40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids. I've been in and out of circulation due to a massive reno project at home. Glad to see people still working hard. Went to HIIT class and running 8 k tomorrow. Will have to skip a planned half next weekend but will try one on November 4th. no kitchen means no snacking lol
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Stretch"=Done!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Hi Kids....
    Rest and recovery for me this week. It felt great to take a few days off. Did a couple easy spins on the bike Thurs/Friday, and an easy paced 10 mile trail run today. Will shift to a run focus for the next month to prepare for the Hfd Half marathon, then its the "off season" for me. The good news is that my lovely wife has been saving a long list of projects for me to complete in the off season, so I won't be bored this fall. :)

Stay Cool.
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »
    @QuikDogs I lift heavy things too. I firmly believe that the word "cardio" is spanish. The only reason I would ever run is if I'm being chased by a bear.

I agree. except i signed up for a race in November so I've had to incorporate cardio into my daily routine as a necessity. at least i'll know that i can outrun a zombie when the apocalypse hits hehe
  • hawk4669
    hawk4669 Posts: 9 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    42 in Northern California. Have lost 23 pounds and counting.
  • Djproulx
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @QuikDogs I lift heavy things too. I firmly believe that the word "cardio" is spanish. The only reason I would ever run is if I'm being chased by a bear.

You could always invite the bear to join you.....

51x7mmielyfg.jpg
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd be turning the other way, LOL.

My run today was slow as balls, but it got done, so yay. Downside is it's Sunday, so that means hell-day at work. Ugh. But I survived, and then took the cats to get their rabies' shots, and then I tripped on the way in and faceplanted into the door. I'm very graceful.
  • Dyl1789
    Dyl1789 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Dyls and I'm over 40 (just), sounds like AA for the over 40's!!!!
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

You could always invite the bear to join you.....

51x7mmielyfg.jpg

That's exactly why I don't run; it's just way to dangerous because if all the bears!
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Svanel wrote: »

I agree. except i signed up for a race in November so I've had to incorporate cardio into my daily routine as a necessity. at least i'll know that i can outrun a zombie when the apocalypse hits hehe

Yes! Bears AND zombies!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Svanel wrote: »

Yes! Bears AND zombies!

Plus where I live the police tend to get suspicious of people who run. They also tend not to ask questions first.
  • gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Beta: Rip'T Circuit"=Done!
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No bears or zombies where I live, but I have been chased by the occasional dog and one cow!
    The cow (more like a older calf) somehow got out of the fence and desperately want back in with the other cows. It must of thought I could help because it followed me for half a mile. I finally did find an opening and got it back inside with the other cows.
    I have never ran that route again :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all, started a post, was almost done and lost it. Grrr.

Busy weekend with my granddaughters. Fun, but busy - they wear me out!
    Didn't do any formal exercise on the weekend, except for running and playing with the kids, which in itself can be a workout. Got over 10,000 steps running after them. lol.

Weigh in today with a total 5lb loss for the week! I'll take it. :)

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Yesterdays crossfit and today's shoulder workouts

Crossfit
    Dumbbell front squats (30lbs dumbbell in each hand on shoulder)
    Push Press (30lbs) 10 x 5
    Wall ball abs 3x10
    wall balls 15-12-9-6-3 with 3 burpees at the start of each set

Weights (shoulders)
    Barbell row 50kg 12-10-8 superset with burpees x 10 with shoulder rotations 4kg 3 x 10
    Barbell shoulder press 30kgx10 - 35kg x 8 - 6
    Arnold Press 10kg 8-7-7 superset with Lateral dumbel raises 4kg 12-10-8
    Rope face pull 3 x 10 superset with front raises 10kg 10-10-7

I'm, focusing my lifting on strengthening shoulders and shoulder flexibility

So ja, my shoulders are shattered now lol

Oh and a gym selfie

wwlm6q2kcc1r.jpg

• gam3rguy
    Options
    "FOCUS T25 Beta: Dynamic Core"=Done!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Morning cool kids!
    Pilates last night and it was wonderful! Tried the reformer for the first time. Very cool machine.

Tired this morning. Not sure why - must be the weather.

Have a great day all.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Great day kids, hope all is well. The gym decided to have a superhero theme\workouts today. Since I love the Justice League, I was ready to see a variety of costumes. Well wouldn't you know it, everyone was superwoman, superman or batwoman. I wanted to see Lex Luthor (lol). Oh well TRX and BootCamp complete. My daughter joined me for Hot Pilates last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her reaction was priceless when the instructor announced her name and told the class it was her first time. I decided to give PLIYO a try to see if this gives me a different kind of workout. Well the picture of the bear made me smile. I hope no one was hurt by him of course. Morgan, awesome stuff. Gam3rguy, are you training for a race? Have a great day kids.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Last Friday I had a dexa scan, they mapped out not only bone, but lean body mass, and, yes, fat mass. It was so cool to see that teensy little strong person inside there waiting to get out! That little chick in there is in the 95th percentile for lean mass.

It's interesting how you get ideas in your head. I've always thought my ideal weight would be about 125. The tech said no way, your bone mass + lean body mass is 142lb. Your target weight should be no less than 150 at the very lowest, and you will probably be happier at 155. She also said, at about 153, if I lose minimal lean mass, I'd have the body composition of an elite athlete.

Honestly, I dreaded it going in, but it was amazing and super motivating!

If you have the opportunity to get a full dexa scan, I would really recommend it.
  • Djproulx
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @QuikDogs - Thanks for posting your experience with the dexa scan process. It sounds very enlightening. I've been considering getting a body composition test done, but have been procrastinating. Like you, I have some pre-conceived ideas about what my ideal weight would be. I know that the leaner I get, the faster I'll go, but I'm really wondering about where the "sweet spot" is. Maybe its time for me to stop guessing and get a real target number.

I'm taking a break from the bike and swimming and enjoying the shift to just running. I got in a good session at the track last night. Did 16 x 400's by alternating laps at 5k pace, then marathon pace. This is one of my favorite workouts to build speed. I'll get a chance to check my progress on Sunday at a local 5k race.