I Hate Exercise

Options

Replies

• lilycee0222
    lilycee0222 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If your getting nauseated get your blood sugar levels and blood pressure checked.
    I used to get nauseous too.
    A banana before or after the gym is great. And I agree with most posters here. Sounds like not enough fuel. If you are having big calorie deficit don't weight train. If you want to weight train eat well. Don't do anything that makes you miserable. Try a jelly bean next time you feel nauseous. Sounds very much like your sugars are dropping. Muscles need a good glycogen/sugar fix after weights. I found carb cycling was amazing for this! Only ate big serve of carbs on weight days. If you stick with it you might end up loving it. I did eventually.. took 4 years.. now I can't get to gym and I miss it so much. Me time with my music.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OP here again! It's been almost a year, and I still hate exercising. But I think I hate it slightly less than I used to. So... Progress?

Been going to a PF 3ish times a week. Lifting is hard. Cardio is hard. Getting there, doing my thing, and getting home takes about 2 hrs. But I can do more than I could when I started.

Maybe one day I'll get to the point where instead of being a chore I have to force myself to do, I'll actually enjoy it and look forward to it. But I'm still not there yet.

Good show! I hope the "doing more than I could when I started" part is a bit of a reward, at least.

Yes and no. Yes, it feels good to see that there is SOME kind of progress. But since I'm doing more now, that means it's still really really hard :P instead of getting any easier.
    If you stick with it you might end up loving it. I did eventually.. took 4 years.. now I can't get to gym and I miss it so much. Me time with my music.

Four YEARS... well, I'm not there yet. Maybe by that point I'll love it too!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    OP here again! It's been almost a year, and I still hate exercising. But I think I hate it slightly less than I used to. So... Progress?

Been going to a PF 3ish times a week. Lifting is hard. Cardio is hard. Getting there, doing my thing, and getting home takes about 2 hrs. But I can do more than I could when I started.

Maybe one day I'll get to the point where instead of being a chore I have to force myself to do, I'll actually enjoy it and look forward to it. But I'm still not there yet.

Good show! I hope the "doing more than I could when I started" part is a bit of a reward, at least.

Yes and no. Yes, it feels good to see that there is SOME kind of progress. But since I'm doing more now, that means it's still really really hard :P instead of getting any easier.
    If you stick with it you might end up loving it. I did eventually.. took 4 years.. now I can't get to gym and I miss it so much. Me time with my music.

Four YEARS... well, I'm not there yet. Maybe by that point I'll love it too!

See bold. It seems that this is always true regardless of what level of fitness you're at.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too, except walking.. So like others are suggesting, do something you like. Swimming burns a lot of calories! Walking in the sand on the beach just looking for shells burns 30%-50% more calories that hitting the pavement. I couldn't do dancing because I hate music, but I LOVE hiking and fishing and camping.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    OMG I absolutely LOVE exercise. I love the feeling, the pump it gives. To me its a natural high. I love the soreness the next few days. Im weird..... I cant see working out without enjoying it. I think sticking with anything and being happy depends alot upon how much you enjoy it. That goes for everything in life, career, etc etc. But if your that tired and hurting, etc etc, then something isnt right. Maybe pushing too hard? Idk. I hope you find your groove.
  • GlassAngyl
    Options
    jlhflex wrote: »
    OMG I absolutely LOVE exercise. I love the feeling, the pump it gives. To me its a natural high. I love the soreness the next few days. Im weird..... I cant see working out without enjoying it. I think sticking with anything and being happy depends alot upon how much you enjoy it. That goes for everything in life, career, etc etc. But if your that tired and hurting, etc etc, then something isnt right. Maybe pushing too hard? Idk. I hope you find your groove.

My sister in law likes it and talks about the high she would get going to the gym in her youth. My daughter also seems to enjoy it. The only thing I liked was the rush of running and running. Like I could run forever and never get winded. That's LONG gone! My sons like me. Hates the soreness, hates sweat.. maybe it's because he has Aspergers and perhaps I do to as we are very much alike in many ways.. But distract us with a hobby so we don't know we are exercising? We can go on for hours..
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

idk if you mentioned what kind of exercise you're doing. but if it's worth anything to you: i discovered that the biggest payoff from improvement was that it let me not focus on whether the doing it felt easier. that never does.

