How long to see results?

Options
Hi all.

I've been working out 6 times a week for about 5 weeks. I do Muay Thai (kickboxing) 3 times a week for about 60 minutes, and I do cycling 3 times a week for 30-60 minutes. I recently started adding in strength exercises, as well.

I've also been dieting on about 1400 calories for about 3 months.

My question is, given this information, how long should it take for me to see results? The scale hasn't budged a pound, and I've actually gained weight. However, my Fitbit scale says I haven't gained any muscle mass.

I'm really working hard, but I'm not seeing any results, so I'm kind of losing faith that I'll ever lose weight. I'm trying to lose 70lbs.

Thanks!
-Kaylee

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale? Do you cheat on your diet (go over calories) very often?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If this is the case, you're eating more than you think you are or you need to see a doctor. When you cut calories and you're in a deficit, you typically start losing weight right away...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're putting a lot more attention to exercise than diet here, and if your primary goal is to lose weight, it's almost always best to do it the other way around. If you want to slap arbitrary numbers I just made up on it, I would say that at least 80% of your effort should go towards your diet and no more than 20% toward exercise.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You are eating far more than you think!
  • kjellina
    kjellina Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do see a doctor and a nutritionist. I measure my food and record it in MFP- the highest I go is 1500 calories, and that isn't often. I'm also on phentermine.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Measure or weigh? Using measuring cups can be very inaccurate.
  • kjellina
    Options
    I'm also vegan, so I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. I eat nuts and beans and soy for protein.
  • kjellina
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Measure or weigh? Using measuring cups can be very inaccurate.

I use measuring cups. Do you think I should get a good scale?
  • kjellina
    Options
    *food scale, damn autocorrect
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Yes, I would get a food scale and weigh everything for the next month.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'd get a food scale (they're pretty cheap), just to double check you're tracking accurately.
  • kjellina
    Options

Most of the food I eat is, for instance "an apple", so I just use MFP and search for "apple". Should I be weighing things like apples, bananas, and broccoli?
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I've been going for about a month.... and I've dropped a solid 4 lbs. Just waiting to SEE the results.
  • kjellina
    Options
    I'll get a food scale, but also keep in mind that I do see a nutritionist, and she's the one who said my diet is good, and she's the one who told me to exercise 6x per week.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kjellina wrote: »

Most of the food I eat is, for instance "an apple", so I just use MFP and search for "apple". Should I be weighing things like apples, bananas, and broccoli?

Yes. A small banana versus a large banana (by weight) can be 50 calorie difference. Same thing for apples. Nuts are by far the easiest thing to measure wrong and be off by 100+ calories.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I'll get a food scale, but also keep in mind that I do see a nutritionist, and she's the one who said my diet is good, and she's the one who told me to exercise 6x per week.

Then why ask us?
  • kjellina
    Options

Then why ask us?

Because it's not working...?
  • kjellina
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I've also been dieting on about 1400 calories for about 3 months.
    Thanks!
    -Kaylee
    This statement almost surely indicates that you have not been logging your food. (if you have, please make your diary public for suggestions) Accurately weighing and logging everything you eat is mandatory if you feel you are doing it all right and still not seeing results.

I've been measuring my food and tracking it for a few months. I'll make my diary public.