Advice on going low carb?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    I'm still restricting calories too, not just focusing on the carbs alone..but any other weight loss strategy I have tried in the past like just calorie counting and eating healthier, it didn't work for me. I noticed about a year ago when I got put on metformin and started paying more attention to my sugar and carb intake, I felt a lot better and had more energy, as well as I was noticing my clothes fitting better..but shortly after I found out I was pregnant and all that went out the window lol. I gain weight so easily, and it's SO hard for me to lose it..I feel like this is going to be the best way to go. That applies to maintaining a low carb lifestyle as well. I'm not looking at this as a diet, but changing the way I eat overall so I can be healthy for my kids.

Just start replacing carbs with fats and when you eat carbs make sure you get fibrous ones..

The only diets that really require more attention is keto and plant based.

If you notice cramping or headaches, than increase sodium intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AreneeS22 wrote: »
    I'm still restricting calories too, not just focusing on the carbs alone..but any other weight loss strategy I have tried in the past like just calorie counting and eating healthier, it didn't work for me. I noticed about a year ago when I got put on metformin and started paying more attention to my sugar and carb intake, I felt a lot better and had more energy, as well as I was noticing my clothes fitting better..but shortly after I found out I was pregnant and all that went out the window lol. I gain weight so easily, and it's SO hard for me to lose it..I feel like this is going to be the best way to go. That applies to maintaining a low carb lifestyle as well. I'm not looking at this as a diet, but changing the way I eat overall so I can be healthy for my kids.

Cutting carbs will automatically cut calories. They go hand in hand. The difference between this diet and others is that with keto you burn fat for energy while producing ketones. Other diets burn carbs for energy. It's not a diet for everyone, but it's worked for me. It's a lifestyle.

Its true that fat oxidation vs carb oxidation is higher while following keto, but that is because you store more fat and less carbs. Substrate utilization doesnt mean much for the average person... it means something for endurance athletes and at the point carbs > all.

And i cut fats when i diet because i ca eat endless amounts of fats and not fill full. How do i know? Because i literally have eaten a block of cheese.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, then eating a lower carbohydrate diet is a good idea. How low depends on what you are able to maintain over the long term. I've done Atkins successfully, but couldn't maintain the weight loss because I love carbs and don't especially care about fat and a lot of meat. When trying to lose weight, I'd end up with at least one cheat meal each week, just to get some of my favorite carbs. However, losing weight with low carb and maintaining with lower calories did work for me.
  • HoustonStrongMT
    HoustonStrongMT Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking low carb, I would suggest thinking whole food and food as fuel instead. What I mean by this is eat food as close to its natural form as possible and get rid of the processed stuff that isn't going to make you feel full. I don't have any problems eating a sweet potato for example which is technically higher carb but great for you, or pretty much any fruit, egetables, even white potatoes, meats, nuts, healthy fats, etc. I would do that but not bread, I personally avoid grains, not processed low cal desserts, not empty calorie WW meals that will make you feel hungry again in an hour. That's what has worked for me. I follow a paleo type diet (there is a lot of room in there for individuality).
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would start off with 150g a day and see how you go. That way you can still get in fruit, veg and small portions of rice, potato etc. I aim for between 100g-150g. On a general day I can have full fat yogurt and fruit (oats if I feel like it) for breakfast, some sort of salad for lunch, and normal dinner. Anything from sausage and mash, to a roast, to tacos. If you start low-carb in the mornings, you know where you stand for dinner.
    When you feel like it you could lower to 100g, then 70g, then keto (under 50g) if you feel its for you.

