Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are GMOs bad for you?

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The only websites I could find that tried to provide any "proof" that Monsanto has infiltrated the FDA in order to ensure their unsafe GMO seeds were approved, also had 9/11 conspiracy theory stories and anti-vax propaganda. And most were selling supplements. :neutral:

Does it have the "Stevie Wonder isn't really blind" conspiracy theory on there? That one is my favorite, and I'm not going to lie, I kind of sort of feel like that one might be true.

"Katy Perry is Jonbenet Ramsey" is my favorite
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The only websites I could find that tried to provide any "proof" that Monsanto has infiltrated the FDA in order to ensure their unsafe GMO seeds were approved, also had 9/11 conspiracy theory stories and anti-vax propaganda. And most were selling supplements. :neutral:

Does it have the "Stevie Wonder isn't really blind" conspiracy theory on there? That one is my favorite, and I'm not going to lie, I kind of sort of feel like that one might be true.

"Katy Perry is Jonbenet Ramsey" is my favorite

I thought it was Taylor swift.....

Maybe that's why they don't like each other :astonished:
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I see you all have taken care of my response for me...no need to respond with any sources. There are plenty of websites that say gmo are harmful.
    Why can't you name one website that says GMO's are harmful? We can then have a look and have a debate about. Not sure why that's so hard.
    A simple Google search will show that, but of course they are not scientific enough to satisfy your requirements so why bother.
    From experience, anti-gmo websites tend to cherry pick poorly done studies, skew the science behind GMO technologies, prey on the scientifically illiterate and fearmongering. But I'm open to be proven wrong.
    All you guys have it all figured out. GMO is perfectly safe because some studies/fda/government say they are.
    A bit of a strawman, no one claims they are perfectly safe, but the data we have now shows that there is no harm in GM foods. If you have any studies showing harm, please post them.
    Also, it is a waste of time for anyone to try and back their beliefs with you guys because they simply get sarcastic responses. I really believe a lot of people don't bother posting there opinions because they will only get ganged up for not having the majority opinion.
    This is such a common excuse from people like yourself. Those with fixed ideologies tend to have very closed minds and usually get their "beliefs" from website that agree with that ideology. As such, your position is very weak and based on limited knowledge so the only way to support your argument id logical fallacies and excuses.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    johnwelk wrote: »
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Well on mammal tests the subjects got cancer
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals
    So I guess it's safe for pregnant women to take thalidomide because it's safe in pregnant rodents?

Or we shouldn't eat chocolate because it can kill a dog?

Thalidomide is perfectly safe and good for morning sickness, so long as you get the correctly handed version. It's when you take the mirror image that things go south.

To me, thalidomide is a warning. It was approved for human use before we understood it properly. Our eagerness to say "this is safe" resulted in great human suffering. How do we know we aren't making the same kind of mistake now?

Thalidomide is a very poor example, given that the widespread havoc that this vaccine caused actually sparked the creation of the FDA and the stringent testing of drugs/vaccines that we currently have in place today.
  • johnwelk
    For you to blindly believe that all the FDA studies you read are 100% legit is really telling.
    Another strawman argument. And why do you assume we blindly believe? A fair number of people on these boards are actual scientists and researchers and who can read and understand the research. There are also people like myself who come from a science based backround who can read and understand the research, and there are people who have a strong love and apptitude for science who can read and understand the research. None of us blindly believing anything. Also, what quack website has you believing the FDA conducts GMO research? For future reference, the FDA does not conduct research on GMO.

What's really telling is that you blindly believe that all the pseudoscience and nonsense you read is 100% legit.
    The FDA is made up of ex-monsanto employees.
    Gonna need some proof for this.
    I don't have a scientific website to back up this claim, so it's probably "slanderous" completely made up, but a number of psuedoscientific books, nonsense articles and quack documentaries have stated this, so I blindly believe its 100% legit.
    Fixed for you.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals
    So I guess it's safe for pregnant women to take thalidomide because it's safe in pregnant rodents?

