Role of dietary fat in dieting

Options
My PT has raised the issue of my fat intake being very low. What role does dietary fat play in weight loss? Does it matter that I'm always 1/3 - 1/2 of the macro? Other than satiety.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I did the low fat diet thing for years, it's terribly old fashioned. Once upon a time saturated fats were the bad guy (for everybody) and transfats weren't even on anyones radar.

https://healthyforgood.heart.org/eat-smart/articles/dietary-fats
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm no diet expert, but from what I've read and felt fat helps "lubricate" the body and digestive processes. Healthy fats like avocado, fish, and olive oil help raise your good cholesterol levels and help you become more heart healthy.

Fat also just makes food taste good.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It helps with nutrient absorption. I focus mostly on hitting protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls, which has my carbs close to target and my fat around 1/2 to 2/3rd of MFP's target. So far, I'm noticing no ill effects and I've been here for 10 months. Now, some days, I do come closer to or even (rarely) exceed my fat target, but mostly not. Also, I often hit the base, pre-exercise fat target, but not the adjusted target post-exercise.

According to https://www.bornfitness.com/how-much-fat-should-i-eat/:
    Not only do the fat-filled meals keep you full, they also burn calories. Researchers from Georgia Southern University found that eating a high-protein, high-fat snack increases your resting calorie burn (think of this as your metabolism) for up to 3.5 hours.

Just as important, eating fat has been shown to:

Help protect and run your immune system
    Allow good production of testosterone and estrogen
    Play an essential role with nutrient absorption (think important vitamins like D and E)
    Help all of the cells in your body work as intended
    While each individual is different, a good rule of thumb is that you the higher level of your fat intake will be around .4 to .5 grams per pound of your target body weight. (For example, if you want to weigh 180 pounds, you could eat as much as 90 grams of fat.) The number might initially seem like a lot, but when adjusted for how many calories you should take in per day, it’s exactly right.

For the record? Lately, I've been hitting around 0.4, 0.45 of my target body weight. So, even if I'm below the MFP default, I think I'm okay. I guess, plug your target weight into a calculator, multiply by 0.4 or 0.5 and see?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    My PT has raised the issue of my fat intake being very low. What role does dietary fat play in weight loss? Does it matter that I'm always 1/3 - 1/2 of the macro? Other than satiety.

This is one of those things that probably doesn't matter so much just for fat loss but can be a big deal for health and well being. Fat is good for the hair, skin, and nails (they help you look good). It's good for the joints. Others have covered vitamin absorption. There are some essential fatty acids your body needs. Fats are important for hormone balance and mood.

The guideline I've always seen is .35-.45 grams per pound of body weight, but hopefully someone else will correct me if I have that wrong.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat.

I feel much better on a slightly high fat plan. My fats are commonly at 40-50% of my daily calories, and I've been maintaining my weight for ten years at a BMI of 21.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Besides satiety and the 2 things mentioned above (working with fiber to keep things moving in digestion & fat soluble micros) the most important of all, IMHO, is HORMONES.

#1-All of the steroids form from cholesterols. So the incredibly important Progesterone and all its derivatives (cortisol, testosterone, estrogens)
    #2- The amino acid derivatives that start with tyrosine require protein and fats from foods like nuts, avocados, cheese

Hormones can really impact how you feel. It's worth it to eat enough to keep them in balance.
  • StarBrightStarBright
    Options

This is one of those things that probably doesn't matter so much just for fat loss but can be a big deal for health and well being. Fat is good for the hair, skin, and nails (they help you look good). It's good for the joints. Others have covered vitamin absorption. There are some essential fatty acids your body needs. Fats are important for hormone balance and mood.

The guideline I've always seen is .35-.45 grams per pound of body weight, but hopefully someone else will correct me if I have that wrong.

^ regarding joints. When I get too low with my fat intake my hip joint aches. I up my fat and take fish oil and the joint pain goes away. It is like magic!

