Advice on going low carb?

Options
So I've been using MFP off and on for several years. I've struggled with my weight since the birth of my first daughter in 2005, prior to that I weighed 135 lbs. I just had another baby in may and I'm at my heaviest (post baby) at 232 lbs! I know I have a long way to go. I'm pretty sure the best way for me to lose the weight is going low carb..my question is being that I'm 232 lbs and 5 ft 3, what should I be restricting my carbs too? Also should I be counting total carbs or net carbs? Thanks!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what works for you. There's a huge range of low carb from mildly/moderately low (some would call 40-30-30 low--I'd call it moderate--or under 150 g low or lowish) to maybe under 100 g to, of course, keto, which IMO is anything under 50 g net for most people, but some do super-duper low under 20 or even close to none.

What I'd advise (as someone who likes a lowish carb diet and has tried keto and might again) is counting and understanding where you are now and then experimenting with lowering carbs from that.

As for net vs gross, if you aren't in the US or Canada, it's probably the same.

If you are in the US or Canada (I'm in Chicago personally), net is what matters for keto, really. What I do is use gross (because it's easier) if I have a low carb/not keto kind of goal (really I just eat fewer carbs and see where I land, but right now I'm kind of aiming for under 100 g total). When doing keto I do focus on net (but also keep net at around 35 or so, because I personally think vegetables are extremely important and tend to find it hard to go lower and have the vegetables I want).

Hope that helps.

Oh, I should add that people are different -- for me I feel more satisfied doing lower carb but don't need to go very low. I didn't notice a particular benefit for me to keto, although I may try it again. Others find the benefits kick in at a lower level, and others find they hate any degree of low carb and feel better eating a healthy but higher carb diet. So experiment and see. Also, lots will matter besides just carb number.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just had a baby in June , I'm 5'9 and started my weight loss jurney in mid August at about 300 lbs. I'm currently at 278. I did it with the keto diet and exercise. Keto is very low carb.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    you lose fat by restricting calories - not carbs. why not just eat the calories MFP tells you and continue to enjoy yummy carbs?!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    I'm still restricting calories too, not just focusing on the carbs alone..but any other weight loss strategy I have tried in the past like just calorie counting and eating healthier, it didn't work for me. I noticed about a year ago when I got put on metformin and started paying more attention to my sugar and carb intake, I felt a lot better and had more energy, as well as I was noticing my clothes fitting better..but shortly after I found out I was pregnant and all that went out the window lol. I gain weight so easily, and it's SO hard for me to lose it..I feel like this is going to be the best way to go. That applies to maintaining a low carb lifestyle as well. I'm not looking at this as a diet, but changing the way I eat overall so I can be healthy for my kids.

Cutting carbs will automatically cut calories. They go hand in hand. The difference between this diet and others is that with keto you burn fat for energy while producing ketones. Other diets burn carbs for energy. It's not a diet for everyone, but it's worked for me. It's a lifestyle.

Um, no...........low carb was popular in the 1970's as a way of not having to count calories. Back when counting calories was a pain.....you looked up calories in a book and kept track in a notebook. The interntet makes this much easier.

Back then some people would eat unlimited bacon, slather on butter, eat fried chicken, etc......and didn't lose weight. Some people will still need to track calories.

"Other diets burn carbs for energy"....low carb still burns the FOOD that you ingest. People who eat carbs while eating at a deficit aren't storing carbs.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Why low carb? Why not eliminate just bad carbs,or aka junky food. Fruits have carbs but have too many benefits to leave out of your diet. Just pay attention to total calories. Counting carbs and sugar and all that sciency stuff doesn't really work for me. I just try to eat mostly healthy. Truthfully I go over my carbs alot, and sugar, from alllll the fruit I eat, I dont eat too much fat, not on purpose though, I guess I eat the same things. All the time ,but of different flavors or whatever, and I have lost 15lbs in less than two months. But if you want to go low carb, I guess a keto type diet will work.

