How do you all do it?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else I stay the track by not expecting to stay the track all the time. This is what my life is now, and if I don't bend with what my days throw at me from time to time I'm not being realistically serious about doing it long term. In my opinion, weight loss is much more about learning how to live life while working on my goals instead of the other way around, trying to bend life to fit my goals. Not going to happen. I believe in tweaks, not 180s. At least for myself, someone who is lazy and loves food.

Are you restricting too much or eliminating foods needlessly? You mentioned white bread and processed meat as things that you felt derailed you. You'll serve your diet best if you don't eliminate something unless you feel doing so makes dieting easier, not because someone somewhere said white is bad and processed is evil. I really hope you were just listing foods you overate to illustrate that you overate, and not to point out that you felt derailed because of the kinds of food you overate. Dieting does get easier with time, but it gets even easier when you don't create unrealistic or arbitrary rules for yourself. I just use this litmus test: is this something that has the potential to feel natural to me and I see myself doing long term?

The process meat I said as it is full of sodium and I have high blood pressure and am suppose to not go over 1800mg ish. Same with the chips.

Are low sodium processed meats(is that even a thing) an option? Do you like any other things that scratch the same itch? How do you feel about preparing things that are low sodium but ready to grab and having them in the fridge/pantry? I found that one of the best things I could do to help manage a situation I'm less happy about is by imagining it happening again (because it WILL happen eventually) and prepare things that will help me handle it next time. For example, one problem I had is that I like to nibble on random things from the fridge. All I needed to do was move all the higher calorie items to the back and under other stuff and lower calorie things in the front. I needed to work on my nibbling, but I knew it wouldn't happen overnight, so that was a great way of making it manageable while I continued working on it, instead of going cold turkey and expecting it to work right away.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you have certain "no breaks" foods (basically ones that once you start eating you can't stop) then you need to allow yourself to have them to break the psychological connection. Eat those foods away from the house where you can't eat a bunch. If you like white bread, you can still eat it. Bring a loaf to work and keep it in the break room. Buy a small bag of chips, the ones that are around 150 cals, and enjoy those with your sandwich. You're less likely to binge on those foods if 1. they are already portion controlled or 2. you are eating with other people and are on a limited time schedule.

For other things, ask yourself, "will this help me meet my goals?" If you eat something that is over calorie budget, then acknowledge it and move on. There is no reason to turn a single splurge into an all day affair that will only make yourself feel worse.

It takes a lot of self control, but you can do it. Think through your decisions before you make them. Even just taking an extra 2 minutes to consider what you are about to put in your mouth can help.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Two years in and I still have plenty of bad days. Here are my top tips:
    1. Don't let yourself get too hungry
    2. Plan, plan, plan. Pre-log and packeverything for the next day, then stick with the plan
    3. Have plenty of healthy snacks at the ready (cut veggies, fruit, popcorn, oatmeal packets)
    4. Don't white knuckle it thru a too-large deficit. In the long run, you'll come out ahead if you go slow and steady
    5. Learn great habits along the way
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I prelog my food for the day so I can see that it meets my goals. I don't have to be perfect every day to manage things.

I choose what comes into my home. If I had a health condition and needed to lower my sodium I would probably stop buying those high sodium foods like lunchmeats and chips because if they are in the house I will probably eat them. More cooking from scratch to control the ingredients. I would look for low sodium alternatives where possible and learn to live differently. There is a lot to learn when changing your diet for medical reasons so don't beat yourself up if it takes time.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Given enough time, your body adjusts to whatever lifestyle changes you've done. The hard part is sticking with the changes long enough for the body to adjust. I was on a salt-restriction diet for a few months now (started seriously in mid May) and now I find any high sodium foods to be way too salty to enjoy.
  • AnnJey
    AnnJey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintainance on Saturday's (or a random day of the same week if I have an event). I find it helps since I can look forward to it and know if I have serious cravings for something, I can fulfill it in a couple of days.

But IMO the main thing is your will to lose weight. Anyone can go on the next new diet, but if you're not 100% committed to doing it, you'll fall off eventually. Yeah, you could say "I'll start again tomorrow", or you can say "I don't actually need [food] to survive". Something that has helped me is to wait an hour after I've finished eating. I find that immediately after eating I don't always feel satisfied so before I would go for more, but if I wait around 30 minutes or so, I suddenly start feeling really full. I also use that principle when I'm having cravings; if I still want it hours later then I'll have a little bit of it. But usually I don't want it that long after.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I've been doing this for 6 years (mostly maintenance) and I still screw up. Sure "naturally" skinny people have blow-out days too, that's life. As long as you get back on track it'll be fine, slow and steady and all that.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I live a healthy life for the most part, and I "mess up" every week, I overeat on the weekends and undereat during the week. On purpose.
    You have to find a balance. Some people, including me, like the mental break on the weekend. Some like to be consistent all week long. It's not messing up if you know it's going to happen and plan for it.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I make small changes -- good habits -- and stick to them. I also find it starts in the grocery store. I don't buy chips or ice cream any more -- so I don't have them. When I'm out, it's harder -- I don't control what's served -- but I try to keep in the right headspace. I've gotten this far, don't want to go back. Will I screw up on occasion? Yes. I just try to keep those limited; and things I really want rather than mindless decisions. Then I pick myself back up and get back on track. It's a lifetime marathon, not a sprint.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    First, for the OP, hugs. It's SO hard, I know, and even harder when you get a few days and then screw up. I know exactly what that's like.