my private trick is the recovery rate. it never got to 'this is easy'. it just became 'i'm not afraid of this suck'. because it will be over soon and i will get 'better' from it. i don't do workouts that are an entire hour or half-hour of non-stopping suck. mine are more like sequences of individual little micro-sucks strung out across 30 or 60 minutes.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    What is the point of coming to the "Fitness and Exercise" forum just to tell people you hate it? Why not just stick to the other forums than? I feel like I'm missing something in the OP
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I start off so strong, too strong. I get worn out and my cortisol level sky rockets. Then I don't lose weight and actually gain it despite eating correctly. I use to think I had to work out until I didn't have energy for anything else. Go hard or go home right? I find that I lose weight most effectively when I do things such as power walking. Slow and steady. I feel much better during and after these types of working out. Lifting weights can take care of the rest.
  • justnjoyable
    justnjoyable Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I suspect that you're pushing yourself too hard and not eating enough to sustain it. Aching sure, if you've hit yourself particularly hard, but nausea, tiredness, breathlessness etc? Sounds like you're forcing your body to do too much on not enough energy.

I'm inclined to agree. If it makes you too tired all day and even affects next day then you are likely doing too much and/or not fueling your activity enough. If cardio is hard, start by taking a walk and gradually increasing your speed. If strength training is hard, start by picking up a smaller weight/doing a modified body weight exercise. If you hate the act itself, look for something that you enjoy better. Maybe some some team sports with friends? Some Wii exercise games (if you have one)? "Adventure" type group hikes? Even some goat yoga. The possibilities for all kinds of activities are endless, from conventional to flat out weird.

I agree with the two posts I copied above. Try not to be discouraged, as you did take the time to become a part of the Fitness Pal experience...you are on the right track! If I were to pinpoint two major things:
    1. Retrain your brain with positive thoughts about your workout....and what you did accomplish, rather than what you hate. You have patterned your brain to be in a negative loop so it will not help you achieve any goals you may set. The good news is you can change it...in an instant.
    2. As a few people have mentioned, it is so important to have the nutrional balance for a workout...this app has the ability for you to optimize your workouts, and can really help see the relationship between your intake and energy level. It's just a matter of really making that commitment to learning about yourself and how your body works, what it needs. Good luck!
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is at most $20 a month. You can get home workout DVDs for cheap online or subscribe to a service (I use Beachbody on demand). You are never going to be okay with it if you hate what you're doing. You can get a good workout in thirty minutes, you don't have to spend hours a day doing it. Have you tried weight lifting/resistance training as your primary workout and cutting back on the cardio?
  • GlassAngyl
    Options

SCoil123 wrote: »
    What is the point of coming to the "Fitness and Exercise" forum just to tell people you hate it? Why not just stick to the other forums than? I feel like I'm missing something in the OP

@SCoil123 , probably because they were hoping someone could convince them it's all worth it in the end and that it would get easier. Or give them ideas on alternative exercises they might enjoy better where they don't feel like they are killing themselves.

I despise traditional exercise and I always wonder if anyone who loves it now, did they hate it when they first started? Did it get easier? When did it become a groan of disgust at the idea of dragging themselves to the gym to an excited euphoric reaction and a sense of joyful anticipation.

Cause all you hear about is either the hating of the idea or those that say they get a high from it... Never any info on those who went from hating to loving it and a break down of the sequence of events that caused that paradigm shift.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If your weak and tired from exercising, then your not eating enough. And if your exercising everyday, you shouldn't feel weak and sore after every workout. How much time it takes out of your day? Are you doing a 4 hour workout? Most people workout an average of an hour a day whether it's running, weights whatever. A lot of people here suggesting for you to do other things but then that would take time out of your day right? Sounds like you have a very busy life if you can't take an hour or even 30 minutes out of your day to do something you like. And if you don't like being sweaty, then what's the point? You're not going to burn very many calories or fat if you don't sweat. Sorry to sound annoyed but if you really wanted to find a way to exercise or do something you like, you would have done it already.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hmm, one day at a time I guess. I love it. like MADLY, it gives me such a high, and I get even more hyper the more I do.I keep looking for new fun ways to exercise all outside.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    i don't do workouts that are an entire hour or half-hour of non-stopping suck. mine are more like sequences of individual little micro-sucks strung out across 30 or 60 minutes.

This definitely helped. While I was at PF, I really enjoyed the half-hour "360 Strength" workout. The trainers were exceptionally good at being gently encouraging without completely letting you off the hook!
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    @SCoil123 , probably because they were hoping someone could convince them it's all worth it in the end and that it would get easier. Or give them ideas on alternative exercises they might enjoy better where they don't feel like they are killing themselves.

I despise traditional exercise and I always wonder if anyone who loves it now, did they hate it when they first started? Did it get easier? When did it become a groan of disgust at the idea of dragging themselves to the gym to an excited euphoric reaction and a sense of joyful anticipation.

