40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »
    @QuikDogs I lift heavy things too. I firmly believe that the word "cardio" is spanish. The only reason I would ever run is if I'm being chased by a bear.

Or, run to the donut shop. Then walk home? :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, @QuikDogs - there are few folks on here that lift. Welcome!

Went to an exercise class yesterday. Why do I do that to myself?! Ugh. I despise them. Anyway, did full body blast interval work. I was sweatin' at the end, but am sure I would have enjoyed a 45 minute run much more.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

I was doing Stronglifts, but once I started back to school and slowly increasing my running mileage, I was starting to get exhausted. I know I need to strength train, but I'm still trying to figure out how to balance it all.

I ran my 2.8 miles on Tuesday, and today I did my 5 mile run. I decided not to up my mileage this week and add another day. I was still stuck on my C25K schedule of running three days a week, but having two rest days in a row wasn't working for me anymore. I'm adding my fourth run before work on Sundays, so my rest days are now Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Maybe one day I'll add another day, but that day isn't here yet, lol!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    navygrrl wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome!

I was doing Stronglifts, but once I started back to school and slowly increasing my running mileage, I was starting to get exhausted. I know I need to strength train, but I'm still trying to figure out how to balance it all.

I ran my 2.8 miles on Tuesday, and today I did my 5 mile run. I decided not to up my mileage this week and add another day. I was still stuck on my C25K schedule of running three days a week, but having two rest days in a row wasn't working for me anymore. I'm adding my fourth run before work on Sundays, so my rest days are now Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Maybe one day I'll add another day, but that day isn't here yet, lol!

Welcome aboard!

I do Stronglifts on M/W/F and run/bike/swim T/Th/Sat. I've been on this schedule for about 6 months now and it's working well.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Slowly but surely we are getting back to normal here after Irma. Well, as normal as we can be. This is Florida after all!

I had to go to the 5:20 AM CG class yesterday. My regular class time isn't back up and running yet. I am not a morning person but I really wanted the workout. It was good and challenging! Did a little kayaking yesterday as well and a ridiculously slow run today. I think I'm starting to feel the effects of all the stress and lack of sleep from this past week.

I'm back to work tonight so no early morning class for me tomorrow. I may have to pull out a Beachbody workout instead.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and well wishes during the storm. Keep praying please. We still have a lot of people without power, and way too many house and apartment fires when the power is restored. Be safe everyone.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    @sdereski You do that to yourself because in the end you know that cross training makes you a better runner and keeps you injury free!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Greetings kids, Welcome newbies. BettyM1017, I am glad you are still moving right along. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Your resilience through this difficult time is an attestation to your strength. Big hug to you. Hot Pilates yesterday and TRX and full body weights this morning. Gam3rguy, thanks for the info on the Pliyo series. I am seriously considering it. Have a great day everyone.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    @3furballs Welcome Back! It has been a while since we've seen you! I miss your update. Nice job changing things up and keeping it interesting! And nice job on the weight maintenance. It isn't easy at our age but your strength training really helps! Keep it up. Can't wait to read more!
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Welcome to new kids @navygrrl and @hartlandmom.
    @BettyM1017 - So glad to hear all ok with you!
    @__TMac__ Love it when you say the "t" word, even if its low key. ;)

My wife and I are just back from a 5 day trip to Lake Placid, NY for an IM race and vacation. It was a great time. We stayed right on Main street, overlooking the swim course on Mirror Lake. The town was full of athletes and their families this weekend, so the shops, hotels and restaurants all ran race weekend promos and Ironman banners were everywhere you looked. Since Montreal is less than two hours north of LP, there were many Canadians racing, but I also met participants from Europe and South America.

The Lake Placid Ironman course is both very difficult and very scenic. The race was held on Sunday and started at 7am with a rolling swim start. It took about one hour to get all 2600 athletes into the water. The cold early morning weather and the significant climbing required on the bike and run course were a real test, and took quite a few people out of the race. The trick was to stay warm during the cold swim (air temp 38 degrees, water 62 degrees at race time) then dry off and put on windproof layers to cover skin and avoid hypothermia from riding a bike in cold weather. Once through the steep descent and rolling back stretch, most riders then shed layers as the temps rose and the heavy climbing started during the last 20 miles heading back into town. Finally, the run course was an out and back route, with two significant climbs on the return trip, the first one by the Olympic Ski Jump site and the second one a steep grade at mile 11, just as you came into town. That one was tough and most people, including me, walked most of it. The only help came from the significant crowds cheering as runners approached town and headed towards the Olympic speed skating oval and the finish line.

Regarding my race results, I finished in 6:32:04, placing me 14th in the men's 60-64 age group. The conditions caused a high percentage of DNS/DNF's, since there were 73 registered and only 49 finishers in my age group.
    My 1.2 mile swim split was fairly soft at 45 min, my 56 mile bike split of 3:16:00 was solid (this included a 5 min stop to strip clothing, etc.) and my half marathon run split of 2:17:48 was fair at best, (10:20 pace) but it was all I could manage on Sunday. Overall, I'm happy with my finish and learned a lot about the course. I'll use that information to train, since I'm registered for the full IM race there next July. (two loops of each segment)

Finally, we spent Monday hiking, since the area is famous for the 46 High Peaks that surround the town. We climbed Cascade Mountain, which was a bit more challenging than I needed, but the summit had some spectacular views.

Here are a few pictures. The first is the Olympic Oval on Saturday showing bikes set up in transition. Second is the temp shown on phone at 5:30am on Sunday, as we prepared for the swim. The other transition area shot showed how it looked on race morning in 5:30am darkness as athletes donned wetsuits and prepared to race. Finally, a few other shots showing the bike and the hike.

Stay Cool, Kids.

