Fasting & muscle gain/loss

Options
A few weeks ago, I joined gym again. This time, I decided to challenge myself and face my gym phobia of using machines/weights and that everyone was watching me.

I've been IF for about a year now and do 16:8 with 5:2 however sometimes I do extended fasts.
I'm starting to notice that my glutes in particular are getting smaller, even though I'm targeting them.

When you lose muscle mass from fasting, surely it would be evenly distributed on the body, rather than from one specific area?

Could I still maintain/lean out if I upped my calories but still fasted the same ?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you eating at maintenance?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you are leaning out and carry fat on the glutes, it is normal for them to get smaller. However, if you think you are losing muscle in that area, then ya, that is not good. I am not sure how fasting would affect that unless you happen to be undereating overall.

Have you been eating in a deficit? How fast are you losing? How lean are you already? If you are already very lean and have a lower bodyfat%, then it is possible you will lose some muscle unfortunately.

What are your goals?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    When you lose muscle mass from fasting, surely it would be evenly distributed on the body, rather than from one specific area?

When you lose muscle mass from fasting, you are catabolizing it so your body can use it for fuel. It is gone. It is not going to show up somewhere else on your body. You need to eat at a surplus to build muscle.
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your diary shows very very low calorie intakes. Hoping your diary entries are just not completed.

Targeting the glutes if you are eating under maintenance will cause you lose fat and some muscle particularly if the deficit is a little on the aggressive side and perhaps your protein intake is not ample enough to support your calories/lifting/exercise regime.

I log everything I eat into my diary, and I do weigh my food so I know it's not an over/under estimation.
    I am vegan, and really battle to eat a lot of food - even calorie dense foods that are clean. I aim for about 30% protein which is more than enough for my height and age x
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You are very thin in your picture. Are you sure you are eating enough? If unsure, is there a professional you trust?
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If you are leaning out and carry fat on the glutes, it is normal for them to get smaller. However, if you think you are losing muscle in that area, then ya, that is not good. I am not sure how fasting would affect that unless you happen to be undereating overall.

Have you been eating in a deficit? How fast are you losing? How lean are you already? If you are already very lean and have a lower bodyfat%, then it is possible you will lose some muscle unfortunately.

What are your goals?

I have tried eating at a deficit and gradually lowering but I never saw any results. The only time I lose is when I eat below 500 calories and I find really unsustainable.
    My goals are to grow the glutes and lean out everywhere else. I don't know what my body fat percentage is, unfortunately.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows very very low calorie intakes. Hoping your diary entries are just not completed.

Targeting the glutes if you are eating under maintenance will cause you lose fat and some muscle particularly if the deficit is a little on the aggressive side and perhaps your protein intake is not ample enough to support your calories/lifting/exercise regime.

I log everything I eat into my diary, and I do weigh my food so I know it's not an over/under estimation.
    I am vegan, and really battle to eat a lot of food - even calorie dense foods that are clean. I aim for about 30% protein which is more than enough for my height and age x

I can see why you are losing muscle and fat. Girl you need to eat some food!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If your logging is accurate then you are in no way eating enough protein to build or sustain your muscles, most days you are well under 50 grams of protein. One day I saw 15 grams of protein, you gotta up that. Not to mention your calories are very low as well. You can't run a car without fuel. I would focus on protein. This is a good guy to read, here is an article that might shed some light. http://physiqonomics.com/muscle-strength-loss-diet/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hope OP is still reading, even if she's not replying any more.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    If calories are too low muscle loss is inevitable regardless of what work you think you are doing to build and maintain it. The body will use what it has for fuel
  • BigNorthernBear
    BigNorthernBear Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If your lifts are going up you are not losing muscle, you are losing fat.

If her lifts are going up, especially as a new lifter who's humongously underfeeding herself, it's neuromuscular adaptation. She's not doing anything beneficial for her strength or her body on a diet like that.

If she is humongously underfeeding the newby gains will vanish quite quickly, yes its neural, but an underfed nervous system does not adapt and becomes fatigued in no time. This will rapidly show in lack of motivation, listlessness, craving sleeping in etc..

And judging by her picture she doesnt need to worry about weight loss she should be eating BMR + exercise calories plus a little extra.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

To even consider keeping what muscle you have, before you even think about gaining any, you need to be eating sufficient protein, and not having a massive deficit. If you struggle to eat enough food, perhaps consider stopping the IF and fasting thing.... At least then you'd have more opportunity to fuel your body properly.

30% protein might be fine if you were eating enough calories, but as others have pointed out, it seems your calorie intake is way too low.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

What are your goals?

I have tried eating at a deficit and gradually lowering but I never saw any results. The only time I lose is when I eat below 500 calories and I find really unsustainable.
    My goals are to grow the glutes and lean out everywhere else. I don't know what my body fat percentage is, unfortunately.

You need to eat more, and if you can't you need to see a doctor. You look to already be quite thin, you are undereating, and you are eating dangerously low protein and fat. If your diary is correct, you are harming yourself.

When you eat (or fast) does not directly affect weight loss. Your problem is how little you are eating. I hope your logging is inaccurate, but if not, please see a doctor and print your food log to bring with you.