Here's a few bits of info that might help, plus what has worked in the past for me...and what I'm using right now, because I screwed up and got off my good diet and am in the same boat (for different reasons, but same boat, basically).

Okay, so first off, it's good to have some 'good' snacks around for whenever you need them. AT home, in the car, in your purse or pocket, whatever.

Then, it is REALLY helpful to notice WHEN you are eating the 'bad' foods. When you are hungry? Stressed or emotionally upset? Relaxed and happy? After work? During work?

If you notice some common themes, that's what you want to guard against with 'good' snacks for yourself. Go and proactively GET the good snacks when the themes are happening. You start to feel hungry, go right for the good snack before the cravings hit. If stress is the trigger, just go start munching when you feel stressed, and so on.

Another big, BIG help is to find food you can have and that you LIKE. This may take a little while (some nutritionists have their clients do this slowly, but you sound like that may not be possible), but basically, start trying out new dishes that meet your food requirements. Whenever you find a 'good' one, add that to your weekly meal plan until you eventually only have safe AND good tasting dishes to eat. It makes it much more likely to stay on the diet if you actually like it, you know?

I go on pinterest for this. If you haven't before, it is SO easy to browse for new recipes there and you get that visual picture right off the bat, so it's nice to browse through. Just put in recipe low sodium (or heart healthy maybe) and maybe an ingredient or two, and you'll likely come up with some good stuff (like this low sodium ranch seasoning mix - https://bakeatmidnite.com/low-sodium-ranch-seasoning-mix/).

And that brings me to another thing that can help - herbs. I would highly recommend starting an herb garden, because throwing in a handful of herbs can make a huge difference in flavor, which is such a big thing with the low sodium, yeah? And having a garden means you can use a lot of herbs without a big cost. :-)

And one last thing...a while back, there was a study on self-control/will. And basically, what was found was that people tend to have, well, kind of a finite level of will power. Everyone is different, but essentially, if you use a lot of will power for one thing, then you have LESS will power left for other things.

Like, if you use your will power in forcing yourself to exercise, you leave less that day for helping you eat right. And vice versa. It applies to anything that involves control, too. Didn't yell at a crummy boss, stayed up late studying, forced yourself to get up early, did a chore you didn't like? All of that takes will power.

So one thing that has helped me is to basically try to lower my 'will power' moments while i was trying to stick to my good diet. Not try to exercise, not try to talk to that one person who drives me nuts, and so on. It's not perfect, but it can help. And KNOWING about the will power, if it's been a day that required a lot of will power, it can help me to remember that it's going to be harder to stick to my diet that day, so I may want to take steps to help myself stay on track, you know?

wishing you good luck!

• Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We all have our "trigger foods" that we just shouldn't eat because we can't stop. For me, it's potato chips, so I just don't buy them anymore. I like salty stuff AND I'm on a low sodium diet too. If you shouldn't have processed lunch meats, then stop buying them. Roast a whole chicken and slice it up for sandwiches or look for low sodium lunch meats. Measuring your portions also helps to make sure you stay within your macros for sodium. If you like chips, eat chips, but buy the low salt or no salt varieties. If that's all you have in the house when the craving hits, then your snacking won't be so damaging to your blood pressure. My other trick is to allow myself one cheat meal each week which includes dessert. Knowing that I have an allowed splurge meal coming up helps me stay on track when I am tempted to eat something I know I shouldn't. The main thing, however, is if you do "mess up", don't beat yourself up about it. Simply log everything you ate and move on. Start over the next day and keep at it. The only way to "do it" is just to keep on doing it, day in and day out.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    First of all - hurray to you for not letting a bumpy day throw you off track. We have them but can't let them defeat us. You are trying to learn from your bumpy day - so please give yourself a pat on the back for that.

I am finding that it gets easier the longer you are at it. At the beginning of this it takes a lot of thought and planning to change the way you eat and your old habits. But once you are more established in the better eating patterns instead of grabbing a few sandwiches you have more items in your repertoire to quickly pull together for a healthier option.

While I hate to grocery shop I am happy that I am the one to do the shopping and cooking because I am just keeping items I don't want to eat out of the house. It's not an option.

