurants. Yuck. I can't eat a different fruit if cantaloupe has touched it. The flavor transfers.