I agree a bit with this part. Why was it so bad? I try to eliminate junky carbs also.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why low carb? Why not eliminate just bad carbs,or aka junky food. Fruits have carbs but have too many benefits to leave out of your diet. Just pay attention to total calories. Counting carbs and sugar and all that sciency stuff doesn't really work for me. I just try to eat mostly healthy. Truthfully I go over my carbs alot, and sugar, from alllll the fruit I eat, I dont eat too much fat, not on purpose though, I guess I eat the same things. All the time ,but of different flavors or whatever, and I have lost 15lbs in less than two months. But if you want to go low carb, I guess a keto type diet will work.

I agree a bit with this part. Why was it so bad? I try to eliminate junky carbs also.

Because carbohydrates are just carbohydrates. It's true that some foods with carbohydrates are more or less nutrient-dense or more or less calorie-dense than others, but there is no such thing as a "bad" carbohydrate. It's just a macronutrient.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    But there are bad fats and good fats. So I thought.... Anyone else care explain? I really do well when I separate bad carbs and good carbs. Keeps me away from cookies and cake and lets me eat beans. Can this thinking be called something else?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    But there are bad fats and good fats. So I thought.... Anyone else care explain? I really do well when I separate bad carbs and good carbs. Keeps me away from cookies and cake and lets me eat beans. Can this thinking be called something else?

Are you thinking of trans fats? Yeah, the best available evidence is that they aren't good for us. But it doesn't follow that there are automatically good carbohydrate and bad carbohydrates (or good protein and bad protein).

If limiting cookies and cake helps you meet your calorie goals, then it sounds like a good strategy for you. But it doesn't mean that the carbohydrates in cookies and cake are "bad."
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No need to do "low carb" per se, unless you find it easier to count carbs than calories. They're not the same thing, but many people tend to consume fewer calories while going low carb and that's why it's perceived to work.
    Do make sure your carbs are no more than 50% of your total calories (per MFP default recommendation), because you still need fat and protein nutritionally. I've had to cut back on carbs a lot just to keep them at that 50% level.
    I tend to watch my carbs when eating out because bread & pasta can load on excess calories fast. I still eat them, but it's like one roll or one piece of bread and a small portion of pasta, maybe 1/4 of most restaurant portions. The rest gets left behind or taken home for more meals.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2017
    Options

Cookies and cake are not "carbs." They are half carb, half fat.

Beans are more nutrient dense than cookies and cake, of course, and lower cal (depending on how much you consume, of course) and (for me) more filling. They make more sense as part of a meal, whereas cookies and cake aren't really a meal, they are a treat food that one will eat more rarely than staple foods, presumably.

Cookies and cakes are high in sat fat and refined carbs, but I wouldn't call everything that has sugar (fruit) or refined flour (pasta -- which can be eaten with lean meat, vegetables, and olive oil) "bad carbs." Nor would I call everything with sat fat unhealthy, although I do limit it and more actively try to get in other sources of fat.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Anyway, OP obviously doesn't need to go low carb to lose, but she seems interested in trying it, and she said:
    I noticed about a year ago when I got put on metformin and started paying more attention to my sugar and carb intake, I felt a lot better and had more energy, as well as I was noticing my clothes fitting better..

Thus, likely she's IR or T2D. Lots of people who are IR (and some who aren't, like me), find that eating a diet higher in protein and fat and somewhat lower in carbs (even carbs I personally consider perfectly healthy, like potatoes and sweet potatoes and grains, as well as added sugar) can make a calorie deficit easier. So if she's interested, it's worth trying, IMO (and my opinion doesn't matter anyway, obviously).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    So I've been using MFP off and on for several years. I've struggled with my weight since the birth of my first daughter in 2005, prior to that I weighed 135 lbs. I just had another baby in may and I'm at my heaviest (post baby) at 232 lbs! I know I have a long way to go. I'm pretty sure the best way for me to lose the weight is going low carb..my question is being that I'm 232 lbs and 5 ft 3, what should I be restricting my carbs too? Also should I be counting total carbs or net carbs? Thanks!

I'm not low carb, but I believe the key is finding the level where you can comfortably eat the right amount of calories and not be hungry all the time. I've heard here that anything under 150g is technically "low carb", though I think most people who are actively trying to do low carb are under 100g. Keto is more specific obviously.

Good luck!