Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey folks,

So I'm considering Intermittent fasting. Have been researching it the last few days.
I'm thinking f 4:3 which is 4 days of normal eating and 3 fast days which can be no food or 500cals for the day.
I do shift work though and in any one week I could be working 7am-5pm/ 12pm-10pm/ 9pm-7am so I don't know how I'm going to work it.
I'd love some friends who are considering it or are doing it for a length of time already and I'd love any advice people could give me.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to try to make your eating schedule fit your job schedule instead of trying to follow a random but specific plan?
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do IF and have for about a year. It workes well for me. I also used to do shift work (12+hrs of physical work). I go by the hours, I usually dont eat in the am or afternoon. I start eating about 5p-11p. I do this most days but will eat if Im hungry in the moring or afternoon. I also like the "time window" bc if I have a busy moring I eat breakfast and lunch and might eat dinner or not. I also bike everywhere and dont own a car so that helps with the weight. I feel better and it works for me but it doesnt work for everyone. Also, drink lots of water.
  • just1980
    just1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try 16:8 diet fast for 16h a day and eat for 8h its flexible and works for me
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I do IF, most days it's 23:1. One huge meal a day. But sometimes due to lunch or dinner plans I make it a bit longer eating window. I really enjoy eating one meal, which is a total of about 1500-1700 calories, and this includes anything I want such as cake, cookies, ect. I still lose or maintain depending on the total Calories I've consumed. It just keeps me from over-eating. You can add me as a friend!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    just1980 wrote: »
    Try 16:8 diet fast for 16h a day and eat for 8h its flexible and works for me

flexible for you sure,but her doing shift work and not knowing her schedule 16:8 may be hard to keep up with
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    sarahp86 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

So I'm considering Intermittent fasting. Have been researching it the last few days.
    I'm thinking f 4:3 which is 4 days of normal eating and 3 fast days which can be no food or 500cals for the day.
    I do shift work though and in any one week I could be working 7am-5pm/ 12pm-10pm/ 9pm-7am so I don't know how I'm going to work it.
    I'd love some friends who are considering it or are doing it for a length of time already and I'd love any advice people could give me.

@sarahp86 Watch this. This should help you. I do IF in the form of OMAD and it works well for me.

You can add me if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLu40911sQc&t=246s
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sarahp86 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Okay - 3 days at zero calories would be too much of a weekly deficit for many people. Large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. IF doesn't protect you (but obesity does).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

IF is just meal timing. Any/all other supposed health benefits have precious little (if any) scientific backing.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • amynrichie7075
    amynrichie7075 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8. I work 12 hour night shifts (3 a week.) On my "home" days, I eat from noon-8pm. On my work days,I will eat from 4pm-12am.
    That leaves a minimum fast of 12 hours if I don't work the next night. It's been working very well. If I get hungry before noon, I have coffee, or just try to get busy enough to forget about it.
    I've lost 9 pounds the first month. I do still track my food, and sometimes have a hard time getting at least 1200 calories in. I find it much easier to stay under my calorie goal since I've limited the hours that I can eat.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8. I work 12 hour night shifts (3 a week.) On my "home" days, I eat from noon-8pm. On my work days,I will eat from 4pm-12am.
    That leaves a minimum fast of 12 hours if I don't work the next night. It's been working very well. If I get hungry before noon, I have coffee, or just try to get busy enough to forget about it.
    I've lost 9 pounds the first month. I do still track my food, and sometimes have a hard time getting at least 1200 calories in. I find it much easier to stay under my calorie goal since I've limited the hours that I can eat.

and the more you are under calorie goal the more you will lose(and faster) and thats not always a good thing. eat more calorie dense foods. you are supposed to eat to your calorie goal not stay under it. which means your net calories after exercise should be 1200.