Awesome race results! Serious respect! I have lived in Florida for the last 18 years. Running in those temperatures would be bad enough but swimming?! You're amazing! Thanks for the pictures and the inspiration.
  • QuikDogs
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    @QuikDogs I did weightlifting for two years but recently went over to crossfit. I still do 2 weight training sessions a week plus 1 crossfit lifting session.

Respect to you! Crossfit scares me and I hate reps. I'm a true powerlifter! I don't know why I thought weightlifting would be fun to try. omg it is SO technically difficult, and I'm kind of a klutz so that doesn't help. I have a great coach, he's very encouraging, but it's hard not to be discouraged a lot.

Tonight is deadlift night though. That always makes me happy. Can't wait!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    QuikDogs wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    @QuikDogs I did weightlifting for two years but recently went over to crossfit. I still do 2 weight training sessions a week plus 1 crossfit lifting session.

Respect to you! Crossfit scares me and I hate reps. I'm a true powerlifter! I don't know why I thought weightlifting would be fun to try. omg it is SO technically difficult, and I'm kind of a klutz so that doesn't help. I have a great coach, he's very encouraging, but it's hard not to be discouraged a lot.

Tonight is deadlift night though. That always makes me happy. Can't wait!

lolI t really isnt that bad. I'm in the basics goup so it is much easier than normal crossfit. I go to the weightlifting class once a week though. We did an hou session last night and did exactly 2 types of lifts lol There is a LOT of emphasis on form so each lift gets broken down into smaller components that are fist practiced seperately with just the ba, then together with the bar and then when your form is ok you can add weights. In the last 2 weeks I've leaned a lot of where my weaknesses are in lifting.

Also, the crossfit helps with flexibility and stamina which helps with the weightlifting :)

Yeah I love deadlifts as well :) So how did the session go?
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Beta: Dynamic Core & Core Speed"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday kids. Quikdog, how long have you been powerlifting? I really have interest but finding a place that is a challenge. Each class I have taken gains momentum and then fizzles out. Full body lifting done. Have a great weekend kids.
  • QuikDogs
    Options

lolI t really isnt that bad. I'm in the basics goup so it is much easier than normal crossfit. I go to the weightlifting class once a week though. We did an hou session last night and did exactly 2 types of lifts lol There is a LOT of emphasis on form so each lift gets broken down into smaller components that are fist practiced seperately with just the ba, then together with the bar and then when your form is ok you can add weights. In the last 2 weeks I've leaned a lot of where my weaknesses are in lifting.

Also, the crossfit helps with flexibility and stamina which helps with the weightlifting :)

Yeah I love deadlifts as well :) So how did the session go?[/quote]

It was great to finally get back to lifting heavy (a little heavy!). I kept it pretty chill, working up to 100kg, 3 sets of 3. Coach was watching the last set, his comment was raised eyebrows+whooo. That's good btw. Coach doesn't always say much.
  • kappachino10
    kappachino10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I would love to join! I'm a 46 yr old night nurse who has been yoyoing for years
  • QuikDogs
    Options
    Happy Friday kids. Quikdog, how long have you been powerlifting? I really have interest but finding a place that is a challenge. Each class I have taken gains momentum and then fizzles out. Full body lifting done. Have a great weekend kids.

It can be hard to find a class. Heavy lifts mean a lot of liability for a personal trainer, so I don't blame them for avoiding it. Lots of powerlifters just garage-gym it, and the ones that are more competitive will have a coach (often remote) write a program for them.

I'm lucky in that where I live, lifting is very very mainstream. And it still took me a looong time to find the right fit. I spent 3 years lifting in a globo-gym with an awesome trainer who wasn't afraid to hand me a loaded barbell.

Then about a year ago, I moved to a more hard core type place, they do MMA/Boxer conditioning, powerlifting, and Olympic weightlifting. No Crossfit! :) But I only found out about the place by word-of-internet, in a Facebook group for athletes/diet. It was pretty random. I wanted to try weightlifting as well as continuing powerlifting. I'm having a blast.

Even more random was that my coach was willing to take on someone like me. I appreciate the challenges of being almost 60 and working out with 20 somethings. Weightlifters have great skill but are not always very strong. Powerlifters ARE strong, so it makes my little cruel heart warm when I can kick their *kitten*.

If you are really interested in powerlifting, message me where you live, maybe I can find someplace or someone. Really, what you need is a coach or a lifting buddy who knows how to teach you, and a place to train that has decent equipment (real barbells, plates, and squat racks at a minimum). Then you start to set some records, you can move up to a higher level coach.

BTW, UPS just delivered my new 55lb bumper plates. I am so excited! They are beautiful!
  • mom2teebee
    mom2teebee Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm Tracie. I'm a 41 y/o SAHM of 2. I recomitted myself last week to losing weight.

I'm 5'3, SW: 226.8, CW: 222.6.

For the first 2 weeks, I'm just focusing on basic goals and easing myself into things. I'm drinking at least 6 cups of water a day and getting in 5000 steps. And of course logging all of my food. I did well the first week. I'm planning on adding in light exercise next week.
  • kappachino10
    kappachino10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Karen and a 46 yr old night nurse and nan to Harry who's 4 and the light of my life
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    QuikDogs wrote: »

Yeah I love deadlifts as well :) So how did the session go?

It was great to finally get back to lifting heavy (a little heavy!). I kept it pretty chill, working up to 100kg, 3 sets of 3. Coach was watching the last set, his comment was raised eyebrows+whooo. That's good btw. Coach doesn't always say much.
    [/quote]

Awesome :) Well done.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Ran a few miles before work today, and tomorrow I'm adding in an extra running day. I don't have a real day off from work or school until a week from Tuesday, so I'm a little grumpy.