5'1 Ladies- what are your maintenance calories?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    5'2", 45yo, 150lb. Trying to get maintenance right, on a rest day I get to eat around 2000, but that's just a Sunday. The rest of the week it's 3000-4000, which is a lot of food. I did try a week at 2500-3000 but lost 1.5lb, so 3000-4000 it is.

(But just so you know I'm super active as in 3+ hours a day 5-6 days a week)
    Wow!! Can I ask what your bf% is at 150? I would be obese. ☹️. My highest weight ever at 5'2" has been just over 130 and I was very uncomfortable probably around 30 % BF. But if you are happy at 150 and strong I could see how your intake and TDEE would be that high. Cheers.

She also mentioned that she is extremely active -
    5'2", 45yo, 150lb. Trying to get maintenance right, on a rest day I get to eat around 2000, but that's just a Sunday. The rest of the week it's 3000-4000, which is a lot of food. I did try a week at 2500-3000 but lost 1.5lb, so 3000-4000 it is.

(But just so you know I'm super active as in 3+ hours a day 5-6 days a week)

Higher activity = Higher TDEE
    She works hard for that food!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    edited August 2017
    I got that. Strange. It ate my full response. Lol. Anyway cheers. We each have our own goals and too many variables to compare apples and oranges.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Sorry but no you wouldn't be obese at 150lb

yep- @5'2" 150 lb isn't yet categorized as obese. (though it is at my 4'10").
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,786 Member
    yeah I do apologize for the obese comment OP. I did not know you had already lost that much weight. I should have put that for "me" 150 would make "me feel" obese. Obviously different perspectives. I thought this was a maintenance short people thread, and since I am very curious and would LIKE to be able to eat and fuel as much as possible I was just trying to understand. Another question to follow up, for us shorties, what are some of your goals as far as weight and BF and BMI etc? I will go first. LOL. I am trying to get to 106 and maintain a range in that place. I am 5'2". I just have a few more pounds to go and my TDEE is calculating at around 1800 or so to maintain.

• bibbob300
    bibbob300 Posts: 48 Member
    I'll go next then.... I'm 5'1 maintain around 103-106 lbs my tdee comes out at around 1200, but I gain at this so aim for 1100 instead. I'd love to get lower not because of achieving a lower weight to get rid of my belly pouch and flabby arms & legs, I've had to come to terms with the fact that at 47 dropping lower makes my face look too drawn, I often glance at my face and think it looks too thin, my husband says I have developed the " lollipop' head ( too big for my tiny frame) but all I see is a fat stomach, conclusion- we're never happy with our bodies.
    I've considered recomp but I also have rib cage inflammation so weights are out of the question, plus I'm too lazy to exercise lol
  • DeniseWilson43
    DeniseWilson43 Posts: 87 Member
    Iam 5 ft and still have a long ways to go ... Denise
  • jenhmarie
    jenhmarie Posts: 3 Member
    i'm 5'1, CW 99lbs and GW is 90. I currently stay at around 1200 calories, but I was also wondering how to maintain around 90-95ish lbs.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    jenhmarie wrote: »
    i'm 5'1, CW 99lbs and GW is 90. I currently stay at around 1200 calories, but I was also wondering how to maintain around 90-95ish lbs.

Sorry but you're already underweight, why would you want to lose more, let alone maintain at a such a low weight? You do realise that being underweight carries almost as many risks as being overweight don't you?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited August 2017
    jenhmarie wrote: »

Sorry but you're already underweight, why would you want to lose more, let alone maintain at a such a low weight? You do realise that being underweight carries almost as many risks as being overweight don't you?

99 lbs is at the low end of normal. Hard to tell from the photo (sunglasses), but she looks like she could be asian - in some of those countries (Korea, Thailand,..), a normal-range BMI could be considered fat by societal standards.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2017
    There is a change in BMI for Asians, but the lowest normal is the same for all BMI calculators.

@jenhmarie, at 98 lbs you would be at the very bottom of the normal BMI range, please don't try to lose any more weight.

If you don't like the way your body looks try lifting weights. It will help resculpt your body while maintaining your weight. You won't get big and bulky.

Look at the recomposition thread in the maintaining forum.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Cheers, h.
    Asian BMI calculator-
    https://aadi.joslin.org/en/am-i-at-risk/asian-bmi-calculator
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    kas1317 wrote: »
    I'm 5'1, 31 years old, desk job. CW= 115. I like to be b/t 110-112, but find myself gaining a few pounds and then having to lose the same 5-6 pounds over and over to get my GW. I am obviously not hitting my maintenance calories correctly.