Thalidomide is perfectly safe and good for morning sickness, so long as you get the correctly handed version. It's when you take the mirror image that things go south.

To me, thalidomide is a warning. It was approved for human use before we understood it properly. Our eagerness to say "this is safe" resulted in great human suffering. How do we know we aren't making the same kind of mistake now?

Thalidomide is a very poor example, given that the widespread havoc that this vaccine caused actually sparked the creation of the FDA and the stringent testing of drugs/vaccines that we currently have in place today.

Actually, not so much. After Thalidomide, women of childbearing age were not recommended to participate in early stage clinical trials at all. So they weren't included. The decision removed a huge portion of the population from testing and has resulted in a number of issues. The one that comes to mind immediately is Ambien. When first released, a number of women died because the acceptable safe dosage was based on male response to the drug and, in the doses specified, had adverse effects on women.
  • johnwelk
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Obviously. Since it's not backed up by a shred of empirical evidence.

Oh how I love posting in these forums and getting wise crack responses for simply stating my opinions and beliefs. I feel like every post I make I must have fully cited sources...like being back in school.

Saying monsanto wrote studies themselves and just slapped a scientist's name on them is not an opinion, it's a lie. And probably slander.

Can you prove that it's not true then?
    That's not how it works. You make the claim, you provide the evidence. It's like me saying to you - prove there is no pink invisible teapot orbiting Mars. I would need to provide proof for my claim. Its an intellectually lazy way to avoid proving your claim by making us prove its false. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
    Are you saying the emails that came out are made up/forged? Prove it with vetted sources.
    What emails are you talking about? Again, your claim, you need to provide the proof.
    (You don't actually have to do this...just being like everyone else.
    Umm...no, not all like everyone else. We are doing the following:
    You make a ridiculous claim, we ask for proof - perfectly reasonable, not sure why you are getting all twisted up by it.
    You are doing this and thinking its the same thing:
    You make a ridiculous claim and ask us to prove its false - completely different.
    You can't prove GMOS are safe just like I can't prove they are harmful.
    Except all the data to date says they are safe and are not harmful
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals

Much of risk management developed from the thalidomide disaster.

Eagerness to say "safety hasn't been proven" despite all evidence to the contrary, resulted in great suffering as well as it does in all cases when emotion is considered over logic.
  • CSARdiver
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals

Thalidomide wasn't a vaccine it was a pill a very good anti nauseant with side effects not noticed in animal testing. It's still used today for cancer patients.

...and perfectly safe once discovered cis/trans isomerism and the associated risk of taking the S variant. The R variant has a very safe pharmacovigilance profile.
  • johnwelk
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals

Can you please elabotrate, not sure what you mean here. There is no safe version of Thalidomide for pregnant women.

• CSARdiver
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals

Can you please elabotrate, not sure what you mean here. There is no safe version of Thalidomide for pregnant women.

The R variant has a very safe pharmacovigilance profile.

c58hduscm413.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals

For one, thalidomide is a thing, "GMO" is a process for creating things. It's like saying "we can't know cooking is safe". There might be things that actually become harmful when cooked but that doesn't make cooking bad, only cooking this one specific thing.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Citation?
    And humans are mammals

For one, thalidomide is a thing, "GMO" is a process for creating things. It's like saying "we can't know cooking is safe". There might be things that actually become harmful when cooked but that doesn't make cooking bad, only cooking this one specific thing.

.Cashews are poisonous raw so cooking is safe..;)

Raw vegans want to kill us all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Awwww. I wanted to be the first person to bring up the orbiting teapot.

There are plenty of examples of governments regulating/banning things based on public opinion rather than evidence. Fluoride is a great example.

http://fluoridealert.org/news/fluoridated-water-ooptional-under-bill-passed-by-arkansas-house/

http://msof.nz/2014/11/other-countries-dont-do-it-excuse/