I look like a cancer patient.

I ran into a classmate whom I've not seen since graduation, 15 months ago. He came in the store in work this evening. He asked me if I had been sick and I said no. Then he said, "Dude, you look like a cancer patient."

Those were his exact words.

So, yeah, if I wasn't motivated before I'm motivated now.

Maybe I shouldn't let it get to me, because we weren't exactly friends. And by not exactly friends, I mean I have planned 32 ways to kill him and make it look like an accident or frame one of his homies to take the fall for his murder. I'm just kidding. I have only planned out 16 ways to off him.

That wasn't the only reason or even the biggest reason I had a sucky day at work. But it added a lot.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    It's tough, planning revenge with no trace of evidence left behind. There's got to be a thousand ways, though. There's got to be.

I also have been told, by one particular co-worker, several times, "You look sick!". She first met me at my corpulent extremity in 1984, so her mental framing of me is that I'm a big guy. I have other, more recently met colleagues, who don't have that experience and they see me as just me and can't imagine me being any bigger.

Just take this as evidence that the dude was shocked to see the transformation you've made, and that means you've done awesomely.
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2017
    That's one of the problems with very low body fat. Even if you are full of muscles and look great naked, with clothes you tend to look drawn in the face and very small.
    As mentioned above, if people are accustomed to seeing you at a certain size, a sudden shrinking can be surprising to some. He probably didn't mean to insult you. However, imagine that you did have cancer. His comments were insensitive nevertheless.

Unfortunately, the way guys get very big is with drugs. Maybe just gain a bit of weight of it bothers you so much. Also, you need to be true to yourself and excercise for yourself and have your own goals. Don't drop weight too fast when cutting and make sure you have a critical muscle mass before cutting.

Screw everyone else.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    I believe that in your previous post you said you wanted to bulk because of being underweight. I believe your stats were 131 lbs and 18yrs old male.

Let that be the reason you want to put on weight, and not some revenge. Eat more calorie dense foods like ice cream, nuts, whole fat dairy, banana shakes, pizzas, peanut butter, etc. lift weights through a progressive lifting program, and cut out intentional cardio.

Many teens are underweight because of high activity. I used to be 130lbs when I was 18, and couldn't add weight however much I ate. I'm 30 now and 175. There's nothing much to worry about if you start now.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited September 2017
    When I was nearly finished with my weight-loss journey I was compared to a "Starving ferret", not much better.

Anyhow, near the end of the journey it seems quite normal to look like someone near starvation.
    That is because your body doesn't care too much about proportion when reducing mass, it's your job to correct this.

To somewhat brighten up your day:
    In a few months you will have muscles again and will look healthier and feel better than you did the past years, this guy will still be the a*sh*l* he always was.

Choose
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    When I was nearly finished with my weight-loss journey I was compared to a "Starving ferret",

Choose
    Ha Ha, if when i get to the end of my journey i recieve a 'compliment 'like this i will know i have succeeded!! :D
  • donkey9512
    donkey9512 Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2017
    The revenge will be yours when you reach 40 years old and maintain a healthy weight while your so called friends get fat. It's a lot better to be underweight and have difficulty with weight gain than the opposite! You will be thankful when you're older.
  • AlexDalton1998
    AlexDalton1998 Posts: 19 Member
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    I believe that in your previous post you said you wanted to bulk because of being underweight. I believe your stats were 131 lbs and 18yrs old male.

That was a year ago at my last physical.m mm

Let that be the reason you want to put on weight, and not some revenge. Eat more calorie dense foods like ice cream, nuts, whole fat dairy, banana shakes, pizzas, peanut butter, etc. lift weights through a progressive lifting program, and cut out intentional cardio.

Many teens are underweight because of high activity. I used to be 130lbs when I was 18, and couldn't add weight however much I ate. I'm 30 now and 175. There's nothing much to worry about if you start now.[/quote]

• AlexDalton1998
    AlexDalton1998 Posts: 19 Member

That was 1 yr ago at my last physical. He said I was borderline being underweight but he didn't seem concerned about it. The last thing he said though was you're in good health. Keep doing what you're doing.

This year I weighed in at 119. That's just a 12 ĺb. reduction. But I guess that 12 lbs is a huge deal. He said that being underweight has the similar health risks as being overweight and b rather of a list of them. I searched it on the internet and got a few more added to it. Doc didn't m mention anorexia, but Google did. Which from what I read hear might be the case.

I wonder why when I was borderline underweight, he didn't tell me to pay attention to it instead of doing what I was doing! I mean if I was borderline for hypertension wouldn't he tell me to cut back on the salt and caffeine and to look for for ways to reduce stress?

I know a lot of people are here are into lifting and that's great and all. I'm sure I could tone up some. When I was on the X country team to they got us in the weight room every once in a while. It's not that I hated it, but I didn't care for it. If I had a gym membership, yeah I'd tone up. But like Forrest H GUmp, I was a running fool. I one ran a mile in 5:46 seconds. That's not Olympic quality but it's pretty fast. So in thought I was healthy. Getting healthy and looking healthy is the goal. Revenge? That's for treating me like crap in HS. And it's not getting healthy. It's causing his DANA tio sto replicating.....
  • Elder00033
    Elder00033 Posts: 3 Member
    Lessen your cardio activity eat a lot of healthy foods sleep early workout,see to it that you hit ur daily calorie intake...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Are you actively trying to lose weight?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited September 2017
    OP... if you don't weight train while you bulk you are just going to end up as the classic "skinny fat" kid. You will flex your arm and their won't be a bump. You will be wider in the middle than you are in the chest and you will most likely get a gut (which on a big muscular dude is unsightly but on a skinny guy is lol)... unless you are just trying to put on just enough weight to remove you from the ranks of the zombie horde. Dunno, up to you I guess. ;)

BTW - I looked like a "cancer patient" a few years ago myself... but I *was* a patient and I dropped from about 230 or so pounds at 6'1 to 130. I looked like an extra from the Walking Dead. I gained a lot of it back - hit about 180 after a couple of years but ended up skinny fat. It's taken a lot of work in the gym to fix that and get the muscle back. I just wish I had started back when I was 130 and not 180... would of made it a lot easier.