Two thoughts. One, perhaps your body likes to be at that weight? And two, maintenance really is losing the same few pounds over and over again. I diet for a while, enjoy a vacation or holiday season/birthday/anniversary, then tighten things up again.

Thanks for sharing this! I have been on the last 10 pounds for about 6 months. I now have 6 pounds to go........
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    This is a great thread! I'm 5'3 and a half..age 62... I lost 72 lbs in about 14 months.. maintained for about a year but am currently trying to lose about 6 lbs I've added. My main exercise is walking (treadmill and outside) but I'd like to add strength training. I'm struggling to stay in a good range when I'm back in maintenance . Does strength training add water weight at first?
  • allykir
    allykir Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm 5'7, 30 years old - and I have PCOS with extremely high insulin resistance. - Had to note this before people jump on me about maintenance #. bmr is just slightly under 1200.

True PCOS sucks ladies and gents. I will gain weight if I try to 'diet' at 1300-1400 without a lot of exercise.

I know I am not 5'1 like a lot of you, but I have a similar area of calorie goals. It really sucks :/
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    swim777 wrote: »
    This is a great thread! I'm 5'3 and a half..age 62... I lost 72 lbs in about 14 months.. maintained for about a year but am currently trying to lose about 6 lbs I've added. My main exercise is walking (treadmill and outside) but I'd like to add strength training. I'm struggling to stay in a good range when I'm back in maintenance . Does strength training add water weight at first?

It can. I run a 4 week program with the lifting getting steadily heavier over the first 3 weeks. By the end of week 3 I'll have consistently gained 2lb, which will then drop off (plus some more when I'm losing) during the 4th lighter de-load week. But there again a long distance run can see me gain 5-10lb overnight, ToM can see me gain 5lb. A tough workout can see me drop 3lb in a matter of hours.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    So, I will chime in here.....

Please understand that I am not being rude or disrespectful. I state that only because the written word does not always convey the spirit with which a message is being sent. So, saying this from a positive and helpful place! :-)

What other women who are 5'1" consume is not really relevant to you.

We are all different. Well, I am a man, so I am really different! LOL! There are several components that fit into what we need and everyone is unique. Even if there were 100 women with the EXACT same 'numbers' as you, you would all likely have different numbers. Formulas are a good starting point....but we human beings are not formulas. And, formulas do not take into account genetics and previous 'nutritional goals'.

So, the Basal Metabolic Rate (not what you are asking....but the foundation for everything) is determined by a formula. There is one for men and there is a different one for women. This formula is 100 years old, has been updated a few times and is a really good starting point. It is not the answer....you have to do the "trial and error" thing to find out what works specifically for you.

The formula of women is this:

BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

The Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of Calories that you body needs to simply survive. In other words, if you simply laid in bed all day long and did nothing, you still need caloric intake. Our bodies are a bunch of systems and these systems all run, even if we are doing nothing. So, those systems running need energy. We humans get energy in the form of calories.

The BMR is the basis of everything.

Are you familiar with this term? :-)
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2017
    5 even. Around 89 to 93 depending on day. I eat usually less than 1100. Eat til I'm.full and then stop.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    reneeelc wrote: »
    5 even. Around 89 to 93 depending on day. I eat usually less than 1100. Eat til I'm.full and then stop.

My suggestion would be to force yourself to eat at least 1200 calories a day, even if you fill full because you are underweight which isn't all that healthy for you.
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    kokonani wrote: »
    This thread is great! Now I can compare with others as well.. I'm 5'4", 40 Yrs, 114-115lbs. I eat 1500 cal, at maintenance, but I don't know if this is too low. I jog 3-4 days a week, 20 min. Lift light weights. I think I might have to up it a bit..

I totally agree about this thread being great! I just calculated what my maintenance would be (5'4", 65 kg but GW is 55 kg, 39 years old) and when I saw 1630 to maintain this weight I was very surprised. It's good to be aware that the 2000 daily limit is not what I'll be switching to when all's said and done...

And @CoachJen71 I love your comment about what maintenance is. Very good to bear in mind...
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Five three, 120 lb, 48 years old, and 1400 cals. bloody miserable imho

But you have a stunning profile pic, for what it's worth.
  • boulank
    boulank Posts: 51 Member
    Im 5' 2" 36 yo currently 126 want to be 117. I have been maintaining for the last couple months on 1450 with a very long brisk walk each day. I also have a desk job. :smile: great to see most of us are in the same boat being shorties.