Calories in calories out is it that simple?

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Surely everyone knows at least one person who lives on take away/ready meals/junk food and absolutely refuses to eat a single solitary fruit or vegetable!

I do not currently know anyone like this, no. I am aware that people who eat few vegetables and fruits exist, of course, but in my social circle eating well seems to be normal. I am here talking about friends and family who I discuss food stuff with and co-workers who I eat with somewhat regularly and also sometimes discuss food stuff with, as well as general conversations and nutrition and food with acquaintances.

I also don't really think it's my business how others eat, and am not sure how I would know how the family next to me eats if they don't discuss it.

I could not judge from what I see people buying at the supermarket, since who knows. Where I live I think people go frequently and buy a few things at once. Someone who saw me at the Jewel on the wrong day might think I only buy diet soda and canned and frozen stuff, since during the summer I get all produce from other sources (my CSA, the green market) and always I get my meat and eggs and some dairy from farms.

I also live near a baseball park and many hang out in this neighborhood or party on game days, so on some days if I assumed what my neighbors bought from the carts at the grocery store I'd assume they were just all alcoholics since they are buying only booze.

I'm a frequent shopper and I shop a few different places (based on the selection). You really can't tell anything by looking at someone's shopping cart. I sometimes look at my purchases and try to imagine what people must think of me, but the truth is that it looks really different depending on where I'm shopping, whether it's a major trip, or what my plans are for the week.

This. ^^ I get most of my fresh produce at the farmer's market during the summer, so rarely get those when I go shopping.

Yesterday at the grocery store, the woman behind me was glaring disdainfully at what I was purchasing. Diet soda, store-made white bread, bacon, butter, chips, ice cream, ground beef, cat food (lol), a bag of sugar and coffee cream, amongst other staples. She gave me a look that would kill at 20 paces. I laughed to myself as I noted that in her cart was kale, a quinoa salad, gluten-free bread, organic spinach and a tub of protein powder.

Just to totally piss her off, I tossed in a Snickers bar for good measure. o:)

I do like you :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Surely everyone knows at least one person who lives on take away/ready meals/junk food and absolutely refuses to eat a single solitary fruit or vegetable! I have a family right next door to me who eats like this, and if they came on here asking "can i eat anything and still lose weight" they would 100% mean, can i eat the crap foods that made me super obese and still lose weight. Some people give no *kitten* about nutrition whatsoever.

You know what your neighbors eat for every meal?

If i didn't, i wouldn't have mentioned it :wink: I have had the food conversation and what she eats and doesn't eat dozens and dozens of times over the years, she constantly complains about her poor eating and lack of cooking but never does anything about it, she's also in her late 40's, so not young, stressed or inexperienced.
    And if i have to pick up one more Mcdonalds or subway wrapper that blows into my yard from her overflowing bin (made up of mostly food boxes and take away containers) I'm gonna have a fit! 8 times out of 10 when she pulls into her driveway in the evenings she has a box of takeaway for dinner for her and her kid.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Surely everyone knows at least one person who lives on take away/ready meals/junk food and absolutely refuses to eat a single solitary fruit or vegetable! I have a family right next door to me who eats like this, and if they came on here asking "can i eat anything and still lose weight" they would 100% mean, can i eat the crap foods that made me super obese and still lose weight. Some people give no *kitten* about nutrition whatsoever.

You know what your neighbors eat for every meal?

If i didn't, i wouldn't have mentioned it :wink: I have had the food conversation and what she eats and doesn't eat dozens and dozens of times over the years, she constantly complains about her poor eating and lack of cooking but never does anything about it, she's also in her late 40's, so not young, stressed or inexperienced.
    And if i have to pick up one more Mcdonalds or subway wrapper that blows into my yard from her overflowing bin (made up of mostly food boxes and take away containers) I'm gonna have a fit! 8 times out of 10 when she pulls into her driveway in the evenings she has a box of takeaway for dinner for her and her kid.

