How does all this calorie counting work??

Options

Replies

• nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My fitnesspal counter gave me 1800 but I want to drop weight and since I work out, calorie in and calorie out...so I chose to lower my intake. I'm lost lol

Then you should eat 1800. Faster does NOT equal better in this game.

In fact, if the more you exercise, the more you should eat.

I exercise every day both cardio and strength training. I started out cutting carbs, which cut calories significantly, it also suppresses my appitite. So how do I get more calories if I'm just not hungry?

Ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate... I could go on.

I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option

Sure it is.

But not if you want to do use ketosis as your means. I eat ice cream on occasion. I eat chocolate chip cookies just about every day. I'm 50 pounds in 7 months. As long as eat less than I burn, over time, I lose weight.

It's thermodynamics in action.

I'm doing very low carb so it's won't work. Don't get me wrong though, I love me some ice cream
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My fitnesspal counter gave me 1800 but I want to drop weight and since I work out, calorie in and calorie out...so I chose to lower my intake. I'm lost lol

I exercise every day both cardio and strength training. I started out cutting carbs, which cut calories significantly, it also suppresses my appitite. So how do I get more calories if I'm just not hungry?

I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option

If you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight even if you're eating some ice cream.
  • nicci288693
    Options

If your carbohydrate restriction leaves you with so little appetite that you can't consume the calories you need to support your activity, it may not be the right plan for you.

Thank you. I'm doing keto and I started out not counting calories, but figured maybe it would help. I feel great and have lots of energy. I don't feel like I'm under eating, but maybe :)

Don't necessarily go by "feeling energetic". If you are eating at too big of a deficit, the effects (bad ones) don't come initially. That's part of the reason weighing and measuring are preached so much here. It's better to know than to feel when it comes to this.

Go keto if you like. It works based on a calorie deficit. Workout however much you want to be fit. Lose weight moderately based on deficit. Eat enough to fuel your needs. Without even looking at a TDEE calculator, I am betting 1500 (at 278 lbs and exercise) isn't near enough.

I think I'll bump it back up to 1800
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I'm obese too, and have lost 70lbs. I eat ice cream like... 5+ nights a week. Some times "diet" ones like Skinny Cow and Halo top. Usually regular. Sometimes, gourmet from an ice cream shop.
  • nicci288693
    Options

I'm obese too, and have lost 70lbs. I eat ice cream like... 5+ nights a week. Some times "diet" ones like Skinny Cow and Halo top. Usually regular. Sometimes, gourmet from an ice cream shop.

Do mind telling me your diet plan? What do you eat and what are your restrictions?
  • nicci288693
    Options

If you're in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight even if you're eating some ice cream.

I'm low carb low calorie though, ice cream is high carb high sugar
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Sure it is.

But not if you want to do use ketosis as your means. I eat ice cream on occasion. I eat chocolate chip cookies just about every day. I'm 50 pounds in 7 months. As long as eat less than I burn, over time, I lose weight.

I'm doing very low carb so it's won't work. Don't get me wrong though, I love me some ice cream

Not trying to talk you out of keto....it works. But it works by energy balance, just like any other plan. I understand you can't do ice cream if you are doing keto.

Now...lots of peanut butter brands have sugar, so if you are eating that, you should be aware of it and planning accordingly.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm low carb low calorie though, ice cream is high carb high sugar

I get that, I'm just pointing out that you wanting to lose 80 pounds doesn't mean it isn't an option. If you don't want ice cream, find some calorie-dense foods that fit into your restrictions.
  • nicci288693
    Options

Sure it is.

Not trying to talk you out of keto....it works. But it works by energy balance, just like any other plan. I understand you can't do ice cream if you are doing keto.

Now...lots of peanut butter brands have sugar, so if you are eating that, you should be aware of it and planning accordingly.

I don't eat much, I'll eat it on an apple every once in a while. Both are higher on carbs, so not often. I'd rather eat sugar through my peanut butter and apple intake, than with junk food like ice cream. Props to those who can get away with eating ice cream though, I just can't.
  • ashliedelgado
    Options

Do mind telling me your diet plan? What do you eat and what are your restrictions?

