Clothes size.

Options
I have lost 36 pounds since the beginning of the year and I still wear the same clothes.
I guess they're way loser but I can still wear them.
What in the world? lol Is this suppose to happen? I wanna buy a new wardrobe!!

Replies

• sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    A lot of times we don't buy clothes when we gain weight. It could be due to budget constraints or to the clothes stretching enough to fit us and, of course, sometimes it's due to stubbornness and not wanting to get a larger size. The side effect is not shrinking out of them as much as we'd like when we lose the weight again.

Very true. I didn't think about this.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is you are losing weight all over, and not dramatically in one area. Have you taken any measurements along the way?
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm down about 30lbs and I still haven't gotten anything new either. Things definitely fit better though!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started buying new just past 30 lbs when my friends started needling me (in a nice way). Make friends with Goodwill!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I'm down 36 too, still the same clothes. Fitting into some older stuff that was tight, but haven't really bought anything new
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds before dropping any clothing sizes, Still havent dropped a pant size 105 pounds later and tiny XD which is weird to me i fit size XS dresses, but large pants xD Clothing size logic will make you crazy
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Have you gone to try on new clothes? I can still wear some things from 60 pounds ago, but they look large and sloppy. If your clothes feel big, go try on some new things in smaller sizes! You may be surprised how well they fit and how different you look.

^This. I didn't fully realize how badly some of my clothes were fitting until I tried on some new ones and saw the difference. And immediately, people noticed my weight loss more because I was actually wearing clothes that fit.

All of this.

However, I seriously have no idea how someone could lose 105 pounds as JaydedMiss said, and still wear the same pants.

I wore size 22 from like 240 to 290 lb though so I know a pretty big spread is possible the larger a person is. However, at size 12 I lose 4-6 lb and seriously MUST drag my size 10s out. I guess everyone's different.

• boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to try on new clothes? I can still wear some things from 60 pounds ago, but they look large and sloppy. If your clothes feel big, go try on some new things in smaller sizes! You may be surprised how well they fit and how different you look.

This I bet if you went to try on clothes they would fit better than you think. I recently went to get new jeans and wanted to try on jeans two sizes bigger than I needed. The sales person made me try the smaller ones and I was shocked they fit and how good they looked. We definitely get a distorted view of ourselves and it takes alot for us to realize we don't look the way we did x pounds ago.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I am almost at 40lbs and still wearing the same jeans, albeit with a belt (on the final belthole now), I have gone from bursting out of them with a "muffin top" to being able to take them off without even undoing the zip. I intend to lose another 30lbs at the very least so I am trying to put off buying new stuff as long as possible.

I have bought one new pair of jeans a size smaller, but only because it was a designer pair that fit really well and they were reduced to 20 euros from 80 euros.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

^This. I didn't fully realize how badly some of my clothes were fitting until I tried on some new ones and saw the difference. And immediately, people noticed my weight loss more because I was actually wearing clothes that fit.

All of this.

However, I seriously have no idea how someone could lose 105 pounds as JaydedMiss said, and still wear the same pants.

I wore size 22 from like 240 to 290 lb though so I know a pretty big spread is possible the larger a person is. However, at size 12 I lose 4-6 lb and seriously MUST drag my size 10s out. I guess everyone's different.

yeah no im a 1 off for sure, My weight loss has been rediculously different thn average. My legs slimmed down 100% their just pure muscle now and yet im still in the same pants/panties even with much smaller legs. Honestly makes no sense im aware of that lol. Note why i mentioned it, Just everyones a bit different and clothing sizes arent always a good indicator is all
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    boulank wrote: »

This I bet if you went to try on clothes they would fit better than you think. I recently went to get new jeans and wanted to try on jeans two sizes bigger than I needed. The sales person made me try the smaller ones and I was shocked they fit and how good they looked. We definitely get a distorted view of ourselves and it takes alot for us to realize we don't look the way we did x pounds ago.

yeah i went from XL sweaters and shirts and the day i went in to find a dress (my first of soon to be many) i was still trying on large. Sales girl said no no no and brought me a size small. I like cried that day it fit perfect. I was so used to buying larger and the way larger clothes looked, MY brain had sort of forgotten when clothes were meant to fit like. Definatly dont be afraid of trying on smaller sizes you can be very very surprised
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm 28 pounds down from the beginning of the year and still wearing mostly the same clothes. I get the disappointment, but I'm not surprised, personally. There are two big factors in play for me: first, I had to replace my wardrobe a couple of times as I gained weight and as I did, I definitely favored knits, elastic waistbands and other such things with plenty of give that didn't restrict the old belly. And second, I decided to start losing weight right around the time that parts of my current wardrobe was starting to feel uncomfortably tight, so there was definitely "room to lose." That said, I have had to retire a couple of pairs of pants, one skirt (with mixed feelings, as I loved that skirt), and a suit (with very mixed feelings, as I spent a lot of money on it right at my fattest), and can fit into a suit and pair of jeans I'd retired 20 pounds ago, so that's nice.

I am very envious, by the way, of people who don't have to have at least one well-fitted suit at all times. Bah.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

yeah i went from XL sweaters and shirts and the day i went in to find a dress (my first of soon to be many) i was still trying on large. Sales girl said no no no and brought me a size small. I like cried that day it fit perfect. I was so used to buying larger and the way larger clothes looked, MY brain had sort of forgotten when clothes were meant to fit like. Definatly dont be afraid of trying on smaller sizes you can be very very surprised

girl!!! you are fine as hell. I want to look like you one day!!
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    sdolan91 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

girl!!! you are fine as hell. I want to look like you one day!!

@sdolan91
    oh my gosh thanks haha -blushing- Lost most my weight in the first 13 months been sort of just hovering/slowly losing and focused on nourishing my body since XD Hoping loose skin tones up although iv been relatively blessed as far as it only really appears when i bend over and seem to melt towards the floor LOL
  • rosyone1
    rosyone1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I lost the way a bathtub drains: from the top down. After 30 pounds I could have gone down a size on my jeans but didn't really need to. But none of my old bras fit.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am finding that I need to replace my 3x and 4x elastic waist pants with 2x -- not only because the crotch and tush areas bag out but because my pants want to "drop trou" once I put the wallet, car keys and cell phone in the pockets. It would be bad to have my pants drop around my ankles in the grocery store. The 2x, as opposed to 3x, tunics I just bought hang without clinging to my belly even fresh from the dryer.

I'm not kidding myself. I think some of this is due to a change in sizing definitions but I do think I've gone from being tight in a 24 to a 22 fitting nicely. All this in only 26 pounds. Who knows what the future will bring? Sometime around 1960, I went from a girl's 6x to a miss 14 and I never looked back!