Really its just another way of re-distributing your calories. As long as you are still in a calorie deficit you're golden.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @komm That is a great explanation. Deprivation and restriction will cause cravings. Makes sense. On the flip side, seeing a donut as a bad carb really and truly helps me stay away. If, and only if, I think of it as bad for my health. If I see it simply as a treat that I can't have, I will crave it.
    So I now understand. Classifying carbs as good/bad is not a good idea for most. I'm at a point that I'm looking into good foods vs bad foods and learning.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    edited September 2017
    Options
    3) I have never found whey to cause hunger/cravings for food. If cutting out all dairy, make sure to keep an eye on calcium.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @komm That is a great explanation. Deprivation and restriction will cause cravings. Makes sense. On the flip side, seeing a donut as a bad carb really and truly helps me stay away. If, and only if, I think of it as bad for my health. If I see it simply as a treat that I can't have, I will crave it.
    So I now understand. Classifying carbs as good/bad is not a good idea for most. I'm at a point that I'm looking into good foods vs bad foods and learning.
    Learning is exhausting and exciting, often in jumps, often by unlearning, never in straight lines, even if we like to think of it as such. I started out this time well armed with ideas of sugar addiction and good food/bad food, and it helped me gain traction. But I was also exposed to new ideas that challenged my beliefs. Investigating and implementing them was scary and liberating at once.

People (me too) will tend to be impatient or others' behalf, but you have to do this at your own pace. Bits and pieces fall into place when we are ready. (I tend to google terms, and one thing leads to another.) What can help you, could be to look for ways to embrace a mindset of abundance instead of scarcity - think of foods to help you improve your health instead of foods to avoid to not destroy it. (BTW, a donut is not bad for your health. A diet made up of nothing but donuts is bad for your health, but that's not something you'd really attempt, is it? Oh, and donuts are more fat than carbs, too.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, it's like tilting at a windmill, but I still don't get why a doughnut is a "carb," bad or good. It HAS carbs, but it also has fat.

For example: Krispy Kreme glazed, 190 cal -- 44% carbs, 50% fat, 6% protein.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    3) I have never found whey to cause hunger/cravings for food. If cutting out all dairy, make sure to keep an eye on calcium.

I'm not sure that cutting out dairy is wise. Considering you are replacing carbs with fat and dairy is one of the main sources of fat that limits you down to, nuts/seeds, olive/coconut oil, oily fish aaaannnnnd.... avocados...... olives..... :# I can't think of any more healthy fats...
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I know, I know, it's like tilting at a windmill, but I still don't get why a doughnut is a "carb," bad or good. It HAS carbs, but it also has fat.

For example: Krispy Kreme glazed, 190 cal -- 44% carbs, 50% fat, 6% protein.

:hushed: FINALLY a reason to buy krispy kreme!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Options
    ....maybe not an entire box of cereal. MFP shows a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch at 5,850 calories.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ....maybe not an entire box of cereal. MFP shows a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch at 5,850 calories.

I think that's with milk. The smaller box should be no more than 2000.
  • kokonani
    Options
    Looked it up, sorry. 130 cal per serving and there's like 11 servings in a box. That's only 1430 calories for the entire box. Without milk that is. With skin it's 170 total times 11. So yes, I could have an entire box and be under.
  • kokonani
    Options
    With "skim", not "skin"
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You could boil the milk.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I guess I do a little bit of a different twist to this. My nutrition goals to complement my fitness goals while reducing body fat are very specific. I look at it as a budget. So, if I spend that amount of calories on a donut, will I have enough left in my budget to hit my other goals. Like protein, fiber, fats etc. If yes, eat. If no, don't eat. I also try to stay focused on foods with high nutritional value but not always 100% of the time. Kinda 80/20.

OP, if you are using Metaformin then you have blood sugar issues? If so, low carb/ keto can help with insulin sensitivity and that may benefit you. Also, Intermittent Fasting can help with insulin sensitivity.

PS: On the issue of Whey causing issues mentioned in the 5 bullet point post above, I have never experienced that in years of using it to supplement protein intake when weight training. Nor have I ever see a study that indicated that. If there is any objective study information that indicates that, I'd say post it. In the absence of that, I would consider that anecdotal woo.