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm not avoiding fat for weight loss purposes, I just tend to not like foods that are high in "good" fats and low in sugar. Sugar I could eat all day...

I'll try to build nuts, eggs, oil and butter into my meals.

Only managed to get to 17g of fat today! I'll try harder tomorrow.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    It helps with nutrient absorption. I focus mostly on hitting protein and iron and let the rest fall where it falls, which has my carbs close to target and my fat around 1/2 to 2/3rd of MFP's target. So far, I'm noticing no ill effects and I've been here for 10 months. Now, some days, I do come closer to or even (rarely) exceed my fat target, but mostly not. Also, I often hit the base, pre-exercise fat target, but not the adjusted target post-exercise.

Not only do the fat-filled meals keep you full, they also burn calories. Researchers from Georgia Southern University found that eating a high-protein, high-fat snack increases your resting calorie burn (think of this as your metabolism) for up to 3.5 hours.

Play an essential role with nutrient absorption (think important vitamins like D and E)
    While each individual is different, a good rule of thumb is that you the higher level of your fat intake will be around .4 to .5 grams per pound of your target body weight. (For example, if you want to weigh 180 pounds, you could eat as much as 90 grams of fat.) The number might initially seem like a lot, but when adjusted for how many calories you should take in per day, it’s exactly right.

For the record? Lately, I've been hitting around 0.4, 0.45 of my target body weight. So, even if I'm below the MFP default, I think I'm okay. I guess, plug your target weight into a calculator, multiply by 0.4 or 0.5 and see?

0.4 as a multiplier gives me 54g. I managed 34g today after having some full day yoghurt and some butter on my bread. I guess I'll have to try harder!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    In addition to nutrient transport/absorption and hormonal issues, there's also the little fact that every cell in your body needs fat - the cell membranes are primarily composed of lipids (fats). Google "lipid bilayer".
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I'm not avoiding fat for weight loss purposes, I just tend to not like foods that are high in "good" fats and low in sugar. Sugar I could eat all day...

I'm curious about what your daily food looked like to only have 17g of fat all day? Do you mind sharing what foods you are that day?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

0.4 as a multiplier gives me 54g. I managed 34g today after having some full day yoghurt and some butter on my bread. I guess I'll have to try harder!

That's a step in the right direction A couple of observations from your diary and a question or 2.
    An opportunity to up your fats could come in the milk you choose. You have both skim logged and a skinny latte. Change those to whole or even 2% milk and you will add some.

You show a yogurt that seems low fat? That could be an opportunity to up the fats using a whole yogurt or a 2%. Those 2 changes today would have put you in a good range.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @GrumpyHeadmistress
    Do you like olives? They have fat.

We need fat. Fats and oils provide these functions:
    • Hormone and gene regulation
    • Brain function, including mood
    • Absorption of fat-soluble vitamins: Vitamins A, D, E and K must be consumed with fat to be properly absorbed.
    • Flavor and fullness: Adding fat to foods makes them tastier and more filling.
    http://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-fat-to-eat#section3
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I'm curious about what your daily food looked like to only have 17g of fat all day? Do you mind sharing what foods you are that day?

Sure, diary is open so feel free to have a poke around. If you ignore the yoghurt and butter I had with dinner, that was 17g of dietary fat.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

That's a step in the right direction A couple of observations from your diary and a question or 2.
    An opportunity to up your fats could come in the milk you choose. You have both skim logged and a skinny latte. Change those to whole or even 2% milk and you will add some.

You show a yogurt that seems low fat? That could be an opportunity to up the fats using a whole yogurt or a 2%. Those 2 changes today would have put you in a good range.

Yes I have skimmed milk and fat free yoghurt normally. I bought the yoghurt that I had for dinner especially because it was high in fat.

I'll try skipping to semi-skimmed milk, full fat yoghurt and try eating some nuts and butter. Thanks!