Cause all you hear about is either the hating of the idea or those that say they get a high from it... Never any info on those who went from hating to loving it and a break down of the sequence of events that caused that paradigm shift.

I do want to emphasize that I never felt like I was actually harming myself. One thing I've always felt quite confident about is being able to tell the difference between "discomfort" and "pain." Discomfort is your body saying "do we HAVE to do this??" and pain is your body saying "NO NO NO STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!" For me, even when pain is mild, it comes with a sense of wrongness that I don't get when I'm uncomfortable.

Also, in scouring the forums I did find a few threads about people who went from really not liking exercise to enjoying it.

It's been almost another year, so I figure it's time for another update. I stayed at PF for a full year and it was really helpful. I learned that I really enjoyed seeing muscle build up in my arms and shoulders. That's something I want to continue to work on, but it's difficult, because really - my only reason is pure vanity! And it's not always strong enough to make me push myself as much as I need to in order to get the results I was hoping for.

Because I started working on my masters, I now qualify for the student rate at the Y, so I've transferred there. When that runs out, I might go back to PF, but I may also see if I can swing a work/use deal at a local gym.

Shifting from going on long walks to actually running was a challenge. I looked up some C25k programs online and followed them, but the key for me was the treadmill. It's got more give to it than dirt or asphalt, and that made it easier to transition to running. So I worked on running on the treadmill, then tried adding in a bit of running to my walks outside. That really helped me, and I got to the point where I started working on improving my speed.

@oilphins, I definitely do have a very full life, and that's by choice; there are just a lot of things I enjoy! And that's a problem that, overall, I'm glad to have. But even a 30-minute workout isn't just 30 minutes out of the day; there's the time getting ready for it, travel to the location if needed, the actual workout time, travel home, and then cleanup. When I was running in the morning before school I had to get up an hour earlier than I would have otherwise to get in a 30-minute run; it took me 10 minutes of prep and 20 minutes to undress, shower, and dry off.

Looking back at my original post, I'll note that 'nauseated' is no longer in the picture, even when I push myself. That's in part because I follow my Top Two Rules: #1 is no passing out, and #2 is no vomiting! So when my stomach gets that trembly feeling, I dial it back! I still don't like feeling tired or sweaty, but, well, them's the breaks.

And it also strikes me that 2016 was the first year I worked at the amusement park over the summer - long days walking around out in the heat. And then in August when school started I was teaching during the week and working at the park on weekends, so a lot of what I was feeling by October may not have been due to exercise specifically, but just general exhaustion!

TL;DR - same principle as weight loss in general: BE MORE PATIENT. Don't push so hard. Do what's sustainable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find vanity or because it's "good for me" is not sustaining. The activity has to also be engaging and fun. At least for me.

I sense you are habitually in overdrive, and you tackled fitness the same way. Perhaps the long term goal for short term pain is good enough for you.

How about Crossfit? You could refocus some of that ambition towards some short-term goals, like "winning"!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There is something called aqua aerobics: people stand around in a swimming pool, water is just about perfectly warm. There is a lovely, young lady instructor jumping about at the edge of the pool doing some very strenuous looking exercise which she evidently does not enjoy that much. We, the people in the pool, float leisurely about or pretend to be giants, wildly leaping - supported by all the water -from one end to the other. After half an hour or so the gorgeous instructor is exhausted and gives up on us lot. And there is no joint pain for us, even the knees think that they have been on holidays. Heaven! What's not to like with that sort of exercise?
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    You mention that you are working on your masters. That tells me that you might be a goal oriented person? Am I a little bit right? I'm a person who likes goals and once I reached my maintenance weight, exercising for the sake of exercising just wasn't enough. So now, every Spring I start running (I absolutely loathe treadmills so do cardio other than running in the winter) with the goal of improving my time at a run held every October. This is the third year doing it and so far, its keeping me motivated. Maybe that's what's lacking in your fitness routine.......some kind of tangible end result?
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I SO hear you on this. I also hate gyms- dread going, can't wait to leave the moment I get there. So- I stopped going. Instead, I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Not just strolling, but I include power walking and hills. I have a dog so it's a great motivator to do it. I also enjoy yoga, but don't do it as often as I would like. The point is- find something you enjoy otherwise you will never do it.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Tons of free workouts on youtube. Find something you like, and do it. Start gradually and build on it. Personally, I LOVE exercising and have done it consistently my entire life. Pretty sure there is something out there you enjoy, and if you love it - it's not "exercise" - it's fun!