Keep at it. It will become more natural.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is not what you are looking for, but:
    You don't know how to keep on track yet, you are still learning. It's like saying you speak French, how do you do it? Practice, accepting correction, memorization, making it fun. Same thing as any other skill. Log good days, during that day where you are out of control eitger log it or don't. (Opinions vary) Then immediately after think, ok what happened and what are concrete steps to not have it happen again? Can't eat high sodium lunchmeat and Pringles if you don't buy them and sub in healthier whole muscle meat and popped rice chips. Did you do this because you hadn't eaten breakfast? Fixable. Didn't plan meals? Totally fixable. Like any other problem, look at what went wrong and tinker your way out. It's not willpower because that's a short term not long term solution for many people. It's practice, correcting, remembering what doesn't work and repetition. In fact, what you are doing now (recognizing the problem and looking for solutions from people who might have applicable answers) is exactly the right move. Now you just need to pick what will help and try it out. You're doing just fine. Dont be so hard on yourself. It burns no calories. :smile:
  • fabulous1690
    fabulous1690 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing a few days ago. Did great for about 5 days then all I could think about was pizza. And of course I didn't just order pizza I went ahead and ordered wedges and spicy wings and garlic bread. It arrived, I sat and enjoyed a slice of pizza and garlic bread and had two spicy wings. The rest as was always my habit I cooled and put in the fridge, again as I always used to. No later had I put it away that guilt hit me. The thought that I had done so well and now gone over. Suddenly the remaining food sitting in the fridge was my enemy. I grew so disheartened with myself that I threw it all out and made myself pay the equivalent amount I had spent on the food to a charity. Needless to say it was a hefty price to pay for one slip but a powerful lesson. There was no need for me to order the extras, I should have just stuck to pizza. But habit didn't even give me a chance to stop and think what I was doing when ordering, purely because this is how I had always ordered. So the next day I picked myself up, dusted myself off decided I wasn't going to beat myself up for it anymore and continued with my new way of eating. Accountable, calorie controlled and no guilt
  • AlexandraWk89
    AlexandraWk89 Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    For me what always worked best was "Sunday fun day is a cooking day" :) Preparing meals for all 5 working days on Sunday. I can't eat porridge so this includes breakfasts, different lunches, dinners and emergency snacks ;) why I got so fat is because being so busy at work I was reaching for quick easy meals without thinking it through as I didn't have time or didn't feel like cooking. I'm back on diet and it's never been easier. Fridge and freezer full of portioned and balanced meals to pick and choose from. This works great for me. Yoghurt, a bit of granola, bananas and apples keep me distracted from cookies constantly available in the office
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I gotta tell you, the hardest part is the beginning. If you stick with it, really stick with it for let's say a month, you'll feel the difference in your body. More energy, less gas/bloating. Then, have an unhealthy meal. In the immediate, it's great but very soon after I feel greasy and bloated and heavy and lethargic. I've really come to differentiate how I feel after a cheat meal and sometimes I'm ok and it tempts me to continue eating crappy but then I do it too soon after and that gross feeling comes back.

Does that mean I don't stress? No freaking way. I still love the bad stuff but I hate the way I feel after eating it too much now.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Because I've seen that it works. Weighing my solid foods and recording diligently is why I've lost over 100lbs over the past 2 years. It's why I'm less than 20lbs from my ultimate goal weight. It's why my 5' tall, 120lb mom and I can share clothes.

Does that mean I log meticulously every single day? Nope. In fact, about one day out of the week I may have a meal that I am incapable of logging with 100% accuracy (dining out, for example) or I have a couple of alcoholic beverages that takes me out of my daily deficit. I still lose weight. Why? According to a macros calculator, my TDEE is around 2192 calories per 24-hour period. In order to lose weight, eating at a 20% deficit would put me around 1700 calories per day. I have my calories set to 1270 and I eat back almost every calorie I estimate that I burn, which puts me in the 1300-1500 calories per day, which allows me to still come in at a 200 calorie a day deficit. That gives me a significant number of calories to fudge in a week and still not gain. That does not mean I give myself permission to totally go off the rails. I don't do cheat days, or even cheat meals. I still log to the best of my ability, but I don't stress myself over the rare occasions that I do not flawlessly keep track.
  • sydneypo
    sydneypo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You keep jumping back in the arena after you fall off the wagon! I've been on a two week break because I've been traveling, stressed at work, lacking sleep... I refuse to live in guilt because I needed a break, I told myself as long as I'm not putting weight back on I'm alright. Friday at 5pm, I'm going for a run so I can get back on track now that other things in life have calmed down. I don't believe in fitness lifestyles that overly structured and exhaustive because to me they are unrealistic with real life. I want to live healthy and feel good but I'm not going to make my gym sessions a higher priority than my husband or family. It's all about finding balance again, again, and again!