How many calories can I burn doing 30 squats?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Is this where I say "not enough to log" and get blasted for not being supportive?

Pretty much this.

I'd say MAYBE 30 calories at most. It's really not worth logging.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I body squat while waiting for the microwave to beep. Plank waiting for a pan to boil. I count it in with my everyday activity.
    If they are used as part of an aerobic workout I log the total mins as that is purposeful exercise.
    30 squats here, 2min plank there rolls over to my normal day's activity.

Cheers, h.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way. On average, doing 4 sets of 8 reps deadlifting 175kg burns ~100 calories. That's 32 total reps @ 385lbs to burn 100 calories.

Granted, deadlifting, not squat, but both are big compound lifts utilizing lots of muscles.

Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories up front but it helps you build more muscle to burn calories all day long.

If this was very lightweight or bodyweight squats as part of a larger calisthentics routine, lot the whole routine, but if it was just squats don't worry about the calories burned and just do the work. :)

@middlehaitch that's a great way to work little things in throughout the day!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Body weight squat would burn about (.08 cal x body wt (kg)) per minute.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Is this where I say "not enough to log" and get blasted for not being supportive?

Pretty much this.

Actually, for body weight squats, less than 10
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Pretty much this.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PLACE FOR SUPPORT???
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    5? 10? calories.
  • Suzuki4life7
    Suzuki4life7 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for letting me know I greatly appreciate it :)
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Pretty much this.

Yes but OP also asked about Jumping jacks ;) I said "at most". Kind of like all those weight loss infomercials that say "Lose up to 10 lbs your first month!" People think they'll lose 10, but they said up yo. Small details. ;)
  • Ninkyou
    Options

Pretty much this.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PLACE FOR SUPPORT???

Y U SO MEAN?!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you timed it and it took some minutes, you could put Hatha Yoga or Pilates for the bodyweight squats for the minutes it took. Calisthenics is too vigorous to use for those, I'd think. The jumping jacks would be calisthenics, imho, so if you count up the minutes, that's how I'd log them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    About 10 calories, roughly

Good on you for getting up and moving

Don't worry about the thread, that's about other stuff not you

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

you and me both lol
  • loonypapa
    loonypapa Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I actually searched for this and found it. Doing 30 body squats is 0.096 cal per pound of body weight. So 3 sets of 10 for me is about 26 cal. But if you're like me, I do them every 30 minutes during the day (I work from home). Goal for each day is 440 calories worth of body squats. Add that to my daily walk and my WT routine, and I'm burning 900-ish calories a day. I'm losing 2.25 pounds per week doing this.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    dtoakridge wrote: »
    I actually searched for this and found it. Doing 30 body squats is 0.096 cal per pound of body weight. So 3 sets of 10 for me is about 26 cal. But if you're like me, I do them every 30 minutes during the day (I work from home). Goal for each day is 440 calories worth of body squats. Add that to my daily walk and my WT routine, and I'm burning 900-ish calories a day. I'm losing 2.25 pounds per week doing this.

Holy thread Necro, Batman!
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Hey guys I looked it up on my fitness pal but I can't find it and I wanted to have an idea. Also how many calories I can burn doing jumping jacks?

Squats would usually be strength training, and strength training burns few calories.
    Continuously doing jumping jacks would probably have a burn measure based on minutes, rather than "jacks" done. I imagine it would be incredibly variable based on the intensity one does them at.

1 minute of JJ Burns 17 calories
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You need to be doing a lot more though to get any kind of results :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    People think they'll lose 10, but they said up yo.

what a perfectly stellar typo.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    On average, doing 4 sets of 8 reps deadlifting 175kg burns ~100 calories. That's 32 total reps @ 385lbs to burn 100 calories.

Pretty sure the "study" that came from has been obliterated. The numbers are *far* more depressing than that.

Roughly speaking, an average height person deadlifting 300 pounds is burning about half a calorie (0.5 calories) per lift.