How much protein is too much?

Options
I recently started using whey protein powder, and on some days (today for example) my protein intake is adding up to about 120 for the day. I was wondering if that was too much or if that amount is still ok, anybody know the answer?

Replies

• a_q_u_a_lizard
    Options
    i was wondering the same thing...some days i make two smoothies ..
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    i have been told time and time again by different people that you should eat 1 gram for every pound you weigh.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i have been told time and time again by different people that you should eat 1 gram for every pound you weigh.

This is what I go by. I tend to hit about 130 140 every day. Do you do a lot of weight lifting? I do it 3-4 times a week and take static trapeze classes, so I need the extra protein.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I do high protein...80-110 grams per day. So 120 is high but if you are exercising alot you might need it.

Only those in the body building areas will go to higher amounts of protein.

I would recommend a Doctors apt just to be sure, they can check your urine, if you are eating too much it will show up there.

Best of Luck!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a low carb (60g or so ) and high protein. I usually get at least 120g a day...sometimes 150. I weigh 130. I've been losing doing this, so I figure since it is working, I'll keep doing it.

Although I have heard 1g per pound of body weight is what you should be consuming...
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I would think you'd have to have a whole lot before having TOO much!!
  • shariklasse
    shariklasse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes one gram er pound is great.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you workout, if you strength train, body composition, etc. I'm supposed to get 142 g protein before exercise. I have my macros set for 30% of my calories to come from protein. I use a high-protein, reduced-carb eating plan.

Protein is typically recommended at approx 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass.

To determine your lean body mass, calculate your body fat as best you can. Your LEAN body mass is your weight - (your weight * body fat % as a decimal).

Hope this helps!

(PS -- You can calculate your approx body fat percentage here: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I would think you'd have to have a whole lot before having TOO much!!

No, excess protein is a common problem because Americans generally eat about 2-3 times the amount they need. It is hard on the body and organs.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

No, excess protein is a common problem because Americans generally eat about 2-3 times the amount they need. It is hard on the body and organs.

Define need. Need for what? Wouldn't protein requirements depend on a person's goals, training regimen, sensitivity to carbs, body structure, etc?

I personally think excess refined carb is a much bigger problem for Americans.

BTW, love your avatar.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It depends somewhat on your activitiy level. I have a hard time not going over on protein, I can't imagine trying to add in supplements. It's not even close to dinner time and I've already maxed out for the day! Ugh!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Define need. Need for what? Wouldn't protein requirements depend on a person's goals, training regimen, sensitivity to carbs, body structure, etc?

BTW, love your avatar.

Just because there is a bigger problem doesn't negate the smaller problem. I don't know how big a problem there is with Americans eating too much protein, but based solely on posts on this site there quite a few people eating more than medical evidence suggests is needed.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Where do get this bull from?

Most Americans get too many carbs if anything. RDA is around 70g which is around 7-8oz of meat, I don't know a lot of people who are not lifters or fitness types that get significanly more than that.

Protein is not hard on the body, the bod REQUIRES protein to build muscle and maintain tissue. It's pretty hard to get too much protein without trying.

If you are 150 pounds, you'd probably have to eat 300g of protein before it gets to be overkill.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

BTW, love your avatar.

Just because there is a bigger problem doesn't negate the smaller problem. I don't know how big a problem there is with Americans eating too much protein, but based solely on posts on this site there quite a few people eating more than medical evidence suggests is needed.

And what medical evidence would you be referring to? And my original question stands..... what do you mean by "need"?
  • bcattoes
    Options

BTW, love your avatar.

And what medical evidence would you be referring to? And my original question stands..... what do you mean by "need"?

Reccommended suggestions from Medical or Scientific organizations that calculate the recommendations based on current evidence based medicine (AMA, NIH, CDC, medical universities, research hospitals, etc.). I would define need as how much your body will use before storing it as fat or overworks your kidneys to process it.
  • liftingbro
    Options

BTW, love your avatar.

Reccommended suggestions from Medical or Scientific organizations that calculate the recommendations based on current evidence based medicine (AMA, NIH, CDC, medical universities, research hospitals, etc.). I would define need as how much your body will use before storing it as fat or overworks your kidneys to process it.

Recommended daily by the CDC and AMA is just what is needed to stay healthy. AFAIK, they have not suggested a level at which you'd be causing bodily harm. Sure, there is probably a level at which you'd store it as fat but then you'd be over maintenance levels for calories as well. I have pretty good background in clinical chemistry and I can tell you that you are just as likely to do damage to your kindneys by drinking too much water as you are eating too much protein. Could it happen? Yes, but without doing it on purpose it's almost impossible, it would take massive amounts.
  • NickAmrine
    Options
    some body builders actually eat as much as 300 grams of protein per day but realize that they are getting it mostly in their foods and only 1-2 protein shakes... so no 120 is not too much at all
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

BTW, love your avatar.

Well the debate between people within the US RDA camp vs. people who are more active and swear by the benefits of an increase protein intake has been going on for about 3 decades now, so talking about it now really isn't going to settle anything.

However, I must point out some seriously flawed logic to your post. If the amount of protein we need is what the mainstream medical community says...and you define need as how much our body will use before storing it as fat...then I should be seriously fat. I've been consuming approximately 140 grams of protein per day. But according to you, I only need 70 grams. Do you see what I'm getting at? But my body-fat has been slowly going down over the weeks.

Also, people have been eating high protein diets for decades with no noticeable increase in reported kidney problems. Yes, people who ALREADY HAVE bad kidneys should keep their protein consumption (as well as an assortment of other foods) to a minimum, but for the rest of us, it would take an incredible amount of protein to overwork our kidneys. Protein hurting your kidneys is an outdated line of thinking that has been disproved by scientific research.

To the OP, my suggestion would be to enjoy your protein shakes. If anything, replacing your other macros with protein will accelerate fat loss.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there's such a thing as too much protein for a traditional diet. Probably is, but I haven't done the research so I can't speak to it.

But for low carb diets, more than 40% can be detrimental for some people as their body may process the excess like carbs and knock us out of ketosis.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    some body builders actually eat as much as 300 grams of protein per day but realize that they are getting it mostly in their foods and only 1-2 protein shakes... so no 120 is not too much at all

Yes, they actually will more than 300g in a day sometimes because they have a huge amount of lean mass and are on intense training programs.

Sure, 200g of protein is probably more than someone who is inactive but if you are an average sized guy that lifts weights 4 days per week that's not too much.