This seems to be a growing trend, but I find it hard to adopt it. My mother cooked for all the years when I was growing up, and now my wife has been cooking for all these years I'm married. Interestingly enough, our daughter also enjoys cooking and baking, and says she plans to continue this when she leaves to get married and start her own home. I find it very difficult to comprehend people buying all sorts of ready made meals and junk food as their way of life.
  • crmothorpe
    crmothorpe Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    George Mateljan has got some great stuff on eating nutrient dense foods on his website. Just picked up his World's Healthiest Foods 2nd edition book. It's a TREASURE TROVE of great, hightly researched information.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    According to the AMA and other authoritative bodies within the United States, a "balanced diet" is not really all that subjective, and looks something like this:

mg69rd99y1ck.jpg

However, I think you will find many people among the fad diet crowd who would not find this to be healthy at all. Such a diet would fill them with paranoia. Bread, cheese, rice, pasta, butter (on my!) or nearly any other individual food on the above graphic representing a balanced diet has to the potential to cause several dieting cults or "clean" eating psychos to lose their cookies. Why? Because most of these individual sects operate largely outside the realm of medical science and nutrition and rely instead on semantics and pop culture to forward their ideas.

Regardless of this, I know one universal way to improve health and decrease risk for a wide assortment of health related conditions and diseases, and that is to decrease your BMI. In this context your diet of choice is largely irrelevant. Be it clean, balanced or otherwise. the biological mechanism to achieve weight loss is identical.

If you are diabetic, that's a terrible diet. I wonder if the AMA makes a differentiation. PS - your average doctor knows nothing about diet and nutrition.

Why should the average person worry about being diabetic?

Diabetes also doesn't mean you have to forgo carbs.

Paging @earlnabby .
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    According to the AMA and other authoritative bodies within the United States, a "balanced diet" is not really all that subjective, and looks something like this:

mg69rd99y1ck.jpg

However, I think you will find many people among the fad diet crowd who would not find this to be healthy at all. Such a diet would fill them with paranoia. Bread, cheese, rice, pasta, butter (on my!) or nearly any other individual food on the above graphic representing a balanced diet has to the potential to cause several dieting cults or "clean" eating psychos to lose their cookies. Why? Because most of these individual sects operate largely outside the realm of medical science and nutrition and rely instead on semantics and pop culture to forward their ideas.

Regardless of this, I know one universal way to improve health and decrease risk for a wide assortment of health related conditions and diseases, and that is to decrease your BMI. In this context your diet of choice is largely irrelevant. Be it clean, balanced or otherwise. the biological mechanism to achieve weight loss is identical.

If you are diabetic, that's a terrible diet. I wonder if the AMA makes a differentiation. PS - your average doctor knows nothing about diet and nutrition.

Paging @earlnabby .

Because the way things are going, in 20 years the average person will be diabetic.

Yes, diabetes means you should forgo grains, sugars and starches as much as possible, unless you want to slowly deteriorate over the course of your life because of the diabetes. It's a fact.

Thats presumptuous.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

mg69rd99y1ck.jpg

Paging @earlnabby .

Because the way things are going, in 20 years the average person will be diabetic.

Yes, diabetes means you should forgo grains, sugars and starches as much as possible, unless you want to slowly deteriorate over the course of your life because of the diabetes. It's a fact.

Do you know what causes diabetes? I don't think you do.
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For me yeah. I am using my bmi number as my calories and am down the lightest ever with 6 days a week work out and increase muscle mass. I pig out on Saturday's though :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

mg69rd99y1ck.jpg

Paging @earlnabby .

Do you know what causes diabetes? I don't think you do.

Yes I do. And I did not say grains, starches and sugar cause T2 diabetes. You should avoid grains, sugars and starches if you are pre-T2 or T2. Unless you want to inject large amounts of insulin for the rest of your life, likely gain weight, and likely be a lot less healthy than people who do not have T2.

Incorrect. You should manage them. You don't need to avoid them. Some T2's need to avoid certain grains and not others.

What T2's should do is reach a normal weight and become active.

Again, paging @earlnabby
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Former T2 in remission here. I did it with significant weight loss and bariatric surgery.

I have not given up a single carb, and I choose my plate according to the national guidelines.

I do prefer vegetables over fruit without giving up either one and out of habit eat protein with my carbs.

I was going to page you in here too! I was pretty sure you were in remission. If I'm not mistaken, you took up occasionally running as well, didn't you?
  • bonniepl
    bonniepl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but the calories would be really low and you might not get adequate nutrition. Some foods do boost your metabolism a bit and give you energy.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It is as simple as that - the most important difference is the macros and micros (nutrition factors of your food). Baby steps though... don't deprive yourself from the foods you love, simply learn serving sizes before you know it you will be selecting more nutritional dense foods, cuz usually more nutritional dense, less calories, the more you can eat to find that satiation spot.