Like you will hear from many - I eat what I want with in my calories. If I can't weigh (or am too lazy, which has been the case lately), I estimate the best I can. I try to move for at least 30 minutes 3x a week, but I really aim for 5.

I have found success with waiting to eat anything until after 12pm because I tend to be a volume eater. Also to combat that, I try and drink a lot of water throughout the day and right before meal time, and will try and eat a hefty salad with at least one of my main meals.
  • nicci288693
    Options

Like you will hear from many - I eat what I want with in my calories. If I can't weigh (or am too lazy, which has been the case lately), I estimate the best I can. I try to move for at least 30 minutes 3x a week, but I really aim for 5.

I have found success with waiting to eat anything until after 12pm because I tend to be a volume eater. Also to combat that, I try and drink a lot of water throughout the day and right before meal time, and will try and eat a hefty salad with at least one of my main meals.

So you do intermittent fasting also or just not eating until 12? I'm trying intermittent fasting and it seems to work.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    OP, if you haven't, I highly recommend reading the stickied threads in the weight loss board. They will answer many of the questions you have asked here and in other threads. They discuss how mfp works, low carb, keto, IF, etc. and are a wealth of information.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

The calorie amount MFP computes for you takes into account the rate at which you've said you want to lose weight. Particularly if you've said you want to lose 2 lbs/week, it's unwise to eat less than it recommends.

Don't worry about restricting macros like carbohydrates. For one thing, if you're going to be exercising you'll need carbs for fuel. For another, when it comes to weight loss calories are calories. Unless you have some kind of diagnosed metabolic disorder, as long as you're getting enough nutrition there's no need to further restrict your diet.
  • nicci288693
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

The calorie amount MFP computes for you takes into account the rate at which you've said you want to lose weight. Particularly if you've said you want to lose 2 lbs/week, it's unwise to eat less than it recommends.

Don't worry about restricting macros like carbohydrates. For one thing, if you're going to be exercising you'll need carbs for fuel. For another, when it comes to weight loss calories are calories. Unless you have some kind of diagnosed metabolic disorder, as long as you're getting enough nutrition there's no need to further restrict your diet.

Keto diet restricts carbs significantly, which is the diet plan I follow
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    [quote=I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option[/quote]

I cringe that you think you can't have treats. Eat within your calorie limit and find room for treats. Losing weight is hard enough without enjoying the finer things in life. :-) Live by the 80/20 rule and you'll find losing weight a whole lot easier. I have lost 50 pounds and you can look at my diary and see that I still have chocolate bars/ice cream etc.
  • nicci288693
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »
    [quote=I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option

I cringe that you think you can't have treats. Eat within your calorie limit and find room for treats. Losing weight is hard enough without enjoying the finer things in life. :-) Live by the 80/20 rule and you'll find losing weight a whole lot easier. I have lost 50 pounds and you can look at my diary and see that I still have chocolate bars/ice cream etc. [/quote]

What is 80/20?
  • ashliedelgado
    Options

So you do intermittent fasting also or just not eating until 12? I'm trying intermittent fasting and it seems to work.

Its not so rigid and scheduled as IF can be. I usually eat after 12, but I don't tend to structure when I stop eating. Sometimes I'm hungry and eat sooner. It all boils down to how many calories for weight management. How you get there doesn't really matter.
  • ashliedelgado
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »
    [quote=I eat peanut butter :) I'm obese and want to lose 80 pounds, so ice cream is not an option

I cringe that you think you can't have treats. Eat within your calorie limit and find room for treats. Losing weight is hard enough without enjoying the finer things in life. :-) Live by the 80/20 rule and you'll find losing weight a whole lot easier. I have lost 50 pounds and you can look at my diary and see that I still have chocolate bars/ice cream etc.

What is 80/20?[/quote]

80% of foods are what most would identify as healthy - fruits, veggies, lean proteins, whole grains, etc. 20% are "fun". Ice cream, lol.
  • nicci288693
    Options

Its not so rigid and scheduled as IF can be. I usually eat after 12, but I don't tend to structure when I stop eating. Sometimes I'm hungry and eat sooner. It all boils down to how many calories for weight management. How you get there doesn't really matter.

:)