Is anyone else like this.. please help

Hello all, it does not matter how much water I drink, when I eat foods with salt in them I retain water. The foods I eat aren't really all that high in salt, but for me any salt is a problem. I must eat protein and most proteins have salt. I drink and drink and my weight still stays up 5 or 6 pounds. I drink 80 ounces a day of water. That is plenty for me who is 5 foot. I also have coffee. They only way I can get rid of the salt is to not eat any salt for 5 days and then the water weight comes off. That's impossible. It's also hard to see what I have lost for the week because I'm carrying so much water on me.Please advise.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    We need salt.

I'm a woman, 5'7", regularly get well over 3000mg a day. I don't have water retention. Have you talked to your doctor? If you have swollen ankles or legs, it needs treatment. Otherwise, just keep eating and drinking water, the "retention" is not usually worrisome.
  • soon2beeskinny
    soon2beeskinny Posts: 28 Member
    I know how much water weight I carry because I weigh myself daily. Just from last week I'm up 7 pounds, but I'm dieting. I can't get rid of the excess water. I have to completely eat things without salt to get rid of the salt. Then when I eat normal it comes right back on. When I'm not carrying around extra salt water I feel great. I can't go without eating salt. It's impossible
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Are you feeling the fluid accumulating in any specific place? 7 lbs is a lot of fluid retention.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Please be aware that eating too little salt is dangerous too. Our bodies need salt.
    In fact, too much salt is only dangerous for people with hypertension.

"In both groups, low sodium intake (less than 3,000 mg/day) was associated with 26–34% greater risk for heart events and death compared to moderate sodium intake (4,000–5,000 mg/day). However, high sodium intake (more than 7,000 mg/day) only increased risk for heart events and death in adults with hypertension."

https://www.cardiosmart.org/News-and-Events/2016/07/Too-Much-and-Too-Little-Salt-is-Associated-with-Increased-Heart-Risks

Remember, you're trying to lose fat, not water. Just download a weightrend app, and you can smooth out the day to day fluctuations, which are meaningless.

The scale is not a good indicator of progress, esp if you exercise a lot, live in hot climes, etc. Its a tool, and should be used wisely.
    Take some body measurements and use that as your guide if the scale is throwing you off.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't think drinking water gets rid of the water retention. It's just something your body will do with time. You might want to relax on the water.

So, I can't see your diary or how you eat, but let's just say that you are sodium sensitive. More so that other people. What you describe is how I feel after I go to my local Japanese restaurant. I get a noticeable "roll" on the front of my lower stomach and my eyelids and fingers swell. This lasts for about 24-48 hours and I might notice a 1-2 lb blip. I don't do anything special to counteract it but I also don't consider myself extra sensitive to sodium.

Barring any health issues, I actually don't think there is really anything you can "do" about this. My first thought would be that on your next physical, mention it to your doctor. He can run some screening bloodwork just to ensure that your kidneys are functioning properly and that you don't have any cardiac issues that would be causing it such as some sort of slow heart degeneration. If there is nothing, this is just how your body handles sodium and you may very well just have to accept it. @Patriot_Mom gave great advice for you if that is the case.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    The human body is about 60% water. You will always retain some water. That's just normal. So, if you check with your doctor when you do think you are retaining too much water and s/he says you are normal then you need to recalibrate what you think of as normal. If what you think is right requires you to do a five-day salt fast, then the result you seek is not normal.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited September 2017
    "most proteins have salt" ?? There are plenty of high-protein foods with low sodium levels. ETA: if you have a medical condition causing fluid retention, such as congestive heart failure, you can find nutrition advice about reducing dietary sodium here: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/diet_and_congestive_heart_failure/
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Have you had your kidney function checked at the doctor recently? Retaining water too easily is one of the warning signs of renal disease.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Just a few thoughts. Measure your salt and log every smidge. Read all labels on canned/frozen foods (even veggies) and buy the lowest possible or no-salt/sodium versions. Use lite salt or a salt substitute (these can take some getting used to but I'm trying very hard to do so). Use lemon juice, spices, ..., to brighten flavor. AND THEN, ONCE YOU'VE TAKEN A FEW PRACTICAL STEPS JUST WORK YOUR PLAN! I'm watching salt very diligently these days because a high blood pressure issue has developed, but it is in line with your goals as well.
  • Blezzed888
    Blezzed888 Posts: 19 Member
    I absolutely have the same issue as well . During the month of August, I lost no weight at all. I then realized I had in fact ate too many pickles! I retain so much water and the only thing that seemed to help is eating less sodium, time, be more active and I eat a banana every night. This is for potassium, becuz potassium is soppose to help rid the excess sodium from the body according to what I've researched. I would check with yr Dr. First though. I can understand yr frustration. Good Luck!